To Portico or not to Portico

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Alright, it's been about a month since the Portico update. After it was released, there were enough posts here about problems it was causing that I decided to wait before I installed it on my phone. I've read a number of posts discussing the problems people encountered after installing it, but it seems there were comparatively few posts from people who were happy with it. So, I'll put the question to those of you who did install it. One month later, do you wish you hadn't? For those of us who have waited to install the update, do you recommend doing so or waiting for another update?

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I Used only my 820 without... After Finally getting a 920 (Which here in Germany was real Hard!) i flashed Portico before Using the Phone and had no Problems at All it runs Perfectly!

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I installed Portico a week ago.

For me it made a huge difference, in terms of battery life when phone is in use. No difference when in standby, but when in use I have battery battery life of about 30-40% subjectively.

Other than that, Wordament no longer overheats my phone, haven't noticed sharpness difference in photos to be fixed, but it does not bother me any more.

What else.... Ahh, yes! Number one thing I love, Wifi alive option! Only for this it was worth it, wifi no longer goes to sleep when phone is locked and thanks to this I am not draining battery and 3g network allowance, plus, Wifi is much better for the battery. And it only drains about 6-8% of battery with wifi on over night.

Wifi and battery improvements - those were worth it.

When you upgrade, hard reset your phone afterwards just in case, should make a difference :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have not had the option yet. Can I select WiFi to sleep like the old way, once Portico is installed. I had hoped for a raft of bug fixes with it, I had hoped it would fix my sound issue.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I installed it two days ago. I thought there were two BIG issues which would be fixed (been there since WP8 was launched): The random freeze and reboot bugs. They are still there ...
Some functionality has been improved, but I really don't understand the priorities...

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I flashed it with the GB generic Portico firmware and I have noticed nothing negative. The phone is just like it was before I upgraded it - similar battery life, just as stable but with the advantages of the update.

Remember you will normally see negative posts online . . .

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Updated when it came out on ATT and never had any problems. I think the overwhelming consensus at the time was that it was an improvement for most and only a small (vocal) minority had issues.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the screen dimming issue. Yes I'm aware of the "calibration" fix. It is temporary at best. The extra issues are really a non-issue for me. I'd look at the update list, and decide if you actually want all those things there. Otherwise I've had no battery issue, and it might actually have a slightly better life now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Alright, it's been about a month since the Portico update. After it was released, there were enough posts here about problems it was causing that I decided to wait before I installed it on my phone. I've read a number of posts discussing the problems people encountered after installing it, but it seems there were comparatively few posts from people who were happy with it. So, I'll put the question to those of you who did install it. One month later, do you wish you hadn't? For those of us who have waited to install the update, do you recommend doing so or waiting for another update?

Determine what you can live without before you do it. It broke my accelerometer so I can't do landscape anymore. Nokia support was no help so I'm looking at buying another phone. Probably won't be a 920.

duz

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Err, your phone is under warranty, Nokia is obligated to repair faulty handsets, and are generally happy to do so....

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've not had any problems at all. In fact, battery life is a great deal better than before. I have no issues getting through the entire day with heavy usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99