Why need to enable Bluetooth to use NFC?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
After few weeks of using the phone, yesterday I tried to use NFC to send photos to Galaxy SIII, and the phone asked to enable Bluetooth? If need to enable Bluetooth first, what's the point of using NFC to transfer photos? And yesterday it failed, the Galaxy SIII can only detect but nothing happened. Haven't tried it on other Lumia 920 yet.
So, I sent the photos using Bluetooth to the SIII and it worked. Very quickly and convenient.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Sending files via NFC to another phone that is not running WP8 will be limited on the type of files. What type of files? I'm not sure. I just remember reading about it.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi
As I understand it S3 uses wifi direct after its made a NFC connection and L920 uses Bluetooth after NFC e.g the NFC just helps pair the two phones to send the data over another technology as NFC transfers are quite slow. It is abit annoying you cant send from wp8 to droid via nfc as they use different tech but maybe one day they will support each others systems

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
NFC is used to negotiate a bluetooth connection. It saves all the pairing, discovering and pin code nonsense. The actual transfer is done with bluetooth not NFC.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sending files via NFC to another phone that is not running WP8 will be limited on the type of files. What type of files? I'm not sure. I just remember reading about it.
Just trying to send the photos taken using the Lumia 920 to the SIII. And I think image file should be supported.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi
As I understand it S3 uses wifi direct after its made a NFC connection and L920 uses Bluetooth after NFC e.g the NFC just helps pair the two phones to send the data over another technology as NFC transfers are quite slow. It is abit annoying you cant send from wp8 to droid via nfc as they use different tech but maybe one day they will support each others systems
NFC is standardized just like Bluetooth. I just think it should work, regardless of the OS, unless the OS specifically limited its functionality. Such as: On Bluetooth, only support Headset, not Data Transfer.
Gonna try it on other Lumia 920 to see whether it works just like the advertisement.

NFC is used to negotiate a bluetooth connection. It saves all the pairing, discovering and pin code nonsense. The actual transfer is done with bluetooth not NFC.
True, and NFC will come to handy when in a room full of people, all the bluetooth connections are on.
When the rooms are empty or not crowded, it's actually easier to send using Bluetooth. Beside, it can find the SIII and connected to it using Bluetooth pretty fast.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
NFC is standardized just like Bluetooth. I just think it should work, regardless of the OS, unless the OS specifically limited its functionality. Such as: On Bluetooth, only support Headset, not Data Transfer.
Gonna try it on other Lumia 920 to see whether it works just like the advertisement.
I know the NFC works and you can send web pages between the devices (920 <-> s3) issues occur because its not the nfc which does the transfer of the file its the other tech(wifi direct/bt) wp wants to use BT droid wants to use wifi direct so it doesnt work

Noskal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
After few weeks of using the phone, yesterday I tried to use NFC to send photos to Galaxy SIII, and the phone asked to enable Bluetooth? If need to enable Bluetooth first, what's the point of using NFC to transfer photos? And yesterday it failed, the Galaxy SIII can only detect but nothing happened. Haven't tried it on other Lumia 920 yet.
So, I sent the photos using Bluetooth to the SIII and it worked. Very quickly and convenient.

Haha yeah, i too found this quite silly. Few days ago i tried to send some pictures from my gf's 820 to my 920 via NFC, when i tap our phones, both of us was asked to enable our BT first in settings. Just WTF? What's the point having an NFC when you tap your phone to others and you need to manually enable the BT first, the BT should've automatically turned on by default. That's the point of NFC tap and send isn't it? To make file transfer easy and instant?

Hope Nokia will improve the NFC tap and send function on WP8, so it'll be just really tap and send to share file(s).

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried sending pictures from my 920 to three different SGS 3's until I realised that the Samedung transfers via WiFi direct and the 920 via Bluetooth.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I know the NFC works and you can send web pages between the devices (920 <-> s3) issues occur because its not the nfc which does the transfer of the file its the other tech(wifi direct/bt) wp wants to use BT droid wants to use wifi direct so it doesnt work
At least both manufacturer should let us know first, what kind of method is being used for NFC.
I wonder if the payment method using NFC, is it using Wifi Direct or Bluetooth. Or perhaps, the counter will ask. "How would like to pay your bill, Sir/Ma'am? By Bluetooth or Wifi Direct."

Haha yeah, i too found this quite silly. Few days ago i tried to send some pictures from my gf's 820 to my 920 via NFC, when i tap our phones, both of us was asked to enable our BT first in settings. Just WTF? What's the point having an NFC when you tap your phone to others and you need to manually enable the BT first, the BT should've automatically turned on by default. That's the point of NFC tap and send isn't it? To make file transfer easy and instant?

Hope Nokia will improve the NFC tap and send function on WP8, so it'll be just really tap and send to share file(s).

True, since the Lumia 920 is using Bluetooth for NFC, it should automatically enable the Bluetooth once we enable NFC.
In current method, it's not Tap+Send, but Tap+Tap+Tap+Tap+Send.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
At least both manufacturer should let us know first, what kind of method is being used for NFC.
I wonder if the payment method using NFC, is it using Wifi Direct or Bluetooth. Or perhaps, the counter will ask. "How would like to pay your bill, Sir/Ma'am? By Bluetooth or Wifi Direct."

True, since the Lumia 920 is using Bluetooth for NFC, it should automatically enable the Bluetooth once we enable NFC.
In current method, it's not Tap+Send, but Tap+Tap+Tap+Tap+Send.

You do realize NFC is only good at exchange a few short messages between devices (or rather a tag and a reader). That's all. It is not designed to transfer large files like pictures because of the lack of the bandwidth. If it takes all day to transfer one picture of yours purely through NFC, what will you say?

Windows Phone 8 support both Bluetooth and WiFi tor tap+send feature although the wifi part is not wi-fi direct (Android only feature) and requires two phones connected to the same wifi network. But wifi does work and transfers files much faster than Bluetooth.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To prevent attacks similar to those demonstrated MWR Labs, it is necessary that the resulting file is transmitted via NFC applications on the phone only after additional Confirmation user. Perhaps in the future of mobile phones manufacturers implement the option of the acknowledgment and will include it in your phone’s settings by default. The same option is required the user to clearly see the link received via NFC, and confirms traversed. In addition, experts recommend that users eScan NFC-devices to make payments only through trusted labels.

Yeap, I agree. Especially during the payment, at least it needs additional Confirmation from the user.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You do realize NFC is only good at exchange a few short messages between devices (or rather a tag and a reader). That's all. It is not designed to transfer large files like pictures because of the lack of the bandwidth. If it takes all day to transfer one picture of yours purely through NFC, what will you say?

Windows Phone 8 support both Bluetooth and WiFi tor tap+send feature although the wifi part is not wi-fi direct (Android only feature) and requires two phones connected to the same wifi network. But wifi does work and transfers files much faster than Bluetooth.

Well.. at first all I know NFC is for payment method and scanning tag. And then I saw Lumia 920 ads that emphasized on tap+send features. And guess what they did? They used it to send pictures. And I don't think it will take whole day to transfer one picture that is taken from your camera.

Let's say on average, the picture taken using the camera will have around 2.5 MB of size.
The supported NFC speeds, 424 kbit/s (theoretical), so in real life, let's say we take 1/3 of it, so = 141.33 kbit/s
Time taken = (2.5 MB*1024 kB*8 bits) / 141.33 kbit/s
= 144.9 seconds
= 2.4 minutes.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Well.. at first all I know NFC is for payment method and scanning tag. And then I saw Lumia 920 ads that emphasized on tap+send features. And guess what they did? They used it to send pictures. And I don't think it will take whole day to transfer one picture that is taken from your camera.

Let's say on average, the picture taken using the camera will have around 2.5 MB of size.
The supported NFC speeds, 424 kbit/s (theoretical), so in real life, let's say we take 1/3 of it, so = 141.33 kbit/s
Time taken = (2.5 MB*1024 kB*8 bits) / 141.33 kbit/s
= 144.9 seconds
= 2.4 minutes.
but thats 2.4minutes of having to touch your phones together,,, not brilliant,, starting the bt/wifi connection via nfc is much better IMO

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
NFC is a set of defined message types. So to send a large files, you will need to encode and embed the files into a message body. So, it does not come out as simple as you suggested. It's more like try to send a picture through SMS without using the MMS (and use cellular data) feature. Doable but not what anyone wanted and it is not standardized either.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
but thats 2.4minutes of having to touch your phones together,,, not brilliant,, starting the bt/wifi connection via nfc is much better IMO
Yes, not as brilliant as I saw in the ads. Hence, like I said in my first post, it's much more convenient using Bluetooth.

NFC is a set of defined message types. So to send a large files, you will need to encode and embed the files into a message body. So, it does not come out as simple as you suggested. It's more like try to send a picture through SMS without using the MMS (and use cellular data) feature. Doable but not what anyone wanted and it is not standardized either.
That's why I'm just trying to test the feature like in the 920 ads, where the process is just very simple. Tap and send the files in just a few moments. Although I haven't tested in on another Lumia 920. Might be as simple as in the ads.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
From reading this, I think you're missing the point. The files do transfer via Bluetooth, but use NFC to pair the phones to enable Bluetooth transfer. Take NFC out of the equation and you have to the pairing process manually, which is more time consuming even in the most convenient circumstances.

NFC tap, phones paired, transfer via Bluetooth

Vs.

Set phones to discover other devices by Bluetooth on both phones, wait for discovery, ask for the Bluetooth password for both phones, enter password, wait for connection, transfer via Bluetooth.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's why I'm just trying to test the feature like in the 920 ads, where the process is just very simple. Tap and send the files in just a few moments. Although I haven't tested in on another Lumia 920. Might be as simple as in the ads.

I did between an L920 and 8x and it works alas not as smooth as the commercial suggests. It takes quite a few seconds through BlueTooth. A little bit faster on WiFi. But definitely not as fast as you would thought. Try those Samsung GS3 commercials. Tap the phone to transfer a video while a taxi is driving away. That's pure fanctasy land.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
From reading this, I think you're missing the point. The files do transfer via Bluetooth, but use NFC to pair the phones to enable Bluetooth transfer. Take NFC out of the equation and you have to the pairing process manually, which is more time consuming even in the most convenient circumstances.

NFC tap, phones paired, transfer via Bluetooth

Vs.

Set phones to discover other devices by Bluetooth on both phones, wait for discovery, ask for the Bluetooth password for both phones, enter password, wait for connection, transfer via Bluetooth.

Yes, that's what I said in this thread's title. I didn't know at first that the file transfer is using Bluetooth. And by the way, when I transfer data using Bluetooth to SIII, I didn't need to enter password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3