Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
Like Tree3Likes
  1. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have seen a lot of battery life issue complaints and have been monitoring my battery. But nobody really posting what is normal, I am noticing I am using on average 5% an hour. Which is ok and lasts me the day but still seems a bit high to me.

    What is considered normal?

    I have pretty much everything off (bt, tap/share, etc). I have 4 apps allowed to run in the background (Fox News, Wpcentral, Battery Sense, Weather Flow with location off only a preset location).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I have seen a lot of battery life issue complaints and have been monitoring my battery. But nobody really posting what is normal, I am noticing I am using on average 5% an hour. Which is ok and lasts me the day but still seems a bit high to me.

    What is considered normal?

    I have pretty much everything off (bt, tap/share, etc). I have 4 apps allowed to run in the background (Fox News, Wpcentral, Battery Sense, Weather Flow with location off only a preset location).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Well, that may be as easy as answering what is a normal family! :)

    The best answer, it depends. There is a non-numerical definition that many people accept: "it lasts me to the end of the day"
    I would think that is the closest thing to 'normal'

    It still depends, because, well, it depends what you're doing with the phone. How many background tasks, what is on and active, how long are your calls, how much browsing, streaming, playing video games, how intensive are the programs, how well is the code written for these individual programs, can you go 10 seconds without touching your beautiful phone, etc
  3. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #3  
    My 5% an hour is not touching my phone except to check the time and maybe a quick check of an app. So probably 5 minutes of actual usage per hour on the high side.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  4. stressds's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    My 5% an hour is not touching my phone except to check the time and maybe a quick check of an app. So probably 5 minutes of actual usage per hour on the high side.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I would consider that on the slightly high side for basically having the phone on idle. However, if for 5 minutes you are on Whatsapp, or Baconit, or playing a game, or heck even WPCentral, then 5% is pretty good

    Such is Life With Lumia...
  5. krystea's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #5  
    After unplugging from an overnight charge, I'll go about my day, go to sleep, and wake up with sixty-something percent battery left. Sometimes more.
    Sometimes it'll be ready to give up around 11p. Sometimes earlier.

    Really, it depends on what you're doing on your phone that day. However, when comparing it to previous smartphones I've owned, even some basic phones, it takes a lot more to drain it.
    Krys Morgenweck
    Writer - Windows Phone Central
    Email - k.morgenweck@live.com
    Twitter - @krystea

    "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"
  6. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #6  
    If your phone is draining 5% an hour with no use, that is not good. Your description of how little of your usage is very vague so I would suspect 5% an hour is ok for your use. if it last you the whole day without issue, you should be fine.

    I easily get a whole days worth of usage, but i check my phone a lot throughout the day, mostly checking people hub, weaver, and wpcentral. Then at lunch usually about an hour of surfing on IE/Weaver, Hub, wpcentral, others. I should be at 20-30% by 11pm off the charger at 8am. Throw in about 50-100 text at times and a few minutes of phone calls, i dont do many phone calls though.

    I have 3 apps running - battery, weather, locksider. two push emails and one email every 30 minutes.

    Again, i get the battery lasting all day with 20-30% easily with use. If i didnt use at all and let my phone sit, my battery will drain 0% - 2%. I've left my phone off the charger overnight once for about 6-7 hours and woke up with 98%.

    The phone shouldn't drain much on idle, when you start using it, it will start draining quite a bit.
  7. S Rodrigo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #7  
    Remove nokia music, reset your phone (hold down power and volume down), then see what your % loss is through the day. I went from about 5% loss an hour to around 2%. Your experience might differ, but before removing nokia music I could not make it overnight without a charge.
  8. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by S Rodrigo View Post
    Remove nokia music, reset your phone (hold down power and volume down), then see what your % loss is through the day. I went from about 5% loss an hour to around 2%. Your experience might differ, but before removing nokia music I could not make it overnight without a charge.
    Already did that.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  9. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    If your phone is draining 5% an hour with no use, that is not good. Your description of how little of your usage is very vague so I would suspect 5% an hour is ok for your use. if it last you the whole day without issue, you should be fine.

    I easily get a whole days worth of usage, but i check my phone a lot throughout the day, mostly checking people hub, weaver, and wpcentral. Then at lunch usually about an hour of surfing on IE/Weaver, Hub, wpcentral, others. I should be at 20-30% by 11pm off the charger at 8am. Throw in about 50-100 text at times and a few minutes of phone calls, i dont do many phone calls though.

    I have 3 apps running - battery, weather, locksider. two push emails and one email every 30 minutes.

    Again, i get the battery lasting all day with 20-30% easily with use. If i didnt use at all and let my phone sit, my battery will drain 0% - 2%. I've left my phone off the charger overnight once for about 6-7 hours and woke up with 98%.

    The phone shouldn't drain much on idle, when you start using it, it will start draining quite a bit.
    I have one email set for hourly. No texting, maybe 5 minutes of phone calls a day. Like I said I check my phone maybe hourly for 5 minutes of usage on average. No games during that time, no surfing. Just check wpcentral app and read a story or two then turn it off. That's 5% per hour. Even if I don't do anything with it It's 5%. If I play a game or something it jumps to 30% to 40% an hour.

    On day 1 after I first got the phone I took it off the charger at 10am it shut itself off at 3pm. Did a hard reset and the Next day was much better. But it seems to have plateaued at the 5% average now.

    I did the soft reset and did a hard reset on day 2.

    Also I noticed that just before I get up in the morning my phone drains about 8%. The phone is never 100% in the morning. I can check it around 6am and it's 100% but by the time I get up at 10am to noon its down to 92%.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  10. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #10  
    on a Sunday, with 2 email sync every 30 and 1 pushed, wifi auto sniff on, background with whatsapp, im+, skype, weather channel and battery monitor. Nokia music installed but not turn on. LTE off. Some 15 min browsing. tap share off, normal sensitivity, auto brightness. It last from Saturday late night till Monday noon since last full charged.

    I guess you are on the high side.
  11. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I have one email set for hourly. No texting, maybe 5 minutes of phone calls a day. Like I said I check my phone maybe hourly for 5 minutes of usage on average. No games during that time, no surfing. Just check wpcentral app and read a story or two then turn it off. That's 5% per hour. Even if I don't do anything with it It's 5%. If I play a game or something it jumps to 30% to 40% an hour.

    On day 1 after I first got the phone I took it off the charger at 10am it shut itself off at 3pm. Did a hard reset and the Next day was much better. But it seems to have plateaued at the 5% average now.

    I did the soft reset and did a hard reset on day 2.

    Also I noticed that just before I get up in the morning my phone drains about 8%. The phone is never 100% in the morning. I can check it around 6am and it's 100% but by the time I get up at 10am to noon its down to 92%.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Charge your phone 100% before you go to bed. Take it off and let it sit off charger while you sleep. All things being equal, when you wake up after 6 or 7 hours, i would say it should still be no less than 97%.

    My settings i have BT off, nfc off. I do have nokia music installed but i dont use it, i have skype as well. I would do that and see if there is a drain, but my phone will probably still be 100% if i leave it over night.

    Now this is my fourth phone as well, two of my phones i had were defective and would drain 20% overnight. While draining 5% is not bad overnight without use, it could be just an app you have installed.

    In general, this phoen drains quite a bit when using it, but should be very minimal drain while not using it.
    Nimal Kunnath likes this.
  12. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Charge your phone 100% before you go to bed. Take it off and let it sit off charger while you sleep. All things being equal, when you wake up after 6 or 7 hours, i would say it should still be no less than 97%.

    My settings i have BT off, nfc off. I do have nokia music installed but i dont use it, i have skype as well. I would do that and see if there is a drain, but my phone will probably still be 100% if i leave it over night.

    Now this is my fourth phone as well, two of my phones i had were defective and would drain 20% overnight. While draining 5% is not bad overnight without use, it could be just an app you have installed.

    In general, this phoen drains quite a bit when using it, but should be very minimal drain while not using it.
    Will try that tonight. I am sure it will be dead by the morning.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  13. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    Will try that tonight. I am sure it will be dead by the morning.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    if it is at least know need an exchange
  14. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #14  
    Took it off the charger at midnight. Will update in the morning.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  15. TK2011's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #15  
    You might want to reboot before doing a proper test. Once in a while phone gets into a state where it drains more battery than usual. Just rebooting fixes it.

    One poster above wrote you should get more than 97% after 6-7 hours of standby. I don't think it's necessarily true for everyone. There are many factors to battery life.
  16. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK2011 View Post
    You might want to reboot before doing a proper test. Once in a while phone gets into a state where it drains more battery than usual. Just rebooting fixes it.

    One poster above wrote you should get more than 97% after 6-7 hours of standby. I don't think it's necessarily true for everyone. There are many factors to battery life.
    I said that but also threw in the " all things being equal".

    Still the phone should still have a high percentage bases on the settings he listed.
  17. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #17  
    This morning at 10 am (10 hours of standby) it was at 70%. So I lost 3% an hour.

    Tonight I will reboot the phone and do the test again.

    I should also mention that my old Samsung Focus which Is basically setup the same has been off the charger for 2 days now and I played Star Wars Cantina for an hour yesterday on it and is only at 62%.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  18. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #18  
    It's mindboggling to me that we can't even answer this question properly because there's no API in Windows Phone to report screen-on time.
    Alex Kj likes this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    It's mindboggling to me that we can't even answer this question properly because there's no API in Windows Phone to report screen-on time.
    Has this been already suggested on Uservoice?
  20. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    This morning at 10 am (10 hours of standby) it was at 70%. So I lost 3% an hour.

    Tonight I will reboot the phone and do the test again.

    I should also mention that my old Samsung Focus which Is basically setup the same has been off the charger for 2 days now and I played Star Wars Cantina for an hour yesterday on it and is only at 62%.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    If your phone was left untouched through the 10 hours and is at 70% your battery is not good or you have too much things running on your phone. Based on your previous post, i dont see that is the case. I would check your email/account settings if it is stuck "syncing". I would put your phoen on idle, wait a few minutes and turn it on and see what your signal sign says, does it show low bars and then increases or is it consistently the same everytime you put on idle and turn back on.

    I had a phone that had an issue with reception while on idle, everytimei turn on the phone from idle, my reception would show no signal or no bars then gradually increase. I would check my email/account settings and there would be errors, after 20-30 seconds everything would sync up again. I eventually exchanged the phone.

    So if your signal bar is the same everytime you turn on the phone from idle, it could just be a bad battery or app running constantly.
  21. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    If your phone was left untouched through the 10 hours and is at 70% your battery is not good or you have too much things running on your phone. Based on your previous post, i dont see that is the case. I would check your email/account settings if it is stuck "syncing". I would put your phoen on idle, wait a few minutes and turn it on and see what your signal sign says, does it show low bars and then increases or is it consistently the same everytime you put on idle and turn back on.

    I had a phone that had an issue with reception while on idle, everytimei turn on the phone from idle, my reception would show no signal or no bars then gradually increase. I would check my email/account settings and there would be errors, after 20-30 seconds everything would sync up again. I eventually exchanged the phone.

    So if your signal bar is the same everytime you turn on the phone from idle, it could just be a bad battery or app running constantly.
    I have terrible reception at my house. Every time I turn it on it says 1 bar 4g. We never have had good reception here even at 3g which is 2-3 bars.

    But i don't have email sync issues.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  22. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    #22  
    I wonder if your phone is flip flopping on networks trying to get better signal. Have you tried going straight 3g? so 3g runs constantly instaed of trying to go LTE? Not saying you should have to do this, but you should try to determine the issue.

    I would try that, on the phone that i had issues with signal on idle, i put the phone on 3g only and it improved my battery life. People might say "of course 3g uses less than LTE", but the issue was when the phone was on idle unused.

    I would do that for a couple days, if your battery drains still, then you got a bad battery. If your battery performance improves significantly, it could be the signal the phone is trying to obtain. Then you have to determine if the issue is your location or the issue is the phone being defective where it cant get a reception.

    On my defective phone, I knew my location had great LTE and 3g coverage so there was no way its my location, it definitely was my phone that sucked.
  23. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,256 Posts
    #23  
    The deal is that WP8 has some issues... I have graphed that my phone can use < 1% battery overnight, with email checking on 6 accounts in real time.

    However, when you start to use the phone you get random battery drain. (And I mean excluding Skype, WhatsApp, Drive that we know leak battery)

    There doesn't appear to be logic behind what the phones do. I know it's not hardware because my phone can use no power, so it must be an OS issue in that some apps are being permitted to run in the background, or the OS runs some tasks that are left running etc.

    I am hoping the next OS update fixes this.
  24. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    I wonder if your phone is flip flopping on networks trying to get better signal. Have you tried going straight 3g? so 3g runs constantly instaed of trying to go LTE? Not saying you should have to do this, but you should try to determine the issue.

    I would try that, on the phone that i had issues with signal on idle, i put the phone on 3g only and it improved my battery life. People might say "of course 3g uses less than LTE", but the issue was when the phone was on idle unused.

    I would do that for a couple days, if your battery drains still, then you got a bad battery. If your battery performance improves significantly, it could be the signal the phone is trying to obtain. Then you have to determine if the issue is your location or the issue is the phone being defective where it cant get a reception.

    On my defective phone, I knew my location had great LTE and 3g coverage so there was no way its my location, it definitely was my phone that sucked.
    I have thought about that being the issue after reading about that in some other threads. However ATT has this locked down. So in my opinion its not something I should have to mess with. It's a fault of the carrier so I would rather just replace it half a dozen times since att wants to be stupid about it.

    I may try it but don't think I should have to.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  25. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
       #25  
    I tried this on my phone. It saves and in the settings it says 3g however when I am on the phone itself it still only shows one bar and 4g like it's not saved. I tried rebooting it several times and every time it is saved and says 3g in the diag menu but when I pull down the info from the top it says 4g

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's YOUR average battery life?
    By cruzr96 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
  3. How is your surface battery life?
    By ken800 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  4. Is this battery life normal?
    By kclub in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 02:54 AM
  5. My decision is based on battery life...
    By WizeGuyDezignz in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions