White 920 - white finish chipping off around camera area

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is that an optical illusion or is that a 900 and a 920?

1) I thought you said you broke your 920...
2) it has the WP8 logo...

It has to be a 920...trippy....

(I would have gotten a white otterbox, my 2 cents.)

They're both 920s.. The broken one and it's replacement. lol

They didn't have the Otterbox in white at the store. I'm cool with the black/grey combo.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a single one, and I'm pretty hard on my electronics (I think I've dropped this phone at least daily since I got it).

Right there with you. With the exception of the proximity sensor getting flaky(blowing it out fixes it) mine has been solid. Still running the same black one I got on launch day.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, so far my new 920 has been perfect! Not one single issue with the hardware. The wireless charging plate works awesome... and I love the new sense of security with the phone being in the Otterbox.. It's what I'm used to, coming from having my iPhones (4 generations of them!) in otterboxes and on my belt/clippy thing.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, so far my new 920 has been perfect! Not one single issue with the hardware. The wireless charging plate works awesome... and I love the new sense of security with the phone being in the Otterbox.. It's what I'm used to, coming from having my iPhones (4 generations of them!) in otterboxes and on my belt/clippy thing.

But it's a BLACK Otterbox... Kinda defeats the purpose of that gorgeous white finish.

Glad you're not having any issues!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
But it's a BLACK Otterbox... Kinda defeats the purpose of that gorgeous white finish.

Glad you're not having any issues!
It's fine.. That gorgeous white finish is being protected while I'm at work. And whenever I'm at home, I can simply pop the case off when I want to admire and marvel at the flawless, scratch free finish of my white Nokia Lumia 920.

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Im thinking about getting a case for my white lumia as well. I've had it since nov, and the glossy finish is slowly being rubbed away by scratches. I've dropped it several times too lol, one corner is dented. I need a case >.>

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It only takes dropping it just right one time to shatter the screen. The Gorilla glass is tough, but no match for a ceramic tile floor! lol

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I love my lumia 920 as much as anybody else but I think maybe its time we all stop bragging about Nokia's build quality. Nearly everyone on this forum has received at least 1 warranty replacement. There are so many different manufacturing issues its dizzying. I have to wonder how many of their touted 4.4 million sales were swallowed with all these warranty returns. My wife and I will have consumed 6 units between us.

Wow really? Well I'm one guy who bought his Lumia 920 at launch and I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm still using the first phone I bought. I think people who have had to return a phone due to problems seem to think that everyone has had the same experience. I'm sorry you had trouble, but i'm here to tell you that it simply isn't the norm. I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias at work here. The truth is most people who have no problems don't bother to post on a forum to talk about how they have no problems and their phone is great. Mostly people come to forums to vent and ***** about problems.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
LOL You sound just like someone I know

Sounds like an intelligent guy or girl... :/

I think it would look hot in a matte finish, and with 4000 grit I don't have to worry about scratch marks, scuffing the ceramic camera strip, or anything but a beautiful, smooth, factory-looking finish.

Just think of it as a preemptive strike!

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ended up buying a case from att store. Now my white phone is black :( but I have dropped it way to many times to not get one. The corner of my phone has a nice dent lol. This us the same phone I've had since launch. Still no problems ;)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ended up buying a case from att store. Now my white phone is black :( but I have dropped it way to many times to not get one. The corner of my phone has a nice dent lol. This us the same phone I've had since launch. Still no problems ;)
Good call on the case! I feel a lot better having the Otterbox on mine, especially at work.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine is chipping off around the camera area now too. I can practically peel the gloss finish off myself with my nails. Is this normal or should I be contacting Nokia about it? Makes the phone look ugly, like when your skin peels after a sun burn. I've never dropped the phone and have had it since January.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty disappointing. It just scratches off so easily, I can chip new areas off the camera plate with my finger nail.

kaeblade

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
My red Lumia 920 has started chipping where the polycarbonate and the black ceramic camera plate meet too. :(

Is this covered by the warranty?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs