What is considered normal battery life?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I keep all data connections off. So literally making it a dumb phone. Only sms and calls. I'm a heavy texter though. 150-170/day.

Ok. I see how you do it. LTE antenna is a huge drain. Quit bragging about your battery when your only using half your phone. Lol. It gives the rest of us a complex about our battery life.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
My battery is awesome...when I reboot it after I take it off the charge. I've tried draining it all the way down naturally and with the battery discharger app. Neither helped the cause. An easy bug to fix, since a reboot takes a minute, but still frustrating. Pre-reboot, 4% per hour on idle. After reboot, 1%.

Ozi1950

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My first couple of weeks was rough. First week or so i could not get more than 6-7 hours. I have Lumia 920 since Dec 13th, and last week my battery life is much better. Sometimes I can go two full days without a charge, all with using Whatsapp and Viber frequently, 25-30 regular text messages a day, 30 min of talk time, location on, brightness on medium, int explorer 1 hour, and WP central and store usage few times a day. I really cannot complain now, but it took some time to get to this point.
Today I had an interesting case with battery life. Battery was at 47% then I turned the phone off and immediately on and it dropped to 35%. I kept using it and it went down to 16%. I turned it off again for a couple of hours and when I turned back on percentage was at 28%. Anyone had a similar case?

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the network settings have a BIG impact on battery drainage. leaving it off the charger usually drains about 6-7% in 9 hours without usage and a mediocre connection. With a poor connection this rocketed to to about 18% overnight (say 9 nine hours).

When playing music, wifi on, and good network connection, the battery doesn't drain that much about 2 % in an hour. Streaming music will drain a bit more about 6-10%

Certain chatting apps drain hugely i noticed that whatsapp will drain about 30% in an hour. using whatsapp and ebuddy simultaneously will use about 47%!!!

Dialling back the connection speed to max 2G, no whatsapp, several hours of screen time, wifi turned on, will give me around 26 hours.

Performance stretches a lot further if i turn on battery.

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I use a battery monitoring app and have noticed an upward trend at times, though not as dramatic as that. The portico update is supposed to fix a number of battery calibration issues, so i guess your example explains why that is necessary ;)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I see how you do it. LTE antenna is a huge drain. Quit bragging about your battery when your only using half your phone. Lol. It gives the rest of us a complex about our battery life.

Ha! Point of that post was a follow on to:
My carrier has rubbish coverage even when it says it is UK's largest network and covers 99% area. The drain we all have been talking about is not only due to background tasks but every 30 mins when phone wakes up, depending on where you are, your network coverage, you consume battery. Some apps just do this all the time - whatsapp.

By using it as dumb phone, at least i know its not the OS or battery. Its ****ty developers and my carrier masts.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I charge mine during the night and then use it for 2 days (7am to around midnight the day after so around 41 hours), usually around 20-40% left by then depending on how much I used it and for what. If I am just in standby I can usually get it to use around 1% per hour (sometimes less depending on my signal strength). I got LTE turned on at all times and never use wifi.

Last edited:

noelwilliams

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing similar problems with my phone running out of juice by 6pm however last night I ran my L920 down until it said goodbye and switched off. I then waited 1 minute and switched it back on, it tried to boot up and failed so I tried again this time it came on and stayed on for further hour of full use. the funny thing is that when I looked at the battery indicator it said 0% but under time since last charge it said 134 days and 17 hours!!! Today I have much better battery results and now after approx 5 hours of normal usage (email set to 'as items arrive' on 3 accounts, location on etc.) I have only dropped to 84% so am hopeful that I will get similar results to my Titan which would go about 16-18 hours without charge. It hasn't been heating up this morning either. Hope it helps

Nimal Kunnath

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
i had charged my lumia overnight for about 10 hours. i took it off the charger at 1:30 pm. By 9:00, charge was down to 10%.
I had been surfing the net, downloading apps for quite a long time. Played games for about 1 hour, music for like 10 minutes, whatsapp for about an hour. 3g or wifi was on throughout the period. Basically I had been using the phone pretty much for the 7 hours, but mainly browsing and stuff. Is this charge drop normal? Looks pretty bad to me.
I had tried draining and recharging it overnight 3 times now. Don't see much of a difference.

faded03cobra

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
My first 920 I barely got 1 day and it shut off at least 3 times a week. Exchanged for a new one and it has been perfect........no random reboots and I typically get 2 days on a single charge.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine during the night and then use it for 2 days (7am to around midnight the day after so around 41 hours), usually around 20-40% left by then depending on how much I used it and for what. If I am just in standby I can usually get it to use around 1% per hour (sometimes less depending on my signal strength). I got LTE turned on at all times and never use wifi.

You ppeople that get a day or more must hardly use your phone for much of anything. Do you even pick it up and do more than turn the screen on once and a while?

These batteries suck if you actually USE your phone

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You ppeople that get a day or more must hardly use your phone for much of anything. Do you even pick it up and do more than turn the screen on once and a while?

I agree, the screen eats through the battery, I can get like 4 hours of continuous use browsing the internet

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of any data on what the estimated time we should be getting on the phone if it is just left with the screen on constantly? Would be interesting.

I know I am getting horrid battery life because when I have time to use my phone I use it, its hard to put down :)

Which makes it hard for me to gauge if my battery life is actually bad or not because I'm using my phone way more than I usually would.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

In the past 40 hours I've been listening/streaming music a few hours, 1-2 hours of phone calls, about 50-60 text messages. Got my email set to push so I received and sent a few emails, checked Facebook a bit and downloaded a few apps from the store that I tested out (1-2 games in that mix and played around with ProShot a bit). Also did some banking on my banking app. All in all I used it moderately at the least, what I am doing though is playing it smart and not installing bugged apps like WhatsApp and so on. When not using the phone I been turning it on to check something quickly every 10-15 min so it's never really been completely idle for hours except when I was sleeping.

Last edited:

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know if using wireless n 5 ghz uses more power than the n 2.4ghz antenna?

My router can do both.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, there is no way you get 40 hrs out of a charge. Maybe if you are 3g only or wifi only. Does the phone say LTE or 4G? There is a difference. Also, If you are not on LTE or turn your data off, your numbers are irrelevant. Nobody, well almost nobody, buys a smart phone and goes around with the data off. If your data is off or you are in 3g only area, of course you are going to have better battery life. I could probably turn all of my antennas off and use the phone for a paper weight and not get 40+ hours, but then what is the point. If you are 3g only or wifi only you need to specify. It is not possible to get these hrs in a LTE market using your phone fully. It just isn't possible. if it is, I got another bunk 920. I get 3-4% in true LTE standby and I have done everything.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, there is no way you get 40 hrs out of a charge. Maybe if you are 3g only or wifi only. Does the phone say LTE or 4G? There is a difference. Also, If you are not on LTE or turn your data off, your numbers are irrelevant. Nobody, well almost nobody, buys a smart phone and goes around with the data off. If your data is off or you are in 3g only area, of course you are going to have better battery life. I could probably turn all of my antennas off and use the phone for a paper weight and not get 40+ hours, but then what is the point. If you are 3g only or wifi only you need to specify. It is not possible to get these hrs in a LTE market using your phone fully. It just isn't possible. if it is, I got another bunk 920. I get 3-4% in true LTE standby and I have done everything.

Its LTE, and I dont use wifi, only LTE and never turn data off. Its all down to to the apps for me. If I use that bugged WhatsApp app I get shorter battery life with hot phone. As long as I use the working apps I get good battery life.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
i had charged my lumia overnight for about 10 hours. i took it off the charger at 1:30 pm. By 9:00, charge was down to 10%.
I had been surfing the net, downloading apps for quite a long time. Played games for about 1 hour, music for like 10 minutes, whatsapp for about an hour. 3g or wifi was on throughout the period. Basically I had been using the phone pretty much for the 7 hours, but mainly browsing and stuff. Is this charge drop normal? Looks pretty bad to me.
I had tried draining and recharging it overnight 3 times now. Don't see much of a difference.

That is pretty much heavy usage and your screen on time is nearly 4-5 hours. That for any smart phone of this size, is more than good for a 3G connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb