Turns off / Crashes once a day

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi. My Lumia 920 turns off / crashes (black screen) once a day and the only way to bring it back to life is by doing a soft-reset!!! It really happens exactly once a day and I have no idea what the issue might be... Got the phone 3 days ago and it happened 3 times...

Any ideas?!

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Random time of the day... But its like after around 18-24 hrs..

After the first crash, I have just done a soft-reset, after second I did a full reset of the phone and just installed Whatsapp and Facebook app to see if its an issue with an app I had on my phone... But as it just happened again.. There must be another reason..

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Disabling background tasks helps, but does't fix this issue for me. Only reliable fix I've found is disabling WiFi (which was after chatting with Nokia/Windows Phone support). I suspect there's an issue out there that MS/Nokia are chasing down.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Disabling background tasks helps, but does't fix this issue for me. Only reliable fix I've found is disabling WiFi (which was after chatting with Nokia/Windows Phone support). I suspect there's an issue out there that MS/Nokia are chasing down.

So you are experiencing the same issue with your Lumia 920? Is it happening once a day too? For how long do you have that problem!? Its annoying as the soft-reset always resets date/time...

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So you are experiencing the same issue with your Lumia 920? Is it happening once a day too? For how long do you have that problem!? Its annoying as the soft-reset always resets date/time...

Mine happens randomly, but it's always when I go to use the phone after it's been sitting, never while I'm actually using it. I would say it happened multiple times a day at the peak, and it's been happening on and off since I got the phone on launch day.

Soft reset doesn't reset date/time for me, are you not getting that from the carrier?

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope, it's always reseting date/time when I do the soft-reset (German Telekom). Why didn't you try to get an replacement? Isn't that VERY annoying?!

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Nope, it's always reseting date/time when I do the soft-reset (German Telekom). Why didn't you try to get an replacement? Isn't that VERY annoying?!

I can't be without my phone for a week while it gets replaced, and it sounds like there's no guarantee the replacement won't have the same issues. Disabling WiFi seems to resolve the issue, and I've been working with Microsoft/Nokia to see if this is a software issue that can be patched.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't be without my phone for a week while it gets replaced, and it sounds like there's no guarantee the replacement won't have the same issues. Disabling WiFi seems to resolve the issue, and I've been working with Microsoft/Nokia to see if this is a software issue that can be patched.
So can you say that is is an SW issue?! The Lumia 920 I had before (having some serious other issues) didn't have that problem..

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Turning off WiFi didn't work for me... Just crashed again... 4th day of having the new (replaced) phone... 4th time of that bloody crash... I really don't know what to do. I am really losing fun of using my Lumia as I already had to send it in for reparation twice... Getting sick of it... :(

UPDATE just 45 minutes later:
After doing a full reset of the phone and not installing any updates/apps, not configuring any accounts, just leaving the phone as it is after the reset... SAME CRASH AGAIN!!!

:(

Last edited:

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have just had a chat with Nokia... Apparently a (buggy) SIM-Card can cause this kind of issue!! So I am using my phone without SIM for testing... Gonna let you know!

SlightlyDum

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
@Autumnride... I also read somewhere that the sim card may be the cause of the problem. I'm having the same problem on my Yellow Unlock 920. It usually happens randomly, like every other day when i wake up in the morning. Give us an update if thats the issue and i'll go and get another sim from my carrier. If you haven't tried already... i read that some people uninstalling nokia drive and turning Location off in the setting has help (not for me but maybe for you).

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
@Autumnride... I also read somewhere that the sim card may be the cause of the problem. I'm having the same problem on my Yellow Unlock 920. It usually happens randomly, like every other day when i wake up in the morning. Give us an update if thats the issue and i'll go and get another sim from my carrier. If you haven't tried already... i read that some people uninstalling nokia drive and turning Location off in the setting has help (not for me but maybe for you).

Nothing really helped (tried different things, including turning flight-mode on, wifi off, etc... it even happened on a just reset phone without any configurations or apps installed)

So I really hope that it is the SIM card... Until now everything is working fine! :)

I'll keep you posted! :)

gumpert7

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
same thing happens to my lumia 820. However it stops happening when i turn mobile data off when using wifi. Give it a try.

Seems to me 3g/mobile data on whilst connected to wifi can cause this (probably happens when the phone tries to sync something). Very very annoying

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, 10 hrs later... The next morning.. Everything is still working and the phone seems to be fixed!! :) YEY

Funny thing though... I was dreaming that it did crash again... DAMN THAT LUMIA DRIVES ME CRAZY...

One last update tonight and if it still is working by then, you (having the same issue) should get a new SIM card!

siero2h

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah please keep us update about..
i was following the discussion and i'm having the same problem, i try diferent things but once a day or two days it reboot, and it seems so randomly..

i was reading even in other forum that the sim might be the cause..
and i have a regular sim that has been cut to be mini-sim..

so please keep us update if that was the problem.
thx

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok everybody.. Still not having any issue >> The phone seems to be fixed (finally)!!
In case the problem is coming back I gonna let you know (here).. If you don't hear anything from me in this thread my Lumia is still working!! :)

Issue: Lumia 920 freezes randomly when not in use. Only way to restart phone by soft-reset.

Cause: (defective) SIM card.

Solution: Change SIM card!

UPDATE: It happened again tonight.. Phone was frozen when I woke up, so apparently changing SIM card didn't fix the issue. It was much better with the other SIM card though.. So I am sorry to say, that I still don't know what the issue is and I gonna send my Lumia in for reparation AGIAN (3rd time).... DAMN that really sucks..

Last edited:

siero2h

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, autumnride, i hope not to hear from you, :-D
my phone keeps reboot, i really hope the cause is the SIM, if not i will have to think that is some kind of short circuit due to a general bad construction quality.
From my point of view and from what i read i don't think is a software problem.. i'm still waiting portico on my phone but i do not have big hope it will fix the reboot problem.
i wanna say that i saw the reboot hapening 4-5 times, most of the time i notice it because i take it off from my pocket and the phone ask me the sim pin.. so if someone do not have the pin security on might not notice the reboot.

thx again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb