Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    try turning off toggle and then rebooting. I believe i did that and it fixed. When if first did it, i changed from automatic to 3g, i would go back and see it would be on automatic again. I think i toggled the toggle thing off and then rebooted and then 3g stayed.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    try turning off toggle and then rebooting. I believe i did that and it fixed. When if first did it, i changed from automatic to 3g, i would go back and see it would be on automatic again. I think i toggled the toggle thing off and then rebooted and then 3g stayed.
    I did that, it stayed through several reboots in the diag menu but always showed 4g on the phone itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I did that, it stayed through several reboots in the diag menu but always showed 4g on the phone itself.

Toggle it back on perhaps?

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Toggle it back on perhaps?
    It's back on 4g in the settings and nothing changed.

I was sick over the weekend so after I charged my phone Friday night, I didn't charge it the entire weekend again including Monday (so a total of 3 days). I did maybe an hour worth of phone calls, maybe 3 hours of web browsing, no video games, and maybe one youtube video. I was on WiFi (Wireless N @ 5GHZ instead of 2.4GHZ), GPS is enabled, NFC is disabled, Bluetooth off, AT&T LTE constant 4 bars, Location on, Phone tracking on. Background tasks were: Chase Mobile, Gasbuddy, Metrotube, Weather, and Nokia Drive was BLOCKED.

Was @5% by the time I went to charge Monday night after ~60 hours.

On the other hand, I noticed my phone was a bit warm the next day after getting off the metro and saw it had drained 20% in 2 hours. Didn't see the GPS symbol on tho, did a quick restart, and was on my way with 40% at the end of the night.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Ok I think it's definitely a software issue. After messing around with the 3g/4g settings and getting everything back to normal (which included several reboots) I noticed it sat on the same percentage for 3 1/2 hours.

So I guess I will just get into a habit of restarting the phone daily.

Ok I think it's definitely a software issue. After messing around with the 3g/4g settings and getting everything back to normal (which included several reboots) I noticed it sat on the same percentage for 3 1/2 hours.

So I guess I will just get into a habit of restarting the phone daily.

It isn't about restarting so much as it is to do with radios. 4 days, I haven't restarted. Only made sure my phone isn't using data all the time. In 4 days ive only charged one time. Maybe will need a charge tonight.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    It isn't about restarting so much as it is to do with radios. 4 days, I haven't restarted. Only made sure my phone isn't using data all the time. In 4 days ive only charged one time. Maybe will need a charge tonight.
    I don't see how people can make it that long without charge. I have tried everything over last three months and the best I can do is 3-4%/hr, in standby. Do you even use your phone? I'm a casual user in a good LTE market and my phone is 50% by the time I get home in evening and would be dead by next morning. How? Are you on 3g or WiFi only? I can live with 3-4%/hr but I wouldn't complain if it was better.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I thought I had my problem solved by rebooting my phone but then today I have had my phone off the charger for 17 minutes and my phone has dropped from 100% down to 80% in those 17 minutes. I tried rebooting to kill any programs running but it's still draining that fast afterwards.

:-(

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I thought I had my problem solved by rebooting my phone but then today I have had my phone off the charger for 17 minutes and my phone has dropped from 100% down to 80% in those 17 minutes. I tried rebooting to kill any programs running but it's still draining that fast afterwards.

:-(

Well just a short time after posting this without doing anything my battery leveled out and I am only at 77% now.

Makes no sense.

Test this: leave your phone for 3 hours without touching it. And then check the % drain. If its more than 2% per hour then you've got something hurting your standby battery life.
    I'm so depressed about my battery life. Used to get some longer times with my iPhone.

Does whatsapp REALLY make a difference in battery life ? If so .. I'm deleting it..
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    I don't see how people can make it that long without charge. I have tried everything over last three months and the best I can do is 3-4%/hr, in standby. Do you even use your phone? I'm a casual user in a good LTE market and my phone is 50% by the time I get home in evening and would be dead by next morning. How? Are you on 3g or WiFi only? I can live with 3-4%/hr but I wouldn't complain if it was better.
    I keep all data connections off. So literally making it a dumb phone. Only sms and calls. I'm a heavy texter though. 150-170/day.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    I'm so depressed about my battery life. Used to get some longer times with my iPhone.

Does whatsapp REALLY make a difference in battery life ? If so .. I'm deleting it..
    Whatsapp
    Nokia Drive beta
    Skype beta
    Nokia Music

Makes a happy difference.

Global Posts
    1,913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    I don't know about whatsapp but we use GroupMe and it definitely has a major effect on the battery. Most Messaging apps do imo.

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I keep all data connections off. So literally making it a dumb phone. Only sms and calls. I'm a heavy texter though. 150-170/day.
    Ok. I see how you do it. LTE antenna is a huge drain. Quit bragging about your battery when your only using half your phone. Lol. It gives the rest of us a complex about our battery life.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    My battery is awesome...when I reboot it after I take it off the charge. I've tried draining it all the way down naturally and with the battery discharger app. Neither helped the cause. An easy bug to fix, since a reboot takes a minute, but still frustrating. Pre-reboot, 4% per hour on idle. After reboot, 1%.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My first couple of weeks was rough. First week or so i could not get more than 6-7 hours. I have Lumia 920 since Dec 13th, and last week my battery life is much better. Sometimes I can go two full days without a charge, all with using Whatsapp and Viber frequently, 25-30 regular text messages a day, 30 min of talk time, location on, brightness on medium, int explorer 1 hour, and WP central and store usage few times a day. I really cannot complain now, but it took some time to get to this point.
    Today I had an interesting case with battery life. Battery was at 47% then I turned the phone off and immediately on and it dropped to 35%. I kept using it and it went down to 16%. I turned it off again for a couple of hours and when I turned back on percentage was at 28%. Anyone had a similar case?

I noticed that the network settings have a BIG impact on battery drainage. leaving it off the charger usually drains about 6-7% in 9 hours without usage and a mediocre connection. With a poor connection this rocketed to to about 18% overnight (say 9 nine hours).

When playing music, wifi on, and good network connection, the battery doesn't drain that much about 2 % in an hour. Streaming music will drain a bit more about 6-10%

Certain chatting apps drain hugely i noticed that whatsapp will drain about 30% in an hour. using whatsapp and ebuddy simultaneously will use about 47%!!!

Dialling back the connection speed to max 2G, no whatsapp, several hours of screen time, wifi turned on, will give me around 26 hours.

Performance stretches a lot further if i turn on battery.

I use a battery monitoring app and have noticed an upward trend at times, though not as dramatic as that. The portico update is supposed to fix a number of battery calibration issues, so i guess your example explains why that is necessary ;)

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdurance#WP View Post
    Test this: leave your phone for 3 hours without touching it. And then check the % drain. If its more than 2% per hour then you've got something hurting your standby battery life.
    Read the entire thread to answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Ok. I see how you do it. LTE antenna is a huge drain. Quit bragging about your battery when your only using half your phone. Lol. It gives the rest of us a complex about our battery life.
    Ha! Point of that post was a follow on to:
    My carrier has rubbish coverage even when it says it is UK's largest network and covers 99% area. The drain we all have been talking about is not only due to background tasks but every 30 mins when phone wakes up, depending on where you are, your network coverage, you consume battery. Some apps just do this all the time - whatsapp.

By using it as dumb phone, at least i know its not the OS or battery. Its ****ty developers and my carrier masts.

conanheath likes this.

I charge mine during the night and then use it for 2 days (7am to around midnight the day after so around 41 hours), usually around 20-40% left by then depending on how much I used it and for what. If I am just in standby I can usually get it to use around 1% per hour (sometimes less depending on my signal strength). I got LTE turned on at all times and never use wifi.
    Last edited by Davidkoh; 01-18-2013 at 07:11 AM.

I've been experiencing similar problems with my phone running out of juice by 6pm however last night I ran my L920 down until it said goodbye and switched off. I then waited 1 minute and switched it back on, it tried to boot up and failed so I tried again this time it came on and stayed on for further hour of full use. the funny thing is that when I looked at the battery indicator it said 0% but under time since last charge it said 134 days and 17 hours!!! Today I have much better battery results and now after approx 5 hours of normal usage (email set to 'as items arrive' on 3 accounts, location on etc.) I have only dropped to 84% so am hopeful that I will get similar results to my Titan which would go about 16-18 hours without charge. It hasn't been heating up this morning either. Hope it helps

i had charged my lumia overnight for about 10 hours. i took it off the charger at 1:30 pm. By 9:00, charge was down to 10%.
    I had been surfing the net, downloading apps for quite a long time. Played games for about 1 hour, music for like 10 minutes, whatsapp for about an hour. 3g or wifi was on throughout the period. Basically I had been using the phone pretty much for the 7 hours, but mainly browsing and stuff. Is this charge drop normal? Looks pretty bad to me.
    I had tried draining and recharging it overnight 3 times now. Don't see much of a difference.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast