4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. kuffcakes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    My first 920 only had the dust and creaking issues. Since I was concerned the creaking/loose screen might become an issue in the future, I exchanged my 920 at an AT&T store. I noticed a QC Passed sticker on the box. The first phone did not have this sticker. My phone also came with Portico already installed.

    It has been 3 weeks since the replacement and there is no dust or creaking, need to soft/hard reset, freezing, over heating, no wireless charging problems (use charging pad nightly), or any other issue people are posting about.

    How many people are issue free/having issues with a 920 that had this sticker?
  2. Sinabu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Mine was the same way. Got my replacement Dec23rd. No lock ups at all even wireless charging and no dust under the FFC. The only thing I did notice that is still present is the differennce in the glass at the top. That is still there but it's not that big of a deal. Everything else is great
  3. tibere86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I have yet to see the sticker and I am on my 2nd replacement for dust in FFC issues. I am reluctant to try another replacement as this phone has zero rattling when vibrating and just feels more solidly built than my previous two phones. Maybe I will try going thru Nokia Care rather than AT&T for my next replacement.
  4. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,514 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    The quality assurance checks are usually made by taking a handful (not literally, but meaning some 5-8, maybe) of boxes from a larger shipping box (that could have several dozen phones). So the sticker probaby does guarantee that it wont have any immediate flaws in the hardware and on a quick test the software worked properly too. The test per phone isnt overly long, so something like battery issues might go unnoticed.

    There's this QA team who's just about only job is to do these random tests on small batches of phone from different cells.
  5. bevmo73's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    My first red 920 from AT&T with QA sticker had a faulty antenna or radio / could not get service - my replacement one (no QA sticker) has been flawless (hardware).
  6. ragingklu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Yeah I think that just means it was one of the few selected to run whatever gauntlet of tests they throw at the phones. Like Coreldan said, the testing probably isn't incredibly intensive, so it's possible defects will still get through.
  7. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    The quality assurance checks are usually made by taking a handful (not literally, but meaning some 5-8, maybe) of boxes from a larger shipping box (that could have several dozen phones). So the sticker probaby does guarantee that it wont have any immediate flaws in the hardware and on a quick test the software worked properly too. The test per phone isnt overly long, so something like battery issues might go unnoticed.

    There's this QA team who's just about only job is to do these random tests on small batches of phone from different cells.
    well said. also every major manufacturer does this kind of QC. there isnt enough time to check every phone. noone would get their phone in a timely manner. this is why you see on every phone forum there are people that have problems with that model. if you have this kind of mindset, you will understand that you have a chance to get a faulty device. so you should just exchange til you get one that isnt faulty. this is also a reason why there's the 30 day exchange window from most retailers.
  8. paddylaz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    My first 920 only had the dust and creaking issues. Since I was concerned the creaking/loose screen might become an issue in the future, I exchanged my 920 at an AT&T store. I noticed a QC Passed sticker on the box. The first phone did not have this sticker. My phone also came with Portico already installed.

    It has been 3 weeks since the replacement and there is no dust or creaking, need to soft/hard reset, freezing, over heating, no wireless charging problems (use charging pad nightly), or any other issue people are posting about.

    How many people are issue free/having issues with a 920 that had this sticker?

    Out of interest, do you or anyone else reading this NOT have THIS on at least one of the four sides of your phone?

    http://discussions.nokia.com/discuss...12-15-1679.jpg

    You need to go to a dark area, put on a dark background/scroll to the top/bottom of the home screen if necessary and angle the phone right. Haven't seen a 920 without it and just wondering if it's a manufacturing problem they can't help or whether I've just seen a couple of lemons. Thanks.
  9. kuffcakes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by paddylaz View Post
    Out of interest, do you or anyone else reading this NOT have THIS on at least one of the four sides of your phone?

    http://discussions.nokia.com/discuss...12-15-1679.jpg

    You need to go to a dark area, put on a dark background/scroll to the top/bottom of the home screen if necessary and angle the phone right. Haven't seen a 920 without it and just wondering if it's a manufacturing problem they can't help or whether I've just seen a couple of lemons. Thanks.
    Just checked this out for you and there is no light leak. I noticed a little light on the bottom left and right sides but that was only from the back arrow and the search button. When those dimmed, the light went away.
    paddylaz and gaurav rana like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Not getting LTE on Rogers Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T network
    By chiron09 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
  2. Samsung ativ 700t is on sale at Amazon
    By Goku1982jason in forum Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM
  3. Amazing speed on AT&T 4g LTE
    By jdriscoll636 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

";