no service issue?

mrf430

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue with their Lumia 920: -- without warning and without (to my knowledge) doing anything, the Lumia 920 just switches to "No Service - Emergency Calls Only". This happens daily, multiple times even! The service bars do come back after a minute or as much as 5 minutes later. While the phone is in its "No service ..." mode, no calls or messages get through.

Ive checked the sim car/tray and its all fine and seated properly. I cant figure
this one out! :straight:

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
it could be your operator problem.. i'm on EE (Orange) UK and in my area, they have had reception problems. I called into customer service and they told me some tower near my area was down and fixed it in about a week.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't sound like a service issue. If it was service issue, you would get the airplane symbol. Like when your phone boots up. Or, you would just have no service. if it says emergency calls only, your phone is not seeing sim card or your service is being cut off, like when you don't pay the bill. It sounds more like a sim issue. Sim card issue or service disconnect will still allow emergency calls because that is required by law. I had an iPhone that wasn't built properly and sim did not stay connected all the time. It would do the same thing. Put a couple of pieces of tape on sim card on the opposite side of contact points. If you have a pin that is loosing contact with the sim this may push card over to make proper connection. It worked on my iPhone until I could exchange it. And then it could be any one of a dozen other problems.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 800 will show no service emergency calls only when coverage is patchy. Makes no sense as either you can connect to the network or you can't however this seems to be the default message on the dialer tile when the phone loses network connection for short period.

scumbagculloch

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
lumia 920 on EE and I get it a lot. "cant send" constantly on messaging. got a sim swap and a replacement handset. still happens. no answers sorry but your not alone

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
seems like EE UK is being plagued with lots of problems with cell reception, called into their customer support and was told that network is undergoing upgrading works. Besides that, they told me many people were having problems with phones when roaming between T-Mobile UK and Orange UK cell towers, resulting in no signal issue on phones. Hmmmm, that's just bad service

mattjgilbert

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the same problem. It started happening right after a phone upgrade (portico I'm assuming). The phone constantly switches between G, 3G, 3G+ and H even in the same area and then will lose all connectivity resulting in "No service". Sometime it will reconnect, other times I need to bounce it using Flight mode on/off.

I'm trying the possible workaround of pinning the max data connection to 3G. I don't have a 4G contract anyway and so far (fingers crossed) it looks stable.

(I'm on Orange/EE)

NIGNUG

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I also get this issue with a new Lumia 920 from Orange via EE..

I tried 3G only and this seemed to work but it doesnt fix it.. just reduces occurence.

I suspect its a network+Software problem as so many have similar and so many have different fixes.

Its annoying as I love the phone and really want to keep it but I cant rely on the phone when I sit under a mast at work and cant get a flaming SMS saying my wife is there to pick me up.

Orange are sending a new SIM out as I did have "SIMCARD ERROR" at the start but then it went away again.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not just you guys on EE... I'm on AT&T in the US and have noticed it a lot after the Portico update in December.

LTE reception has gotten weaker and is constantly switching back and forth from LTE to 3G. A couple of times I got the "No Service" issue and the last time it happened it took a few minutes. It doesn't happen enough to warrant an exchange but it is annoying nonetheless. I think Nokia definitely needs to update the radio firmware on these devices.

NIGNUG

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,

Its tricky as I dont want to take the risk of it ever getting fixed. We are almost in March and folk have had this since December!

It's not just you guys on EE... I'm on AT&T in the US and have noticed it a lot after the Portico update in December.

LTE reception has gotten weaker and is constantly switching back and forth from LTE to 3G. A couple of times I got the "No Service" issue and the last time it happened it took a few minutes. It doesn't happen enough to warrant an exchange but it is annoying nonetheless. I think Nokia definitely needs to update the radio firmware on these devices.

awpusr13

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. This is not a simcard issue as others say. Maybe some have corrupt sim cards. But my issue is that in some locations i've zero signal and no service. Whereas my gf's iphone and other people i've seen in the same exact location has 3-4 bars. I even switched my sim card with them and it's fine. I called nokia initially and they were doing their normal dump things like resetting the phone and removing and putting the sim card back in (which I know isn't going to work). This is really a sad thing. They didn't do enough quality testing on this phone. Just rushed the whole process to get it out there I guess to be in front of the competition. Now they suffer. I literally feel like I want to throw it down the golden gate bridge, if I didn't overpay $800 USD in singapore to get this unlocked phone! The phone is fast and good, but have so many glitches. I even had the built in hardware gps go off on my several times while navigating! This is annoying if you don't have coverage , esp. when nokia claims their navigation is offline.

mrf430

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
ATT replaced my phone for me and everything was working without any issues!!!! UNTIL TODAY'S UPDATE! Now its happening at a higher rate than it did before..

...awesome.... :/

petesoul

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I'm on Telenor contract in Sweden.
My first Lumia 920 didn't charge the battery so it was replaced with this Lumia 920, and it's been like this since I got it last year. So now I have to check the phone every five minutes to be sure I don't miss any calls. Incredible frustrating that I have to switch to flight mode and back ten times a day. If they can't fix it with the next update, I'm afraid I have to return it and get a phone from another manufacture.

And, during the last week, it has started to restart itself once a day...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb