Question about an unlocked Lumia

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've recently become a Lumia 920 owner and I bought an unlocked EE UK variant. I was just wondering if the unlocks work the same as they did with the iPhones, i.e. is the unlock permanent if you get the phone change under warranty and after firmware upgrades.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Have EE UK started selling unlocked 920's? As far as I know if you buy a 920 from EE it will be locked to the T-Mobile and Orange networks. However, if you then get an unlock code from EE it will remain unlocked even after updating the firmware. Unfortunately though, if you send your phone in for repair it will most likely be sent back to you locked again either because Nokia care will have re-flashed the EE firmware (including the SIM lock) or send you a replacement with the EE firmware.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Have EE UK started selling unlocked 920's? As far as I know if you buy a 920 from EE it will be locked to the T-Mobile and Orange networks. However, if you then get an unlock code from EE it will remain unlocked even after updating the firmware. Unfortunately though, if you send your phone in for repair it will most likely be sent back to you locked again either because Nokia care will have re-flashed the EE firmware (including the SIM lock) or send you a replacement with the EE firmware.

That is indeed the case. I purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 from EE and got the unlock code from Fonefunshop and had to return it to Nokia due to a fault and they issued me with a replacement handset that was locked to EE and told me that they can't unlock it and that it is an issue with EE not them.

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Have EE UK started selling unlocked 920's?

No, I bought it from a guy who just told me he got the unlock code from UnlockFrog.com

because Nokia care will have re-flashed the EE firmware (including the SIM lock)

So if I flash the phone with 'unbranded' firmware or flash it with EE firmware without the SIM lock, it'll stay unlocked or would I need to re-enter the unlock code?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos