Touchscreen responsiveness delay?

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, is anyone experiencing this issue with your Windows Phone 8?

To reproduce:
- Power off
- Press power button and immediately swipe up to unlock

Will it unlock after the immediate initial swipe?

And which ROM/Carrier/Country model you have?

Thanks

NOTE: What I'm after here is not complain, just seeking to know if most ROMs are affected so I can report it to Nokia and they can take corrective actions. I want all the best for Nokia, and small feedback like this is what contributes to perfection. WP is known to be blazingly fast and responsive, so better follow that line on all aspects.

UPDATE

After personally testing on several phones/brands, can confirm this is not a Nokia specific issue, it's a general issue with Windows Phone 8.

Phones tested and having this issue:
- Nokia Lumia 920
- Nokia Lumia 820
- Samsung Ativ
- HTC 8x
(all of them have Windows Phone 8)

Phones tested and not having the issue:
- Nokia Lumia 800
- Nokia Lumia 710
- Nokia Lumia 505
- Samsung Focus S
(all of them have Windows Phone 7.5)

This might not be relevant, but also tested on a Galaxy S3 (has the issue) and iPhone 5 (does not have the issue).

So since this is Windows Phone 8 related, I have created a Uservoice topic, please contribute voting so MS can resolve this soon:
Quickly unlocking after powering on (fails)

Last edited:

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's the point... It does not happen with the 800 which is older OS, older technology.

Power button is POWER button, don't make me wait for the power. It annoys me... pretty much every time I have to swipe 2 times to unlock...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sooooo, I don't have this problem, then again, I wait a half a second after hitting the power button to swipe. You know, after it's finished fading in.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You are totally within your rights to want to swipe immediately and not wait a second. Now if I could just get back the 51 seconds wasted watching that.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that my 710's responsiveness did concern me when considering the 920. The screen can take a second or two to come on after hitting the power button. In other cases, the screen comes to life, but the touch function is faulty. I have to hit the power button, then try again. The second attempt is always successful.

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You are totally within your rights to want to swipe immediately and not wait a second. Now if I could just get back the 51 seconds wasted watching that.
Yeah but if you are going to have the phone for 365 days unlocking it about 10 times a day that's about 1 hour (being sarcastic...:grin:) But come on, it's a high end device, this needs to be resolved by Nokia. Even when the older 800 does not face it.

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No.

For 800 you are touching the screen after it lit up, for 920 you are doing it before it lit up - thus the touch wasn't registered. Non-issue / as expected.

That's true but it's a technical justification. The real fact is that after pressing the power button you have to "wait" before you unlock. Some people might be slower, some faster. If the 920 is going to be widely used this kind of issue shouldn't exist. It's user experience.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's true but it's a technical justification. The real fact is that after pressing the power button you have to "wait" before you unlock. Some people might be slower, some faster. If the 920 is going to be widely used this kind of issue shouldn't exist. It's user experience.

you really might want to seek help if a millisecond is going to cause you so much grief. Seriously its a non issue except for the most severe ocd....

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that my 710's responsiveness did concern me when considering the 920. The screen can take a second or two to come on after hitting the power button. In other cases, the screen comes to life, but the touch function is faulty. I have to hit the power button, then try again. The second attempt is always successful.
Yes you feel the impact mostly after changing from one phone to another.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes you feel the impact mostly after changing from one phone to another.

You'll get used to it, and it hopefully will not bother you after a week or so. Just remember that your reward for waiting an extra half-second is that you now are using a more capable phone that has a few years of updates and usefulness ahead of it, rather than being at the tail end of the OS' life like any WP7 device.

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You'll get used to it, and it hopefully will not bother you after a week or so. Just remember that your reward for waiting an extra half-second is that you now are using a more capable phone that has a few years of updates and usefulness ahead of it, rather than being at the tail end of the OS' life like any WP7 device.
You mentioned the clue word. What I'm after here is not complain, just seeking to know if most 920 ROMs are affected so I can report it to Nokia and they can take corrective actions. I want all the best for Nokia, and small feedback like this is what contributes to perfection. WP is known to be blazingly fast and responsive, so better follow that line on all aspects.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Would've helped if you said that in your original post. Some threads don't have that intention and that's why some of the responses. I'd say if you think it could be an issue, contact Nokia regardless. It sure won't hurt.

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes just added that to the initial post. Most people has quite defensive attitude here. Will soon send to Nokia, since almost anyone has denied the existence of the issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte