Be careful with the new WiFi always on feature!

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes because it loses its WiFi connection. There is no way for it to "hand off" the connection to cellular from WiFi and back again. It requires a new connection to be made or waits for the old one to become available again.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Let me clarify. Portico introduced the wifi always-on option. By default it's off. But if you turn that on, leave your wifi area and then try to use data, it *sometimes* fails to switch over to 3G or LTE in a timely manner. It does switch over after a while (30 sec, 2 minutes?) or you can immediately make it work by turning off or toggling wifi. It seems as if phone is trying to make extra sure that the wifi access point is not there before switching over to cellular data. Not a huge deal but..

Um, your new router could be way stronger and you actually do have a connection farther away and something else entirely is eating your data. I don't have a Lumia 920 but my 8x works just fine with wifi always on.

Ne0natal

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the wifi always on. I went over my data limit this month and from ATT logs, most of the data was used ard midnight when i was at home where i have wifi. ATT guy asked me to turn data off but this is not a solution. I shouldn't have to do that. Its supposed to be a *smart* phone. Anybody found a solution?

@Steve Ridges - I could not find the other thread on this topic. Link please.

popeyesailer

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my wife's lumia 920. It is burning up data at home at midnight where I have wifi and nobody is using the phone.

Called ATT and they told me to shut the cell data off. That is crazy. I have a Lumia 900 that does not have this problem.

Anthony80693

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Download an App called "Active Now!". It tells you what kind of connection albeit WiFi or Cellular the phone is currently using. It help me a lot and dictates which and much apps I use depending on what connection I'm using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss