Another 920 - any point?

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a 920 in December and it was without a doubt the nicest piece of phone hardware I've ever owned.

I had it for two weeks and it went back because of constant reboots and also because live tiles / background tasks kept breaking.

I discussed how widespread the issues were with the retailer and because they'd had other phones back with the same issues we went for a refund on the assumption that it's at least partially a firmware problem. I've gone back to using my Galaxy Nexus (which is crap in comparison).

I want to know if anyone knows if the reboots are going to be addressed any time soon? My understanding was that the portico update doesn't fix them?

I'm trying to decide whether to get another 920 but given how pricy it is in the UK I will not put up with it being flaky (wasn't fun when it crashed while I was using Nokia Drive in the car).

I really like WP but a couple of other things are putting me off going back. Firstly, if I decide Nokia's phones are no good and think about say an Ativ S I don't get decent free satnav (which I'm used to). The other problem is Google. I've used Google services for years and am not about to ditch them for Outlook.com. I know new active sync connections can still be setup for the next couple if weeks (hence reconsidering this now) but long term I'm screwed if I want my Gmail/Calendar/Contacts on WP. Does anyone know if there's been any news about any of this that might improve things.

Anyway, obviously a loaded question on a WP forum but is there any point in me getting another 920 or should I just look for a new Android phone :/

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
If I where you, I would give it another go.
If we only take you and me as an exampel. 50 % (you) had problems with rebooting and 50 % (me) had no problems, that's pretty decent odds.
I did an internet poll with 182 people who bought the Lumia 920.
In the poll the question was, "How pleased are you with your L920?", the results was:
Extremely, and I have no problems at all, 115
Very happy, with some minor bug, 53
A little disappointed, 6
@#??# Phone!, 8

Now thats some really good odds, I would say that only 8 or maby 8+6 have experienced problems enough to want to return their phones, so there is a 92 % chance you will be happy and a 63 % chance that you will be jumping up and down screaming because your emotions of affection towards Nokia takes control over your body and goes berserk.

(I have a link to the poll but there is some Swedish curse words there so I wont post it since a I read somewhere that there where rules against it on this forum.)

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone has never randomly rebooted, and I've only had to do a soft reset one time when the battery died and the phone would not boot up afterwards. I got it on launch day here in the USA, 11/09/2012. My only complaint, thus far, would be that when I'm in an LTE area, battery life is reduced dramatically.

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts / info on the Google aspect?That's probably putting me off going back to the whole platform more than anything else.One thing I did notice in the long thread with details of those seeing reboots is that a lot of people do use Gmail on their 920s...

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts / info on the Google aspect?That's probably putting me off going back to the whole platform more than anything else.One thing I did notice in the long thread with details of those seeing reboots is that a lot of people do use Gmail on their 920s...

I'd just get a Nexus 4 and call it a day. Pretty hard to beat for the price. And it's getting increasingly hard to believe Microsoft is taking Windows Phone seriously. Maybe I'm just on a hair-trigger, but after getting screwed over in the WebOS debacle I'm kinda done with third-place OSes until they've proved themselves. I thought Windows Phone would be different, but damned if all the warning signs aren't there again. Microsoft provides more software support to iOS and Android than WP.
I'll hold onto my 820, but my GS3 is my primary phone for the foreseeable future.

jaybee425

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the L920 and traded for a Nexus 4. That lasted for 3 days as the battery life and lack of LTE were a kill point for me. Traded another guy for a brand new still sealed L920 and am perfectly happy with it. I wouldn't switch back if you paid me too. I'm a firm believer that WP8 will only get better and the Nokia L920 is a fantastic device with amazing build quality.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just do this. It's obviously what you want - if you are completely bought into the google ecosystem, why would you use a micrsoft-ecosystem device?
I really like WP. I find the OS superior to Android. What stopped me using a WP7 device for more than a few weeks at a time was the hardware specs (I wanted a decent sized high resolution screen). I thought that would finally be fixed by WP8.I only really want my GMail etc to work. I'm quite happy to give up other things like Drive / Latitude / Docs etc. I guess I'm not willing to go all in on WP so if I move from GMail to Outlook.com if I decent to go back to Android at some point it'll be a really bad experience (the android gmail client is excellent).Before the active sync mess I could just hop back and forth between Android/WP every few months :-(

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd just get a Nexus 4 and call it a day. Pretty hard to beat for the price. And it's getting increasingly hard to believe Microsoft is taking Windows Phone seriously. Maybe I'm just on a hair-trigger, but after getting screwed over in the WebOS debacle I'm kinda done with third-place OSes until they've proved themselves. I thought Windows Phone would be different, but damned if all the warning signs aren't there again. Microsoft provides more software support to iOS and Android than WP. I'll hold onto my 820, but my GS3 is my primary phone for the foreseeable future.
I'm not really seeing the point in getting an N4. I don't think it would be significantly better than my Galaxy Nexus (same screen size / res, same version of the OS). If there was a newer android flagship maybe I'd be more happy to buy one.I'm quite tempted to buy a cheaper WP8 phone to continue playing with (620?) and keep an Android phone as my main.Really wish that WP8 / the 920 had worked out for me :-(

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really seeing the point in getting an N4. I don't think it would be significantly better than my Galaxy Nexus (same screen size / res, same version of the OS). If there was a newer android flagship maybe I'd be more happy to buy one.I'm quite tempted to buy a cheaper WP8 phone to continue playing with (620?) and keep an Android phone as my main.Really wish that WP8 / the 920 had worked out for me :-(

The IPS screen is much nicer, the camera is substantially better, and the Snapdragon S4 blows the TI chipset in the Galaxy Nexus out of the water. Not to mention 2GB of RAM vs 1GB. The reviews of the Nexus 4 have been pretty stellar, and it seems to me that it's a clear upgrade. The Galaxy Nexus was kind of a dog.

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The IPS screen is much nicer, the camera is substantially better, and the Snapdragon S4 blows the TI chipset in the Galaxy Nexus out of the water. Not to mention 2GB of RAM vs 1GB. The reviews of the Nexus 4 have been pretty stellar, and it seems to me that it's a clear upgrade. The Galaxy Nexus was kind of a dog.
It's true the camera isn't great and it does lag... If I could get an N4 easily for the 'Google price' maybe I would be tempted but the supply situation is still a mess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos