Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    838 Posts
       #1  
    I received a multimedia message from a friend today and it would not download. Later one I tried to send one, but it wouldn't do it. I was connected to WiFi so assumed it may piggyback off that if necessary. Was having none of it until I turned on the mobile internet though.

    All my previous phones have automatically sent the messages without me having to fool around with this. Is there a setting I have missed?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

    Gamertag: peachy001
  2. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I received a multimedia message from a friend today and it would not download. Later one I tried to send one, but it wouldn't do it. I was connected to WiFi so assumed it may piggyback off that if necessary. Was having none of it until I turned on the mobile internet though.

    All my previous phones have automatically sent the messages without me having to fool around with this. Is there a setting I have missed?
    MMS messages use your phones cellular data connection. It would never go through WiFi, never has and never will.
    Thanked by:
  3. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    838 Posts
       #3  
    I can live with that, but can't I set it to download automatically?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

    Gamertag: peachy001
  4. #4  
    Unfortunately you can't
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
  5. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    838 Posts
       #5  
    Damn.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

    Gamertag: peachy001
  6. #6  
    If you have mobile internet on, it automatically downloads.
    Thanked by:
  7. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    838 Posts
       #7  
    I will be honest, I rarely have that on. I thought it would be a waste of the battery. At home I just have WiFi on. Incidentally, if I have both on, does it use only WiFi?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

    Gamertag: peachy001
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I will be honest, I rarely have that on. I thought it would be a waste of the battery. At home I just have WiFi on. Incidentally, if I have both on, does it use only WiFi?
    No phone, no service provider will let MMS be delivered off WiFi. Even SGS3 won't do this or iPhone. It is a service provider thing. Like you need at least 2G connection (WiFi on or off doesn't matter) for short messaging service (SMS); you need 3G/4G connection (WiFi on or off doesn't matter) for multimedia messaging service (MMS).
  9. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    838 Posts
       #9  
    I understand the mms bit. What I wondered was whether the system will automatically browse the web or pull emails using the WiFi if both it and mobile data is turned on. Incidentally, the hd voice calling feature, does that also require me to have data running, I would assume not.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

    Gamertag: peachy001
  10. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I understand the mms bit. What I wondered was whether the system will automatically browse the web or pull emails using the WiFi if both it and mobile data is turned on. Incidentally, the hd voice calling feature, does that also require me to have data running, I would assume not.
    the phone will pull data over WiFi when its available (browsing Facebook, streaming music etc...) MMS and visual voicemail is and will always be via cellular data.
    Thanked by:
  11. slick5150's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I understand the mms bit. What I wondered was whether the system will automatically browse the web or pull emails using the WiFi if both it and mobile data is turned on. Incidentally, the hd voice calling feature, does that also require me to have data running, I would assume not.
    Yes, if you're connected to WiFi you're not using any mobile data even if you keep it on save for a few instances, one being sending/receiving MMS messages. There's really not much point in turning it off. Your cell modem needs to stay connected to the network anyway to send/receive calls and SMS, so you're not really saving any battery anyway.
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    Okay, I know that it's impossible to send/receive MMS's without a connection. However, on my old N8, just by having an MMS APN set up would allow the phone to access temporarily he Network (no charges) to get the MMS, even if I haven't yet set up any access point for data connection. But with my Lumia 900, I can't just do that. I have to have both APNs set up and if I were to be sending an MMS, I will be charged twice, one for MMS itself and another for the Data Connection. It's never happened to me before :(, even when I had those old dumb cell phone phones. Now, apparently, I have a smartphone which cannot do something that an ordinary cell phone can do hands down. Does this happen with Windows 8 as well?

Similar Threads

  1. My Samsung Focus will not turn on.
    By ninjachisty in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 09:30 AM
  2. New messages not showing up on lock screen
    By blinkyjesus in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  3. WiFi and 3G turned on together -> not good
    By PaulosV in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
  4. Nokia not turning on
    By aaronchow in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
  5. phone does not turn on
    By jiggawho in forum Dell Venue Pro
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions