Battery and location

chuey101

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question for those with bad battery performance. I've been tracking mine for several weeks now and the single biggest improvement I've gotten was from turning off location services. On my commute to work I spend an hour on a train. With location on I literally burned 15 to 20% in an hour. At work I work on the thirty first floor with not so great reception. Again I think this forces the GPS to work harder.

Switched off location and boom battery life has doubled. Was 10% per hour before based on battery sense app. Now averages 5%. Same commute I still was above 90% by the time I was in the office listening to a podcast the entire trip.

My theory is that all the various reports of this or that app draining battery were more the symptom than the cause. I think each app may have been checking location info differently for each person and thus causing diff rates of battery decline. So that's it. Interested to hear others thoughts. Btw I am pre portico using a dev build 920 on mobile in the NYC area.

Tldr, have you tried switching off location services to improve battery life?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3