Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Just noticed this this morning.. I'll try to take/post a pic later, but the glossy finish of my white Lumia 920 is starting to chip away around the rear camera (the Carl Zeiss thing). Kinda bummed out about it, as I've been bragging about Nokia's otherwise outstanding build quality. :(

I do have insurance on this beast though! :)

Anyone else having this issue? I don't have a case or cover for my 920.. Been naked since day one. Phone's about two months old now.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    I've had mine for about a month now, and nothing going on like that (white glossy as well). I'd say, time to try a return/replacement, and if that doesn't work out, try the insurance route.

I'll have to dust off the ole iPhone 4 when I get home this evening to take a picture of it.
    I love my lumia 920 as much as anybody else but I think maybe its time we all stop bragging about Nokia's build quality. Nearly everyone on this forum has received at least 1 warranty replacement. There are so many different manufacturing issues its dizzying. I have to wonder how many of their touted 4.4 million sales were swallowed with all these warranty returns. My wife and I will have consumed 6 units between us.

Well, that's an attempt at "sharing" a SkyDrive picture^^ For some reason, my Photobucket app isn't working right this morning. Imagine that.... Errrghh

Alright, I had to boot up the PC to post these pics.. trying to "share" them with the phone/skydrive was about to drive me bat**** insane..

Are these phones painted or is the polycarbonate the same color all the way through?

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lehtovaara View Post
    Nearly everyone on this forum has received at least 1 warranty replacement.
    I haven't had a single one, and I'm pretty hard on my electronics (I think I've dropped this phone at least daily since I got it).
    Thanked by:
    n7slc 

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts

Well.... I was all worried about the white finish chipping off the back of my 920, then tonight it slid off my lap from a seated position, fell 2 feet onto a ceramic tile floor and completely SHATTERED the screen! :(

Guess I'll be utilizing that insurance after all..

And when I pick up my new 920, I'll buy an Otterbox for the damn thing! (or something)

I is a sad puppy sniff sniff :'(

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Dang! Great way to have that accident considering the situation you are in. lol. kiddin' :)

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    ouch :(

It seems like the high-gloss finish is wearing off. My black Lumia is also slightly disappointing. The Lens cover (Carl-Zeiss thingy) has scratches around the edges and the screen has one very light scratch already. Been through it for about 2 weeks. Casing hasn't arrived from HK yet..

When I go into the at&t store today.. they better have a brand new one to give me.

I was just reading up on the insurance details.. Seems its not going to be as easy as I thought. $125 deductable and they'll ship me a replacement? Wtf...

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Yup, that's how the insurance works on any phone, unfortunately. Still, $125 vs $450 for a new one isn't bad, but it's still $125 for something you thought was fully covered. I've been contemplating a case for mine, I may toss some money down for one. Although, I haven't cased a phone in years (tried a few times, but they always ended up sitting on the table). Had this for a month now, and no problems so far, but that could change at the drop of a hat... or a phone.

Ok, so I made the insurance claim. Now the wait... I really hope they don't send me a refurb 920, or one that has all those issues that people are having. I didn't have one problem with mine other than the cosmetic stuff I posted in this thread and then of course the shattered screen.

For the time being, I popped my micro sim back in my old iPhone 4 so I'm not without a phone until my replacement gets here.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    So, I couldn't see the pics yesterday for some reason (work network is wonky, mainly). Those made me tear up a bit. I'm glad you're getting another sent to you. Good luck with it in the future!

That's really odd about the chipping. I wouldn't have thought plastic would have a clearcoat. But I suppose that's why the polycarbonate is so scratch resistant.

I'd venture to say that particular phone had a bad application, especially given where it's chipping. I dropped my previous phone and got the corner of the shell dented and still saw no evidence of a finish. Although, given the destruction of the phone it's a bit of a moot point.

I suspect we'll be hearing more about this as these phones age. By that point Nokia will have moved on to aluminum bodied Lumias and we'll be out of luck.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast