Cheapest place to buy UK network unlocked 920?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm after a 920, but all the places I'm seeing selling unlocked 920s are over ?500 (which is more than what I paid for my HTC TITAN!) but I am wanting to get it. Has anyone found any cheaper places that are selling the phone for about ?450? I need it to be new so I can insure it with ProtectYourBubble. As per their main exclusions page.

ProtectYourBubble said:
All items you insure must have been bought as new from a UK VAT registered company, such as a high street store, or official online retailer. If you?ve had a warranty replacement in the past from your manufacturer, check that it is a ?new? replacement and not a refurbished one.

If I wait to get it from CPW/P4U I'll just take out their insurance policy.

AtticusK

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My thinking is in alignment with yours, waiting for it to become available at CPW although I'm sure you're aware P4U already have it at ?459.

Do you therefore think once it becomes more widely available the price may be diluted slightly? That's pretty much the sole reason I'm holding fire.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Wait out till MWC, new phones will be announced and that second generation of phones will make Lumia 920 cheaper automatically. It would have been about 4-5 months since launch already.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Or buy it from EE locked (around ?399)and use fonefunshop.co.uk unlock (?30) = ?430

But then if I have to use Clone Phone (essentially EE's insurance) that's another ?30 to get that phone unlocked. Plus I don't trust those sites, as a firmware update could quite easily cause the phone to re-lock, dependent on where they got their unlock codes from.

My thinking is in alignment with yours, waiting for it to become available at CPW although I'm sure you're aware P4U already have it at ?459.

Do you therefore think once it becomes more widely available the price may be diluted slightly? That's pretty much the sole reason I'm holding fire.

That ?459 nets you an EE-locked handset. They don't have it network unlocked. That's why I've not yet bought (I don't mind paying the ?459, but be damned if I leave for EE/Orange, and I'm not exactly overly keen on going to T-Mobile although their deals are pretty decent when you factor in how they count your data usage). Although yes, once exclusivity ends and it becomes more available it will cause price cuts. Exclusivity means you can charge whatever the **** you want for it (for example I would pay ?26/mth for 1GB 4G, unlimited calls and texts, with EE. Compare that to Three. I pay ?25/mth for 2'000 any network minutes, 5'000 3-2-3 minutes, 5'000 texts, and all you can eat 3G with tethering included. I personally find the Three deal better. And yes, I get signal almost everywhere I go.)

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There are currently 2 places to get it unlocked, Clove (?520) and Expansys (?555), that's what the current going rate is because of exclusivity and short supply.

Exclusivity will end shortly, but I still doubt you'll be able to get them that easily for less than ?450.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There are currently 2 places to get it unlocked, Clove (?520) and Expansys (?555), that's what the current going rate is because of exclusivity and short supply.

Exclusivity will end shortly, but I still doubt you'll be able to get them that easily for less than ?450.

I'm starting to think maybe I now just need to bite the bullet and go T-Mobile for like 18 months (until WP9 comes out, and I can replace that handset), and just get it EE-locked... The ?459 price tag from P4U wouldn't concern me if it was just network unlocked... Unless... Can I buy it now from P4U, get it unlocked 3 months down the line via EE, and if I need to claim on P4U insurance, pay my excess and get an unlocked replacement (if EE exclusivity has ended by the time I have to make a claim)?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think maybe I now just need to bite the bullet and go T-Mobile for like 18 months (until WP9 comes out, and I can replace that handset), and just get it EE-locked... The ?459 price tag from P4U wouldn't concern me if it was just network unlocked... Unless... Can I buy it now from P4U, get it unlocked 3 months down the line via EE, and if I need to claim on P4U insurance, pay my excess and get an unlocked replacement (if EE exclusivity has ended by the time I have to make a claim)?

Well to be honest, I paid up the ?520, I consider about ?500 reasonable for the L920 so ?20 for having it unlocked etc was worth it IMO, especially as I'm only halfway through a contract with Vodafone.

You can buy it locked to EE, and they will supposedly unlock it after 3 months of you using their service but I don't know what the success rate is on this (it's only as per their word afaik).

I don't know what the situation would be with regard P4U insurance, but I do know that I certainly wouldn't take what the salesperson said about it at face value. Likelihood is that if they replaced it, it would be a like for like EE locked replacement.

My phone is being insured under my current account through Barclays. That might also be something for you to look into.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
But then if I have to use Clone Phone (essentially EE's insurance) that's another ?30 to get that phone unlocked. Plus I don't trust those sites, as a firmware update could quite easily cause the phone to re-lock, dependent on where they got their unlock codes from.

I bought mine from EE and paid ?35 for the fonefunshop unlock code. Since then, I have re-flashed it with the EE firmware, then the other day decided to flash it with the generic UK firmware which is the same as on the unlocked phone you buy from the lies of Clove. In all cases the phone stays unlocked. The code you get from fonefunshop offically unlocks the phone. From that point on it is an unlocked phone.

I was lucky and found out about the 20% pre-Christmas discount from EE stores. I got my Lumia 920 for ?329 + ?35 unlock fee. A veritable bargain :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from EE and paid ?35 for the fonefunshop unlock code. Since then, I have re-flashed it with the EE firmware, then the other day decided to flash it with the generic UK firmware which is the same as on the unlocked phone you buy from the lies of Clove. In all cases the phone stays unlocked. The code you get from fonefunshop offically unlocks the phone. From that point on it is an unlocked phone.

I was lucky and found out about the 20% pre-Christmas discount from EE stores. I got my Lumia 920 for ?329 + ?35 unlock fee. A veritable bargain :)

Yes but I mean say my phone has to be replaced, that'll be another ?35 down the pan for another unlock code for the new phone, as I always get insurance just in case it all goes pear shaped. And my experience with insurance has always been they replace it when damaged.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Phones4U do cheap sim free 920's
The Phones4U Nokia Lumias are locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile. Don't go there!

If you buy an Orange PAYG Lumia 920 from EE and get it unlocked you will end up paying around ?100 less than buying an 'unlocked' version from Clove. EE is still doing a free wireless charger too, adding in another ?50 of value. That saving would pay for four unlock codes should you be that unfortunate. After a second loss and insurance payout I doubt whether they would fund a third anyway, lol!

My phone is covered under my home insurance contents policy - isn't yours?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The Phones4U Nokia Lumias are locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile. Don't go there!

If you buy an Orange PAYG Lumia 920 from EE and get it unlocked you will end up paying around ?100 less than buying an 'unlocked' version from Clove. EE is still doing a free wireless charger too, adding in another ?50 of value. That saving would pay for four unlock codes should you be that unfortunate. After a second loss and insurance payout I doubt whether they would fund a third anyway, lol!

My phone is covered under my home insurance contents policy - isn't yours?

I don't have home insurance. Live with parents (they have home insurance but we cover my device under separate insurance). But that seems decent enough. I might get it tomorrow. Any idea what the turnaround is on the unlock codes? And is the Nokia Lumia EE branded?

Wait out till MWC, new phones will be announced and that second generation of phones will make Lumia 920 cheaper automatically. It would have been about 4-5 months since launch already.

Unfortunately I need it by the 26th January, got a friend's 21st I'm going to so the low-light photography will be a godsend. Might also get a PAC code for my phone and move to T-Mobile for a couple of months.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't have home insurance. Live with parents (they have home insurance but we cover my device under separate insurance). But that seems decent enough. I might get it tomorrow. Any idea what the turnaround is on the unlock codes? And is the Nokia Lumia EE branded?
The unlock code turnaround can by as quick as the next day, but could be three or four days. People are reporting a quick turnaround at the moment.

The Orange phone is not branded as such - no decals, nothing obvious on screen, only if you dig into 'about' in settings will you see reference to EE. You can flash it with the generic UK software and these references will disappear. Nothing to worry about.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The unlock code turnaround can by as quick as the next day, but could be three or four days. People are reporting a quick turnaround at the moment.

That'll be fantastic! Definitely worth it! Means I can use my Three SIM from the get go pretty much! I'll ask about Clone Phone while at the EE store too. But I am considering trialling T-Mobile for like 3 months or so. See if I can stick it out with them, due to the wonderful way their data plans work. I'll buy the phone tomorrow and think about it. If I move to T-Mobile I will need to get my PAC code from Three (urgh, kill me now! Three CS is HORRIBLE!) but then I can just keep on going.

The Orange phone is not branded as such - no decals, nothing obvious on screen, only if you dig into 'about' in settings will you see reference to EE. You can flash it with the generic UK software and these references will disappear. Nothing to worry about.

As Orange and T-Mobile are both EE, I can presume that the T-Mobile version will also have the no decals, nothing obvious on screen (wait, does that mean that phone's boot screen is simply Nokia logo, then WP logo, then to the lockscreen?) and only the reference to EE in About. If that's all it is, that doesn't concern me, if I'm being perfectly honest.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As Orange and T-Mobile are both EE, I can presume that the T-Mobile version will also have the no decals, nothing obvious on screen (wait, does that mean that phone's boot screen is simply Nokia logo, then WP logo, then to the lockscreen?) and only the reference to EE in About. If that's all it is, that doesn't concern me, if I'm being perfectly honest.
Exactly so. Gone are the days when Orange plastered their phones with decals, splash screens and suchlike.

I have my 3 SIM in the phone - and I find 3 CS excellent :) Always get someone who knows their stuff and can actually help. I've been with all the networks and 3 is the best!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Exactly so. Gone are the days when Orange plastered their phones with decals, splash screens and suchlike.

I have my 3 SIM in the phone - and I find 3 CS excellent :) Always get someone who knows their stuff and can actually help. I've been with all the networks and 3 is the best!

Your experience is different to mine. It can sometimes be a right headache getting someone who can understand me! I have a thick Yorkshire accent so that makes it hard to understand me sometimes. Of course, I'm thinking perhaps the 1.5GB data a month with T-Mo will be enough. Not to mention they freeze my data usage if I hit my limit so as not to get extra charges. As far as minutes and texts, they aren't that major an issue. Of course, I could always go Virgin Mobile (MVNO running off EE backend)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon