Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67
Like Tree36Likes
  1. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyshine77 View Post
    Very unlikely that all 920 are defective, that doesn't mean a large % are in fact defective. Not every Toyota had accelerator issues, but after some pressure they recalled every car with that system. The only reason they did this was because of safety.
    I wouldn't mind Nokia recalling all of the phones and sending out confirmed perfect phones.

    Yea I'm a tech junky, I always want the latest greatest. My girlfriend hates that about me lol.
    Thanked by:
    hyedefinition and Andyshine77 like this.
  2. cashcar1979's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyshine77 View Post
    You've had 6 different phones?? If this where a car would you still want to own the same make??

    Am I complaining? YES. Do I have any interest in dealing with Nokia again and getting another defective phone? NO. I'll simply get a different phone in a few months, it's just a shame I wasted my time and money. The 920 should be recalled plain and simple, but that will never happen.
    Good riddance...you should just stick to land lines going forward.
    Thanked by:
    congusano likes this.
  3. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #28  
    Picked up 920 on ATT at launch. I'm on #2 and it wasn't any better than the first one. I've fought with this phone since I got it. After three months and many hours of adjusting, resetting and adjusting some more, I finally have descent battery life with my usage. Well, what I consider descent. But, I'll never buy another Nokia product until I read the real people reviews. And I still think the camera is over hyped inconsistent crap.
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  4. hyedefinition's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Mos View Post
    are you sure it is not the auto brightness setting the brightness at two different levels? do the same test with the auto brightness off if it is on. Also, make sure that both phones are not in power saving modes.
    absolutely not. kept it in high brightness for comparisons sake.
  5. hyedefinition's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
       #30  
    Reading all the comments, I feel thoroughly disappointed by Nokia. The problem is I would not have noticed it if I didn't compare it side by side with another 920.

    I did compare it with a One X and credited the tint to the CBD. Found out it wasn't true. I'm glad I got this device, but Nokia pushing out devices with an obvious difference between batches is pathetic. I've ignored the dust issues, those are minor to me...but this did get me sad for being one of the first customers.
  6. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #31  
    I know most phones are now made in China, but when I saw that written on the side of my 920's box, I still wasn't happy to see it. Really what can one expect from anything made in China?? My 900 was made in Korea, at least they can make OK cars and electronics.
    Last edited by Andyshine77; 01-22-2013 at 10:40 PM.
  7. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    Good riddance...you should just stick to land lines going forward.
    Really?? So 6 phones that don't work properly is acceptable??
  8. snakebitten's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #33  
    I do think it is naive to think the 920 isn't suffering from a higher than normal "return rate". It is.

    But I also think it is naive to think that the folks that say they have no problems with their 920 are just too ignorant to know that it is flawed.

    I have 2 920's that have nothing wrong with them. But each of them are replacements for the original purchased unit. (one had a crackle from the speaker before it played the normal sounds. The other had the horrible reboot issue)

    I see it as a quality control failure. But I don't expect the 2 fantastic units I currently have to just break. This forum has enough posts to get a general idea of what the 920 defects are.

    And finally, although I understand your frustrations can sour your opinion of your 920, the claim there is nothing special about the 920 is a bit silly. I'm ok if you don't like WP8. Its not for everyone. But the industry itself is pretty impressed with the overall performance of this hardware\software package. And deservedly so.

    I suspect that at some moment in time, even the now disgruntled were intrigued. Its how they got here.
  9. hyedefinition's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
       #34  
    Most people would ignore these issues if there wasn't a difference between the same PHONES. Damn, Nokia beta tested us again. :(
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  10. erzhik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    587 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyshine77 View Post
    Well said!!! I feel the same way, I actually liked my 900 it was a great phone. I'm stuck with this POS 920 for awhile. In march I'll be eligible for an early upgrade, this phone will go in the garbage where it belongs.
    Garbage? can I get it instead? I'll even pay shipping.
  11. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I do think it is naive to think the 920 isn't suffering from a higher than normal "return rate". It is.

    But I also think it is naive to think that the folks that say they have no problems with their 920 are just too ignorant to know that it is flawed.

    I have 2 920's that have nothing wrong with them. But each of them are replacements for the original purchased unit. (one had a crackle from the speaker before it played the normal sounds.
    I thought that that sound was normal, just the speaker turning on, it really doesn't bother me.
  12. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
    Garbage? can I get it instead? I'll even pay shipping.
    lol when I get a new phone maybe we can work something out.
  13. ExcaliburII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #38  
    The only issue I've had with my 920 to date is the battery life at times...but that is mainly due to hung processes, so more of an OS issue than anything else. Everything else has been running very smooth and very happy with it, I might be picking up a red one next month as Rogers is now making them available so can have a look at the screen at that time. But thanks for the info.
  14. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kj View Post
    Why are you doing it, then? Do you have some kind of mental issues or are you simply masochistic?
    They have spent a lot of money and are frustrated. Good for you if you can afford just another phone in this situation.
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  15. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kj View Post
    So much whining and moaning in this thread... Guys, it is very simple: if you believe Nokia has released an absolutely flawed product - get rid of it and get a different model from different manufacturer, and/or contact Nokia directly and complain about your issues to them. Repeatedly whining on these forums will NOT magically fix your phones, nor will it make Nokia to start recalling all of Lumia 920's tomorrow (most likely Nokia's representatives don't even read any forums except official one). Why are you doing it, then? Do you have some kind of mental issues or are you simply masochistic?
    ?? That's precisely what I plan to do.

    You have a 920 and you like it, good I'm glad it's working out for you. However if you don't like what others have to say about the 920, ignore it. This is an open forum, everyone has a right to their opinion.

    Nokia and most every large company, pays people to read what's written on forums about their products, they'd be fools not to. I've see first hand how much influence internet forums can have on the market I work in every day.
    Last edited by Andyshine77; 01-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.
  16. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kj View Post
    So much whining and moaning in this thread... Guys, it is very simple: if you believe Nokia has released an absolutely flawed product - get rid of it and get a different model from different manufacturer, and/or contact Nokia directly and complain about your issues to them. Repeatedly whining on these forums will NOT magically fix your phones, nor will it make Nokia to start recalling all of Lumia 920's tomorrow (most likely Nokia's representatives don't even read any forums except official one). Why are you doing it, then? Do you have some kind of mental issues or are you simply masochistic?
    Ok. Whining wont make them recall the phones, but I hope it'll make them fire their entire QC departement and get a new one for a change. The phones are clearly defective (even the ones people claim aren't). I used to think that I have a perfect phone with great battery life, until I started to notice that the battery goes from 100% to 55% in less than 1 hour of web browsing. Moreover, the heat issue right above the camera seems to be a common flaw. It isn't just normal heat you get from the processor, the back plate and the screen both get REALLY hot after spending several minutes on the phone, meaning the heat sink is just terrible, improperly installed, or is just damn non existant. So you see sir, whining is important when you face said issues, especially after getting defective replacements too!
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  17. Aldiggi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #42  
    I mean for 99.99 don't you think Nokia skimped somewhere???
  18. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldiggi View Post
    I mean for 99.99 don't you think Nokia skimped somewhere???
    that's a subsidized price.......
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  19. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone killzo View Post
    Ok. Whining wont make them recall the phones, but I hope it'll make them fire their entire QC departement and get a new one for a change. The phones are clearly defective (even the ones people claim aren't). I used to think that I have a perfect phone with great battery life, until I started to notice that the battery goes from 100% to 55% in less than 1 hour of web browsing. Moreover, the heat issue right above the camera seems to be a common flaw. It isn't just normal heat you get from the processor, the back plate and the screen both get REALLY hot after spending several minutes on the phone, meaning the heat sink is just terrible, improperly installed, or is just damn non existant. So you see sir, whining is important when you face said issues, especially after getting defective replacements too!
    No , my phone is not defective, but thanks for pretending to know that ;)
  20. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #45  
    Many of the issues people are posting about on the forums are non issues or issues with software that the poster fails to understand. An example of the former one is the creaking shell, who cares if it makes a little noise if you press it in a specific place? An example of the second is battery drain. Some phones will of course have a defective battery or something else draining it, but many will be just software hanging itself or badly coded apps getting looped processes.

    I have the creaking shell and some dust in my FFC, don't care about it at all since the shell is a non issue and I haven't used my FFC in any phone since they started with FFCs.
  21. Andyshine77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidkoh View Post
    Many of the issues people are posting about on the forums are non issues or issues with software that the poster fails to understand. An example of the former one is the creaking shell, who cares if it makes a little noise if you press it in a specific place? An example of the second is battery drain. Some phones will of course have a defective battery or something else draining it, but many will be just software hanging itself or badly coded apps getting looped processes.

    I have the creaking shell and some dust in my FFC, don't care about it at all since the shell is a non issue and I haven't used my FFC in any phone since they started with FFCs.
    You make some valid points. Nevertheless these issues and others seem to persist.
  22. rbxtreme's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #47  
    I'm totally new to WP8/Nokia and this forum. I come from a hardcore android family and to me windows is a welcome experience. And now about the phone I got a black lumia 920 and been using it for 2 weeks now and the only thing that i noticed was the faint vibration rattle which dint quite bother me as I never use the vibration alert on phone(mostly a personal preference) and though I visited the nokia store to check on the rattle, i also figured that the phone displayed there also had the rattle. I have been looking around for issues mentioned across this forum like dust, loose battery, camera related but found none. Battery does stay with me until the night where in I do use the phone a lot during the day(emails+skpye+cnn+calls). so my experience with this phone has been very exciting and I have been fortunate to have moved off android for good.
    Thanked by:
    Andyshine77 likes this.
  23. liamjanin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #48  
    Ive had my 920 for a month, aside for having to soft reset at least 50 times (no joke) and a couple of hard resets, there have been issues with music playback and to top it off my screen completely died. When apple maps was less than perfect they issued a public apology and fired scott forstall who was in charge of maps (and this is just an app, not even hardware). Getting a new phone is actually a huge pain since most of the data in the apps will be lost when you restore (something that doesn't happen on iOS and android).

    I have yet to see a public apology for the consistent issues with the 920. It's lucky for nokia that their phones are selling in relatively low quantities, If they had the reach that iphones did then replacing them all would bankrupt them when the list of issues hit mainstream media. I still like my lumia and im guessing that the majority of users here are geeky early adopters too who expect to be troubleshooting which is almost part of the fun. I definitely wouldnt recommend this phone to the average user though. It would be nothing but headaches when the phone crashes and and they have to head all the way to a nokia care centre just for a soft reset because they haven't been crawling forums and support pages to find out how themselves(and they shouldn't be expected to).

    Just think back to antenna-gate when the iphone had signal issues when you gripped the outside of the phone. They offered EVERYONE 100% refund, or a bumper case to fix the problem. It wasnt even that big of an issue since there are plenty of iphone 4's around now which seem to be working fine after all the media hype died down. I will still use this phone happily but won't recommend it to anyone until the issues have been fixed.

    p.s. to the guy that got 6 replacements, thats at least a full days work altogether, think how much you would have been paid for that time. Thats how much its cost you!
  24. CaptDjob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    162 Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyshine77 View Post
    Very unlikely that all 920 are defective, that doesn't mean a large % aren't in fact defective. Not every Toyota had accelerator issues, but after some pressure they recalled every car with that system. The only reason they did this was because of safety.
    Yes, they did that because of safety. So?

    Absurd to say "all phones are defective" when most probally <5% are defective. And one reminder what goes for everything "new". If you want a device, car, software or whatever without any problems, buy it after it has been at least 1 year on sale.

    WP8 was completely new, what would you expect from it? Software bugs at least. Battery drains are almost standard when new versions of OS comes. Early updates usually tend to fix those issue. My Lumia 920 reboots and what did I? I wrote my problem here, saw others having similar problems => sent it to customer service. Problem solved. Didn't need to write here that this is POS, when it isn't, there is just some bug that needs to be fixed.

    What comes to Lumia 920 design, yes, there are devices that gather dust on FFC => replace it. If it top part clicks or there are tolerance errors in display/housing => replace it. If your phone drains battery even in battery saving mode => replace it.
  25. kuffcakes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #50  
    This is my second 920. The only issue I had with the first (purchased Dec. 27) was dust and the squeaky screen. The phone didn't reset, over heat, have problems with wireless charging or battery life issues. I've had this second phone for three weeks now and there are no issues with it.

    The box this phone came in had a QC Passed sticker on it. The first did not. I would like to see how phones with this sticker on the box are holding up.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T To Announce Lumia 920 10/04/12??
    By SoloXCRacer in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  3. ZDWeek article: Seven Reasons to Buy Nokia 920
    By Yangstax in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions