My phone melted in my pocket!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well not literally. But this is THE strangest thing Ive seen. It wasn't just hot. It actually made my thighs feel the heat through my jeans!

The weird part - NO background tasks. My phone is stock. No apps installed. All Nokia apps removed. Only hotmail and twitter accounts in sync. Hotmail on manual sync. Location, WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth off. 3G connectivity on.

I have no idea what my phone was trying to do. My battery went from 87% to 6% when I removed my boiling hot phone.

Any takers?

garrymcd

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is interesting...I got my phone on 11/9 and I've had no problems at all. Then yesterday I went upstairs, leaving my phone downstairs for half an hour. When I came back, the phone was really hot even though it had been sitting there idle. The battery had gone from about 90% to 36%. All in the space of half an hour! I have no idea what caused it, and it's been fine since.

I don't know where you are, but are you near Denver by any chance? This was about 2pm yesterday....maybe AT&T were doing some network stuff? Just guessing here.

Anyway, it's the strangest thing I've seen with this phone.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is interesting...I got my phone on 11/9 and I've had no problems at all. Then yesterday I went upstairs, leaving my phone downstairs for half an hour. When I came back, the phone was really hot even though it had been sitting there idle. The battery had gone from about 90% to 36%. All in the space of half an hour! I have no idea what caused it, and it's been fine since.

I don't know where you are, but are you near Denver by any chance? This was about 2pm yesterday....maybe AT&T were doing some network stuff? Just guessing here.

Anyway, it's the strangest thing I've seen with this phone.

Nah, I am thousands of miles away from Denver. I'm in London.
This is definitely the strangest thing. I am not sure why this happens. How it does. But such a reaction, out of nowhere is unexplainable. To be honest Ive read a few peeps say it, but had no idea it was this bad. If I do find out anything more on this, I will report back.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When my phone heats up like that in my pocket, I just blame it on the jealousy it has of being next to something even more massive than the phone.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Were you in an area with bad cellular reception? Because if its getting weak signal it will heat up trying to find a better one, and draining the battery even quicker.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I dont know why people see this as a lumia problem, i have the same thing happen from time to time on my HTC one-X and there is never a reason for it. I usually just reboot the phone and it works fine until it happens again.

Shawn

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I dont know why people see this as a lumia problem, i have the same thing happen from time to time on my HTC one-X and there is never a reason for it. I usually just reboot the phone and it works fine until it happens again.

Shawn

This is something that is a bit of encouragement! But this shouldn't have been that bad. I mean come on, they've nailed it every time in past one year! Kept the updates flowing frequently. The last thing I expect is such a random temperature BS!

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I see the same thing. When I put the 920 on my kitchen table for any amount of time it gets hot and drains. If its in my pocket its OK most of the time, but it's warmed my leg up a few times too. Its got to have something to do with cell reception. Like you I have nothing running in the background.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Shawn

Probably because the One X sucks too. I am so glad I got rid of it.

Andi_N

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think that's normal especially if your phone is trying to find cellular reception. My old Blackberry used to heat up so much and I mean SO much, when it's switching between 2G and 3G (which usually happens when I'm travelling). I guess a solution would be to set your phone to only receive a specific type of signal and not on auto.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that's normal especially if your phone is trying to find cellular reception. My old Blackberry used to heat up so much and I mean SO much, when it's switching between 2G and 3G (which usually happens when I'm travelling). I guess a solution would be to set your phone to only receive a specific type of signal and not on auto.

I was in central London, which has about 99.99% 3G coverage. Most of it even now has 4G coverage. I doubt, if my phone was looking for 2G. However, after today's Network+ update my phone has lost all types for signals for more than 10-15 minutes, about 3 times! Only restart has got my signals back each time. So perhaps like you said, a radio issue.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
these threads with an eccentric title are funny. you're phone melted in your pocket yet you were able to get the network+ update today. if anything that speaks to nokia's build quality. lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre