MMS messages not displayed unless I turn on mobile internet... Help welcome

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I received a multimedia message from a friend today and it would not download. Later one I tried to send one, but it wouldn't do it. I was connected to WiFi so assumed it may piggyback off that if necessary. Was having none of it until I turned on the mobile internet though.

All my previous phones have automatically sent the messages without me having to fool around with this. Is there a setting I have missed?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I received a multimedia message from a friend today and it would not download. Later one I tried to send one, but it wouldn't do it. I was connected to WiFi so assumed it may piggyback off that if necessary. Was having none of it until I turned on the mobile internet though.

All my previous phones have automatically sent the messages without me having to fool around with this. Is there a setting I have missed?

MMS messages use your phones cellular data connection. It would never go through WiFi, never has and never will.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I will be honest, I rarely have that on. I thought it would be a waste of the battery. At home I just have WiFi on. Incidentally, if I have both on, does it use only WiFi?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I will be honest, I rarely have that on. I thought it would be a waste of the battery. At home I just have WiFi on. Incidentally, if I have both on, does it use only WiFi?

No phone, no service provider will let MMS be delivered off WiFi. Even SGS3 won't do this or iPhone. It is a service provider thing. Like you need at least 2G connection (WiFi on or off doesn't matter) for short messaging service (SMS); you need 3G/4G connection (WiFi on or off doesn't matter) for multimedia messaging service (MMS).

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand the mms bit. What I wondered was whether the system will automatically browse the web or pull emails using the WiFi if both it and mobile data is turned on. Incidentally, the hd voice calling feature, does that also require me to have data running, I would assume not.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I understand the mms bit. What I wondered was whether the system will automatically browse the web or pull emails using the WiFi if both it and mobile data is turned on. Incidentally, the hd voice calling feature, does that also require me to have data running, I would assume not.

the phone will pull data over WiFi when its available (browsing Facebook, streaming music etc...) MMS and visual voicemail is and will always be via cellular data.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes, if you're connected to WiFi you're not using any mobile data even if you keep it on save for a few instances, one being sending/receiving MMS messages. There's really not much point in turning it off. Your cell modem needs to stay connected to the network anyway to send/receive calls and SMS, so you're not really saving any battery anyway.

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I know that it's impossible to send/receive MMS's without a connection. However, on my old N8, just by having an MMS APN set up would allow the phone to access temporarily he Network (no charges) to get the MMS, even if I haven't yet set up any access point for data connection. But with my Lumia 900, I can't just do that. I have to have both APNs set up and if I were to be sending an MMS, I will be charged twice, one for MMS itself and another for the Data Connection. It's never happened to me before :(, even when I had those old dumb cell phone phones. Now, apparently, I have a smartphone which cannot do something that an ordinary cell phone can do hands down. Does this happen with Windows 8 as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos