My battery improved drastically

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I read a couple of posts on here lastnight about skype and battery monitoring apps draining the 920's battery so i uninstalled them and its had a drastic effect on my battery. So thanks to whoever posted them.

Normally my battery would have drained 15-20% with very light use during a few hours but with skype and that battery app uninstalled its not even dropped by 5%. Skype wasn't running in background, the battery app was. I checked battery usage with the settings/battery option to get a reading.

The oddest thing is i never really used skype but i used to check my battery constantly with the app i had.

Might be worth other users trying this to see if your battery improves.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have Skype installed and a battery monitor app and am still at 100% since taking of the charger 3 hours ago with some light messaging use only.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Weird how they would affect other 920's differently. Im not going to bother with anymore battery apps now, i find they make me more paranoid battery watching all the time lol.

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Im dunt know about Skype but something that was eating up my battery was Nomia Music app. After each run, eventhough I closed it ( back back back to home screen), still it was kinda running in background and khaving fun with my battery. i unstalled it

dploypos

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Could it be that its not really the apps that are causing the issues but the wifi? I have noticed that if I disable wifi and rely only on cell network internet access my battery is better for many apps...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How do you know?

I know because Windows Phone 8 is very buggy. It's new. Even when you close the apps by "backing out", the nature in which the OS handles the apps does not mean it's always closed.
Processes get hung in the background even though they are closed.

This is why a lot of people get battery drains and heating up of their phones. Because the process is stuck in the background. Rebooting the phone generally fixes it.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was the one who posted about Skype. While I can't comment about other battery apps, I'm using Battery Sense and it's been great. It's free and lately new.

Skype was definitely a killer for me. One reason I uninstalled it was because I saw substantial loss in standby time since I installed it a few days prior. After uninstalling it's gotten even better than before I had it.

Note that Microsoft's Outlook mobile EAS has been down yesterday (and today) for some users like me. That might have helped as well.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Im dunt know about Skype but something that was eating up my battery was Nomia Music app. After each run, eventhough I closed it ( back back back to home screen), still it was kinda running in background and khaving fun with my battery. i unstalled it

There was a discussion in another thread that it was almost any music app. We found this: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211005-3.htm#post1846390

Try turning off the two options shown in that screenshot, should help with any music app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I know because Windows Phone 8 is very buggy. It's new. Even when you close the apps by "backing out", the nature in which the OS handles the apps does not mean it's always closed.Processes get hung in the background even though they are closed.

That is not called "knowing". That is a guess, or at best a hunch.

Unfortunately I have nothing better to offer. I have been told by Nokia developers that not all of these battery drain issues have the same cause, and more often than not the issues are related to flaky behaviour on multiple levels... hardware, OS and app. It's not such a simple issue you could point a single finger at and say: "there is the culprit".

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have surmised all along that it is not the fault of any single app, but how it interacts with Windows Phone OS. I have believed that something continues to run in the background that causes a process (cpu, network activity, memory leak, etc) that causes the battery to drain faster than it should.

KelvBlue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
That is not called "knowing". That is a guess, or at best a hunch.

Unfortunately I have nothing better to offer. I have been told by Nokia developers that not all of these battery drain issues have the same cause, and more often than not the issues are related to flaky behaviour on multiple levels... hardware, OS and app. It's not such a simple issue you could point a single finger at and say: "there is the culprit".

Whatsapp is another one, they deliberately coded it to hijack the music player and acting like it is streaming to keep the WiFi signal on, chewing up the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb