Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I know there is a thread here, but I tried using a compressed air duster and lots of other stuff, and it didn't work. Some help please? Thanks.

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Taking it back to point of purchase for a replacement is probably your best bet.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Taking it back to point of purchase for a replacement is probably your best bet.
    Aww

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Seriously, get it replaced. You shouldn't have to put up with dust under the screen.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

I've had 2 and they're both like it. I'm just gonna put up with it, they're probably all the same. Blow through with an air line / compressed air
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyGitz View Post
    I've had 2 and they're both like it. I'm just gonna put up with it, they're probably all the same. Blow through with an air line / compressed air
    Like I said in my post, I tried that. The headphone jack and phone speaker.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Seriously, get it replaced. You shouldn't have to put up with dust under the screen.
    It's just I don't want a refurbished phone.

Did you purchase insurance? I would think that would be covered and you could get a new phone.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    How long have you had the phone?
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

It is covered by Nokia under warranty. Good luck finding a replacement that doesn't collect dust though. The replacement they sent me has the exact same issue.
    Thanked by:

It's not worth it to switch for a new one. How often will you be using your front camera anyway? The only purpose of it would be to take pictures of yourself or to Skype. If there were issues of dust being in the back camera, then that's a problem.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I am on my second replacement for this exact issue. Phone #3 is starting to exhibit dust in the FFC too. This is a design flaw inherent to the 920.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    yeah, got my lumia this past Thursday at radioshack and it already has dust and on top of that i have rattle on vibrate, this might go back and see if i stick with the 920. I really wanted to enjoy this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by nehfun View Post
    It's not worth it to switch for a new one. How often will you be using your front camera anyway? The only purpose of it would be to take pictures of yourself or to Skype. If there were issues of dust being in the back camera, then that's a problem.
    I use my front camera quite a bit and I'll use it even more when Skype gets its issues sorted out.

I have had mine since early November, and I do not have any dust issues with my front facing camera. It may be a problem with some 920's, but not all of them have the problem.
  16.    #16  
    I hope Nokia addresses this issue.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tibere86 View Post
    I am on my second replacement for this exact issue. Phone #3 is starting to exhibit dust in the FFC too. This is a design flaw inherent to the 920.
    It's not just the 920.
    My 820 has the exact same problem as well - I haven't given it much thought as I've never used the front cam but it does mar the look on an otherwise perfect-looking phone.

Actually, it's just waste of time to get replacement just for this dust issue. It's already proved this is a hardware design flaw.
    The edge of display and it's frame above the front camera and the proximity sensor is just too thin to be sealed air-tight.
    When you look closely along the seam around the Nokia logo area, you can see dust accumulated inside the seam. And the seam around above front camera and proximity sensor had a very tiny gap. That's where the dust goes into the camera and the proximity sensor.
    Once the dust polluting the proximity sensor enough, you will get the problem of screen blackout while making calls.

What now I'm doing with mine is sucking out the dust by using vacuum.. And affix an ugly transparent tape on the seam, so that dust will no longer go in.
    I don't care front camera got dust...but I do mind that proximity sensor got blocked out.

I don't think Nokia can fix this issue easily. Unlike Apple Inc could give a free bumper to solve the iPhone 4 antenna gate. This time Nokia got the challenge how to seal that tiny area after the positions of front camera and proximity sensor have been placed so close to the edge of digitalizer glass.

We are waiting for the Nokia Lumia 930...I think.

NOKIA, more and more Lumia 920 is shipping out!
    Tell us if this hardware design flaw has got mitigated or not. At lease, we can go to service center to get a good replacement back rather than another new phone with same problem.
    Or you can wait till millions of Lumia 920 users crying out for recalling the defective product.

Same on my phone. Sometimes I take the dust cleaner and sometimes I blow in the speaker to make it work again. I still cannot believe that this could happen to a phone for about 650 Euro. This will probably be my last Nokia phone i bought.

You don't need to blow into the speaker. Just blow into the tiny seam above the camera will do, and even more effective.

My first Lumia 920 didn't have a problem. Unfortunately, I dropped that one and had to get a replacement. The new phone does have dust under there. I'm not happy about it, but then I don't use that camera.

I'm fairly certain that the problem is related to how close the glass sits to the plastic bezel. On my other phone it was flush along the top. On this one it's not. So I see dust build up along the seam. In the seam, just above the camera I can see an indentation. So if I had to guess I'd say it's open right into the space in front of the lens, hence dust building up in there.

Honestly, I don't know if it's worth the trouble trying to get this fixed. You're likely to just end up with another phone with the same problem.

I do regret having dropped my first phone.

Let get the clue how dust gets in:
    (All photo was a screen capture from an youtuber: LE55ONS (http://m.youtube.com/#/user/LE55ONS)

1. This photo shows the size of the front camera unit:
    2013_01_21_23_33_50.jpg

2. This photo shows the frame of the front camera on the plastic bezel for the display unit. It is too close to the edge of the bezel. It remains no room to seal with the glass on top.
    2013_01_21_23_34_40.jpg

3. You can also see on the display glass how close the area for camera and proximity sensor with the display edge.
    2013_01_21_23_36_17.jpg
    Last edited by MikamiEamon; 01-24-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Update Photo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast