Lumia 920 is great but WP8 looks bit unstable

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
On september when I purchased great Lumia 900. There wasen't a single case when I had to reset my device. Everything was stable although there happened to 2-3 cases when the desktop tiles start dancing and I had to restart my device.

Lumia 920 being a super smartphone or rolls royace of all touch screen smartphone, I purchased it last friday and twice I had to soft reset it once after installing that music player provided by google and 2nd time today when I installed some voice recorder application. There was one instance when I restarted my device due to stability issue and the battery meter went from 47% to 37% in a single restart.

Today I for the first time used Nokia Drive + (Beta) and it continously happend to freeze, show blank screen and doesn't happen to update the status on the map, heating the device.

Whenever i create a thread in this forum using my Lumia 920. In editable mode the moment I place the caret it shows keyboard and within seconds it disappears

WP 8 is a amazing OS. Despite havnig Peurtico version looks like I need to wait for 3-4 more upgrades to get a STABLE OS

yajur

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
On september when I purchased great Lumia 900. There wasen't a single case when I had to reset my device. Everything was stable although there happened to 2-3 cases when the desktop tiles start dancing and I had to restart my device.

Lumia 920 being a super smartphone or rolls royace of all touch screen smartphone, I purchased it last friday and twice I had to soft reset it once after installing that music player provided by google and 2nd time today when I installed some voice recorder application. There was one instance when I restarted my device due to stability issue and the battery meter went from 47% to 37% in a single restart.

Today I for the first time used Nokia Drive + (Beta) and it continously happend to freeze, show blank screen and doesn't happen to update the status on the map, heating the device.

Whenever i create a thread in this forum using my Lumia 920. In editable mode the moment I place the caret it shows keyboard and within seconds it disappears

WP 8 is a amazing OS. Despite havnig Peurtico version looks like I need to wait for 3-4 more upgrades to get a STABLE OS

yeah ur 100% correct iam planning to swith to iPhone 5 now

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
yeah ur 100% correct iam planning to swith to iPhone 5 now

You will deeply REGRET your decision. Despite having all these flaws I still love Lumia 920, its a wonderful device. iPhone 5 is not even closer within days you will get bored with it. With lumia 920 I am still exploring so many new things.

As far as OS stability is concerned. Once Nokia launches a complete version of Nokia Drive+ one issue will be eliminated, and I am OPTIMISTIC that within months Nokia will launch some more updates to make the camera much better, by changing the imaging algorithm and adding some softwares for burst shot, face detection and smile detection. The updated firmware will also be optimized to consume less battery

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
You will deeply REGRET your decision. Despite having all these flaws I still love Lumia 920, its a wonderful device. iPhone 5 is not even closer within days you will get bored with it. With lumia 920 I am still exploring so many new things.

As far as OS stability is concerned. Once Nokia launches a complete version of Nokia Drive+ one issue will be eliminated, and I am OPTIMISTIC that within months Nokia will launch some more updates to make the camera much better, by changing the imaging algorithm and adding some softwares for burst shot, face detection and smile detection. The updated firmware will also be optimized to consume less battery

I'm no iOS ******, but just statistically that's unlikely. iOS consumer satisfaction is off the charts, and that's just a fact.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I tend to agree. As much as I do have some heartburn with Nokia and my 920, I can't see leaving the platform. I don't however think the OS is unstable but as with the 900 when it dropped, you might have a device from a factory with less than acceptable standards of quality. Most the 900's with that network issue had devices traced to a factory in Mexico. Not sure if this is what accounts for the boomlets around the blogs about failed devices but I suspect it may.

yajur

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
my lumia last 6 to 9hrs but my iPhone 5 last more than 1 day

for time now iam going to i5 once all issue i may come back to lumia or i will use as secoundry phone.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I still had battery issues, disappearing keyboard, and some other little things after Portico. I gave Portico two weeks with not much change. I performed factory reset, software not the three button, and manually flashed Portico and reinstalled all of my apps from store and have noticed huge benefit. Battery is better, no reboots, and disappearing keyboard hasn't happened since. I hated this phone until that point. It has actually been working properly for me since then and all my complaints have gone away. Well, almost. I can't stand the camera on this phone but that's a different story.

If you attempt to do this, make sure you read the thread discussing the process. When you reset, you could get the never-ending spinning cogs which is why I had to manually flash OS. Some people thought reset bricked the phone, but somebody found a fix. Process looks complicated, but explanation covers things pretty well.

Try reset and give it some time to get your battery conditioned. Oh, and make sure your battery is fully charged before you reset and when you flash OS. The problem with battery is mostly reporting in software. That's Why it jumps around at times. I think if it sees a full charge at reset it reads level properly. I'll never buy another Nokia, but I am finally happy with operation of phone and OS. Good luck.

pogi920

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'am just curious, i own 920 with no complaints or issue like others having, i even did the manual portico update and makes my 920 even better in terms of camera and battery..OS concern no issue at all (laptop and phone)...how do others have different issues?..and noticed that most of the people having issues with the OS/920 is with the carriers/locked version..i got my 920 here in thailand no issue/problem at all...just sharing my experience..

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my 920, it would freeze on me every day or so, and sometimes several times a day. I keep all of my apps updated and have the OS update on it. Now I only have one app that will lock up on me, Words with Friends, and that software is known to be poorly written and cause lock ups, though I do not remember if it has frozen since the last update. I back out of every program I do not want to keep running with the back key instead of pressing the home key, and I block background tasks for all the apps I do not need running in the background from the settings screens (which are most of my apps). I have about 200 apps and 75 games installed, and my phone is now rock solid like my previous Samsung Focus was. I do not think it has frozen in a month and a half (except maybe once with the poorly written Words with Friends) and my battery life is outstanding as well. I at first thought I had a bad phone, but I am now convinced that my issues were badly written apps and probably the OS before the update. For me at least, Windows Phone 8 has been ultra stable. I believe apps at this point cause a lot of the issues. I see you have the OS update. You may want to try to disable background tasks for apps you do not need running in the background to make sure it is not an app that is causing your lockups. Or you could have a bad phone. And I have to agree on the Iphone, it would be a downgrade from the Lumia.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'am just curious, i own 920 with no complaints or issue like others having, i even did the manual portico update and makes my 920 even better in terms of camera and battery..OS concern no issue at all (laptop and phone)...how do others have different issues?..and noticed that most of the people having issues with the OS/920 is with the carriers/locked version..i got my 920 here in thailand no issue/problem at all...just sharing my experience..

I have a cyan 920 AT&T carrier branded/locked since launch and I even installed Portico over the air and not manually... I don't have one single issue... Nokia Drive+ beta is a battery hog but that's why I have a car charger but if I don't use it, I will a get a full day plus more out of my battery.

jfc572

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree with your decision to go to the iPhone 5. I did the same thing, had my 920 for a week and a half before making the switch. I loved the 920, the screen size, speed, memory, price, and the overall new experience. IOS and Android are the same to me so WP8 was refreshing.

BUT the 920's mechanical buttons stopped functioning out of the blue. The capacitive buttons were intermittent. It wasn't until I got to the AT&T store the following day was it able to come back to life. I got a replacement but ended up selling it.

I refuse to have a phone stop working on me in the middle of the day. And not to mention that the app support is lacking. I hated having to sell it because I am still supportive of the platform but in the end I'm a consumer and I need to get my money's worth. I still keep an eye on the current news on WP8 and will eventually come back to it when things are finally where I want them to be.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
WP8 has never locked up for me but most definitely has battery/power related bugs.

In fact, from a user experience perspective, it is more stable than iOS - I have had every iOS version lock up at some point or stutter, and have never had any such issue with WP8.

My wife's phone however had many lock ups. We replaced her phone and it works perfectly.

Personally I think any phones that show locks should be returned for good units.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your decision to go to the iPhone 5. I did the same thing, had my 920 for a week and a half before making the switch. I loved the 920, the screen size, speed, memory, price, and the overall new experience. IOS and Android are the same to me so WP8 was refreshing.

BUT the 920's mechanical buttons stopped functioning out of the blue. The capacitive buttons were intermittent. It wasn't until I got to the AT&T store the following day was it able to come back to life. I got a replacement but ended up selling it.

I refuse to have a phone stop working on me in the middle of the day. And not to mention that the app support is lacking. I hated having to sell it because I am still supportive of the platform but in the end I'm a consumer and I need to get my money's worth. I still keep an eye on the current news on WP8 and will eventually come back to it when things are finally where I want them to be.
it will never get there with this mentality , I just don't understand how people say they ate not getting their moneys worth, lol. Have fun with your iPhone ;)

Yes their are some hardware issues Nokia needs to fix, but they have taken excellent care of me , I've had to get 6 Nokia Lumias, but I finally got one that works perfectly.

Yes I shouldn't have to exchange that many times but at least Nokia is willing to get it right, can't say the same for many other companies.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
WP8 has never locked up for me but most definitely has battery/power related bugs.

In fact, from a user experience perspective, it is more stable than iOS - I have had every iOS version lock up at some point or stutter, and have never had any such issue with WP8.

My wife's phone however had many lock ups. We replaced her phone and it works perfectly.

Personally I think any phones that show locks should be returned for good units.

word! And Nokia support is awesome, they won't just tell you that your using your phone wrong! ;)

I don't get why people so blindly endorse a company that thinks their customers are idiots like apple does.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is absolutely amazing compared to my previous android phones. I find it way more stable and runs much quicker/smoother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077