White 920 - white finish chipping off around camera area

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just reading up on the insurance details.. Seems its not going to be as easy as I thought. $125 deductable and they'll ship me a replacement? Wtf...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup, that's how the insurance works on any phone, unfortunately. Still, $125 vs $450 for a new one isn't bad, but it's still $125 for something you thought was fully covered. I've been contemplating a case for mine, I may toss some money down for one. Although, I haven't cased a phone in years (tried a few times, but they always ended up sitting on the table). Had this for a month now, and no problems so far, but that could change at the drop of a hat... or a phone.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I made the insurance claim. Now the wait... I really hope they don't send me a refurb 920, or one that has all those issues that people are having. I didn't have one problem with mine other than the cosmetic stuff I posted in this thread and then of course the shattered screen.

For the time being, I popped my micro sim back in my old iPhone 4 so I'm not without a phone until my replacement gets here.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I couldn't see the pics yesterday for some reason (work network is wonky, mainly). Those made me tear up a bit. I'm glad you're getting another sent to you. Good luck with it in the future!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's really odd about the chipping. I wouldn't have thought plastic would have a clearcoat. But I suppose that's why the polycarbonate is so scratch resistant.

I'd venture to say that particular phone had a bad application, especially given where it's chipping. I dropped my previous phone and got the corner of the shell dented and still saw no evidence of a finish. Although, given the destruction of the phone it's a bit of a moot point.

I suspect we'll be hearing more about this as these phones age. By that point Nokia will have moved on to aluminum bodied Lumias and we'll be out of luck.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Tell me this isn't sad; looking at a picture of my shattered screen 920 on my shattered screen iPhone 4! :/ huuuuuurrr

AC701470-CD07-43AC-94C5-E3C60DBB1227-1422-00000170612F104E.jpg

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
At least I have an Otterbox the iPhone to hold the glass in place where I can still use it. The Nokia's glass is falling out and very sharp pieces.

Chill510

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I also have this issue with my white Lumia 920. I don't have any cases on it since I prefer the natural feel of the phone. But my gloss finish is peeling from the camera metal plate edges. Kinda sucks makes the beautiful white look kinda crappy but only if you look closely.

I use my wireless charger plate constantly...i wonder if that has anything to do with it?.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I really hope the replacement 920 I'm being sent doesn't have any of the "popular" issues. Mine was problem free until I dropped it... Had it for two months and not one single freeze, random reboot, battery issue, etc..

I was starting to get the dust under the front camera area thing though.. along with the white finish chipping issue, so maybe this replacement was just meant to be.. Idk

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12