Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I have a 2012 scion tc, before I switched to my L920 (which i nevver want to get another phone after) I had an IPhone 4. I would use it normally to play music through usb in my car. But when I plug my nokia in, the thing doesnt even charge let alone show up to play music.

Anyone have any idea of why this is? I read that it might be something with the MTP or UMS but I searched on WPCentral and it says that WP8 does have UMS compatibility so where is the issue if anyone could help please

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Forget it. It wont work.

The problem is that lumia920 cannot be seen as a Mass Storage for car audio systems. That is why it says Incompatible Device and it cannt play musics.

And yes, it cannot be charged by your car usb port either.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Try Bluetooth instead
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

That's so depressing big stream radio stations on my phone and I have no means of even charging it????? Why can't we get these little things? What is Microsoft afraid of? I really hope someone could put this through to Microsoft and get their attention. I want to enjoy my music ATLEASTBLET ME CHARGE THE DAM THING. my nexus 7 charges for gods sake and its a tablet

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    The 920 will charge in my LandRover (using the built-in USB port). I think it largely depends on how much power the car is providing to the USB. This doesn't have todo with the phone. Much like the iPad, the iPad wants a 10w USB which is rare (it will trickle charge with at 5w USB). The Nokia Lumia 920 wants a 10w as well, though it will charge with a 5w.

I even tried my nexus 7 tablet I'm the,car,and it works fine. Even plays music. How ridiculous is that? That's my biggest disappointment in this phone and probably the only disappointment besides the YALA app that they haven't fixed for months and me after reporting it to MS everyday.

Out of curiosity, is it different if you unlock your phone before you plug it in? If I unlock my phone, then connect it via USB, my car can read the filesystem on it (I have a an Explorer with Sync), but it will not read it all if the phone is locked.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    This is a power/electric issue as far as charging goes. It works in some cars, and it some cars it does not. Does not work in either of the cars I use. This is not about Microsoft willingly denying you to use your phone in the car. Bluetooth connection works flawlessly though to stream your music.

I want to charge my phone sir......thats the main point here. I have an AUX that kicks BT ***. But I drive about 2 hours to get home from college so its guna gulp up a chunk of my batter that's why I want to charge it.

I actually should check if I unlock it and then plug it in. NEVER CROSSED MY MIND. If this works I will love you and this phone forever.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Alternatively, get a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by phonohead View Post
    Alternatively, get a new car.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by whrocky5092 View Post
    I want to charge my phone sir......thats the main point here. I have an AUX that kicks BT ***. But I drive about 2 hours to get home from college so its guna gulp up a chunk of my batter that's why I want to charge it.

I actually should check if I unlock it and then plug it in. NEVER CROSSED MY MIND. If this works I will love you and this phone forever.

Also, try the Nokia USB cable. Ive seen cases where some cable wont even charge the phone..not to mention data transfer and etc

Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    Also, try the Nokia USB cable. Ive seen cases where some cable wont even charge the phone..not to mention data transfer and etc
    why would that make any difference? I'm curious

with respect to the charging that has nothing to do with the phone, but all to do with your car. not all usb port in cars carry voltage for charging. if you want to charge via usb i suggest purchasing one of these: Dynex USB Car Charger (DX-ACDC2XD) : Other MP3 - Best Buy Canada

Tried unlocking my phone and then using the provided charger to plug and play. Car cones up with the same "USB error" on my screen. Sucks for me

Quote Originally Posted by whrocky5092 View Post
    Tried unlocking my phone and then using the provided charger to plug and play. Car cones up with the same "USB error" on my screen. Sucks for me
    why not just get a cigarette plug car charger? its like $2 on amazon plus free shipping.

I'm guna end up doing that but why. It bothers me that my phone isn't working.