New Nokia Lumia 920 User

Blown5L

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, new member here. I recently picked up a Black Nokia Lumia 920 after being recommended it by a good friend of mine. I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've got a couple issues I'm hoping you guys could help me with and possibly clarify, or know if there is a fix for it in the near future:

I LOVE the interface, the whole tile system etc... but there are some HUGE drawbacks that nearly completely ruin this Phone for me.

*Why is there no option to separate SIM Card Contacts from Hotmail/Facebook Contacts in my Contact list? Seriously DUMB move - Hotmail Contacts are bunched in with my regular SIM contacts that I copied over. I've had my hotmail account for about 12 years or so, so I have about 3000 pointless contacts from my old teenage MSN years. A complete pain in the ass when I'm browsing my SIM contacts. There's no way to remove them aside from individually removing them one at a time. Yeah right.
*No drop down menu for Notifications and settings - I know iOS and Android are doing this, but it's a great feature. I'd love to be able to put my phone on silent, or turn Bluetooth and Wireless on or off within seconds, not having to go through myriad of menus.
*Nokia Drive is HORRIBLE, seriously really bad Navigation compared with the Galaxy's navigation.
*Why are most Apps on the phone non-functional until you download them? Why are the icons even there? Who releases a phone without the ability to read .pdf or use navigation straight from the box?
*Why am I not able to download an mp3 I attached to my email from my computer so I could listen to it at work? Could do it on the Android.
*No BitTorrent program? No "downloads" folder or a means to download anything.
*Purchased an album online to listen to at work, can't even download the mp3's from the link.
*YouTube videos work occasionally, but usually I get an error message saying my device can't play them.
*No Flash playing capabilities? Went to check out a friends band's Myspace page to have a listen, couldn't do that.
*The Bing search engine (the magnifying glass) is completely hopeless. Returns no where near the amount of helpful search results as Google.
*The Facebook app is incredibly useless.
*No separate volume control for Media playback and Ringtone.

I really want to like this phone. I love the interface and the way it looks, the feel of the phone and it looks great. Seems like it has potential. But straight from the box it is way too basic and missing so many simple features that other manufacturers are including. It had so many reviews praising it, but what for? I'm finding it hard to find much that is actually does a good job of rather than things it just doesn't do.

Is there any updates available or upcoming that can rectify some of these issues that you guys know of? I really want to like it, because as far as build quality, smoothness of interface and also the look of the interface , I really love it, but it HAS to be able to tick some other boxes for me.

I hope you guys have some good news and maybe I've somehow not figured out some features. Thanks guys!

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, new member here. I recently picked up a Black Nokia Lumia 920 after being recommended it by a good friend of mine. I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've got a couple issues I'm hoping you guys could help me with and possibly clarify, or know if there is a fix for it in the near future:

I LOVE the interface, the whole tile system etc... but there are some HUGE drawbacks that nearly completely ruin this Phone for me.

*Why is there no option to separate SIM Card Contacts from Hotmail/Facebook Contacts in my Contact list? Seriously DUMB move - Hotmail Contacts are bunched in with my regular SIM contacts that I copied over. I've had my hotmail account for about 12 years or so, so I have about 3000 pointless contacts from my old teenage MSN years. A complete pain in the ass when I'm browsing my SIM contacts. There's no way to remove them aside from individually removing them one at a time. Yeah right.

Try filtering them? in your people list hit the charm bar(at bottom then settings -> filter)

*Nokia Drive is HORRIBLE, seriously really bad Navigation compared with the Galaxy's navigation.
Never had an issue only used it about 3 times though always worked great,

*Why am I not able to download an mp3 I attached to my email from my computer so I could listen to it at work? Could do it on the Android.
WP has a much bigger walled garden approach, apps cant access file stores of other apps, e.g email cant put files in music, there are a few apis developers can use e.g to get access to camera roll,

*No BitTorrent program? No "downloads" folder or a means to download anything.
Same as above if you downloaded anything in a bittorrent client on WP the file would be stuck in the clients download box and not accessable from anywhere.

*Purchased an album online to listen to at work, can't even download the mp3's from the link.
same as above really, could use xbox music but I guess your already using a service you like

*YouTube videos work occasionally, but usually I get an error message saying my device can't play them.
certain ones or just randomly then work again?

*No Flash playing capabilities? Went to check out a friends band's Myspace page to have a listen, couldn't do that.
Flash wont come , adobe are desupporting android also as far as I know, hopefully the world will move to html5, bummer but I dont really miss it
*The Bing search engine (the magnifying glass) is completely hopeless. Returns no where near the amount of helpful search results as Google.
agreed, I use it to find the answer to things but for information its much faster to just type into IE as you can change the default search to google
*The Facebook app is incredibly useless.

*No separate volume control for Media playback and Ringtone.
Annoys alot of people hoepfully will be changed in an update but its always worked this way.
Answered/commented on a few points you raised, maybe it will help you understand why things happen in certain ways on WP coming from android its a very different experience as if you dont like it on android there is a big chance you can change it but on WP less of that chance your kinda stuck with what you get in terms of alot of the OS which for me is great as I like 99% of it.

Blown5L

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply dude! Is there any hint at all or any insider info that maybe downloads will be possible down the track, hopefully in the not too distant future? I have a lot of idle time at work and basically use my phone as a computer (well the android one anyway), so this phone is a definite let down, but hopefully they can rectify most issues sometime soon?

Also about the Hotmail contacts issue - If i filter out the hotmail contacts, none of my sim contacts appear. It's almost as if they are all bunched to the one hotmail account when I set up the phone. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3