Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shr4van
  • 1 Post By freestaterocker

Hi,

I just got my Lumia 920 today. I shut-down the phone & then plugged it in to charge. Once I plugged it in, the phone automatically booted up. Is this normal?

I also tried leaving my charger on & shutting down the phone. It automatically boots up after shutting down. Has anybody experienced this?
    That's normal. It will turn on whenever it is connected to the charger.
    Thanked by:

Yeah, I noticed this and I wasn't impressed. Surely the phone will charge more quickly if turned off?
    Just another quirk to get used to I suppose.

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I still can't understand why someone'd design it that way. My Android used to stay shut if I shut it down to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    That's normal. It will turn on whenever it is connected to the charger.
    I don't know if the iPhone 5 still does this; however, the iPhone 4S did the same thing. http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4s/22...iphone-4s.html

This is actually how most smartphones work. I own tons of phones and more turn on when plugged in than don't.

Very interesting. I guess I'll just have to accept the quirk. Either way, I'm loving the 920 & WP8

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I don't know if the iPhone 5 still does this; however, the iPhone 4S did the same thing. http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4s/22...iphone-4s.html
    Laura Knotek and bawfar like this.
    AFAIK Android devices are the only smartphones that don't automatically power up when charging. My wife's Android phone doesn't...

I think maybe MS (and apple) went with a software solution to prevent overcharging rather than a hardware one. This would mean the phone would have to be on while charging to make sure you don't cook your battery.
    shr4van likes this.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewovener View Post
    Yeah, I noticed this and I wasn't impressed. Surely the phone will charge more quickly if turned off?
    Just another quirk to get used to I suppose.
    My Nexus 7 tablet takes more than 12 hours to fully charge when turned off but it takes about 6 hours or less while on.

*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    My Nexus 7 tablet takes more than 12 hours to fully charge when turned off but it takes about 6 hours or less while on.

*shrug*
    That's weird. I can't pretend to understand that!

Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    AFAIK Android devices are the only smartphones that don't automatically power up when charging. My wife's Android phone doesn't...
    I was an Android child before the beautiful Lumia, so I thought in my smartphone naivete that that was how they all would function....

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    That's weird. I can't pretend to understand that!
    I don't pretend that I understand it either.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I don't pretend that I understand it either.
    Me neither. Logic fails me. How can a tablet require more juice when switched off than when switched on?

I was an Android child before the beautiful Lumia, so I thought in my smartphone naivete that that was how they all would function....
    Don't worry, we've all been there at some point. When I got my first BlackBerry it took me 2 weeks to find the "Menu" key.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Yes, the same thing keeps happening to my Lumia 920 as well.

Frankly, I have to go through shut-down procedure a couple of times before unit shuts down.

When I finally get it to shut down and then plug in charger it boots back up!

If it is plugged into charger unit will not shut down at all, it just reboots itself.

There is also a "hard shutdown" where one can hold the Volume Key and the Power Off key at same time. I have had to use this a couple of times when Lumia 920 simply hung up during a shutdown.

What am I missing.

I am new to threads and have not read the other posts yet so if I am going over old ground, please excuse.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abita Springs View Post
    Yes, the same thing keeps happening to my Lumia 920 as well.

Frankly, I have to go through shut-down procedure a couple of times before unit shuts down.

When I finally get it to shut down and then plug in charger it boots back up!

If it is plugged into charger unit will not shut down at all, it just reboots itself.

There is also a "hard shutdown" where one can hold the Volume Key and the Power Off key at same time. I have had to use this a couple of times when Lumia 920 simply hung up during a shutdown.

What am I missing.

I am new to threads and have not read the other posts yet so if I am going over old ground, please excuse.

Thanks.
    It's normal for all Windows Phones.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Me neither. Logic fails me. How can a tablet require more juice when switched off than when switched on?
    It's not that the tablet requires more juice. Chargers are smart nowadays. They will send a minimal trickle, until told to send more. If the tablet/phone/whatever is turned off, it isn't able to send the charger the request for more. When the device turns on, it tells the charger it is ready for a real current, and the charger accommodates.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    It's not that the tablet requires more juice. Chargers are smart nowadays. They will send a minimal trickle, until told to send more. If the tablet/phone/whatever is turned off, it isn't able to send the charger the request for more. When the device turns on, it tells the charger it is ready for a real current, and the charger accommodates.

With the wireless charging this is the case, but with USB wall adaptors it really isn't. They just provide an efficient 5V of up to 10W and the phone can pull whatever it likes up to this. The data pins on the USB adaptor specify the charger capability. And there are both USB specs on this (BC1.2) as well as about 8 proprietary methods of indicating capability, typically by setting the pins to differing voltages or shorting them. The phone doesn't tell the wall adaptor anything.

Edit: You are right in that chargers are typically smart and do regulate supply to the battery/operating device dependent on it's power requirements. The charger basically balances the output to the charging and device operating demands.

Hi , it is common for all the smartphones to boot up while charging while they are shutdown. that's not a big issues .