would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Everything is awesome, battery life is good, Win Phone OS has it's limitations but to be honest the greatest selling point ..... drum roll ...... CAMERA is not what they advertised. Sure awesome video capture but average daylight pictures. I have been a Nokia fan through out my life so sadly I am already waiting for their next 13MP phone, May be I will be able to snap quality pictures without messing with the settings.

Nobody advertised you will get DSLR (or even 808) like performance in daylight. Most cameras with similar sensor technology get you similar pictures in daylight. Where the 920 blows away the competition is in low light and great video in any light due to the world's first OIS in phone camera. That's what they advertised and delivered.

Back to the OP, I highly recommend this phone.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Unless someone has a particular app that they cant live without that isn't available, I would definitely recommend it. Love my 920!

dustin337

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I wouldn't recommend 920. I've finally got decent battery life after two devices and 3 months of trial and error. I can make it 12-14 hrs as long as almost everything is off and I don't use it. Camera is point, click, bad picture, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again adjust settings, and finally a good picture. Had dust under ffc on first device, didn't care I don't use ffc, but haven't had problem with this one. I don't find any of the Nokia apps a must have, but that's just me. I'm waiting for next flagship device so I can be done with my 920. Its ok, but for $500 I feel like I bought a mid grade phone with mediocre build quality. Not a top tier phone it was hyped to be.

I have a feeling all that turmoil, though not your fault, has more spoiled the phone for you than the actual phone.

I can say that this is the best phone I've ever owned, having previously owned several iOS devices and Android. I lose 4.3% of battery per hour with HEAVY usage (10,000 texts a month, 2+ gigs of data), no background tasks blocked and several live tiles. I usually end the day with plenty of battery to spare.
As far as the camera, it takes excellent photos. I am usually at a bar with my friends on the weekend, and they are always blown away at the quality of the photos.
I am not a heavy app user, but I am a traveling musician and Nokia Drive is excellent.

I think the biggest issue that a lot of people take for granted about WP8 is the fluidity and response of the OS.... There is absolutely no input lag even under the most stressful conditions, which I believe is more a testament to WP8 than the Lumia 920.

cayano

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have the iPhone 5 and nexus 4 and neither of them are flawless. They have their own issues. IPhone 5 is so fragile and nexus 4 lack of LTE and only 8 and 16GB. As long as you understand the Nokia Lumia 920 weakness you will be happy with it. This phone is very gorgeous. And the most important to me, it is different.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No!

I've had my 920 for a bit over a month and it locks up every now and then. Call quality is actually quite good. Battery life is absurdly bad, and it doesn't matter what I turn off, not that I should have to. Camera isn't nearly what Nokia said it would be, and now dust is building up around the front sensor. I plan on calling att and getting a replacement, if that phone doesn't offer better battery life and better overall quality I'm going to demand a refund.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Got my 920 on release day. I would have no problems recomending it.

It has it's pros and cons like anything but I like it better than any iphone or android phone I have ever used.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Yes. As long they realize it's potential and understand it's limitations at the present time.

Yes, what you said. For me the phone is fun to use. For my dad, I just recommended an iPhone to him. Everyone in my family has iPhones, and facetime is great for him. The simplicity is good too. I have had iPhones since the first one, and am just bored with the OS. I tried a 920, S3, and an iPhone 5 before settling on my yellow 920.

It is a great phone, just make sure it does what you NEED now, and hope that it can do what you WANT in the future (Logmein or VPN anyone?).

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling all that turmoil, though not your fault, has more spoiled the phone for you than the actual phone.

I can say that this is the best phone I've ever owned, having previously owned several iOS devices and Android. I lose 4.3% of battery per hour with HEAVY usage (10,000 texts a month

BS!! With moderate use I see a battery loss of 30 to 40% an hour.

Last edited:

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on who I'm talking to. Can not fully recommend until you can watch and buy videos, music problems are solved and Skype is as easy to use as face time. But right now I couldn't imagine walking half my family through the switch from ios.

dustin337

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
BS!! With moderate use I see a battery loss of 30 to 40%

....an hour? Then something is inherently wrong with your device, unless you're being sarcastic. This is off topic though, so PM if you'd like a screenshot of my battery stats.

Another thing to point out, the people posting on forums are typically the people experiencing problems with their devices. So while it may seem like a large sum of people are having issues it's just that the larger sum who aren't having issues are busy enjoying it.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
had every single problem reported on my first 920 bought on release weekend, except for freezing and rebooting.
just got my replacement 2 days ago and this new device is perfect! faultless!
get it!

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I would of said no in November but by now they have probably sorted the battery issues and any hardware defects. It's a decent phone. Would I straight swap for an iPhone 5? Yes but then I would sell it, buy another Lumia and have a bit of change lol

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Btw, my battery life was never awful, but its unreal now. I can always make it into the second day on a charge. I have two push emails; weather, battery and a wallpaper app on my lock screen; plus Skype, IM+, and other stuff running in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs