Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Do apps obtain the location of your phone via different methods? I am experiencing a very curious phenomenon that has presented itself within the last few days. Apps vary in where they put my location. With Weather Flow, Amazing Weather HD, and Flixster I am listed as living in Glen Echo, Maryland (l live in Louisiana). The other apps I have that rely on location based stuff put my location as the correct one. This is frustrating and has gone on for the last two days.

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nfletch05 View Post
    Do apps obtain the location of your phone via different methods? I am experiencing a very curious phenomenon that has presented itself within the last few days. Apps vary in where they put my location. With Weather Flow, Amazing Weather HD, and Flixster I am listed as living in Glen Echo, Maryland (l live in Louisiana). The other apps I have that rely on location based stuff put my location as the correct one. This is frustrating and has gone on for the last two days.

I experienced this with 4th and Mayor, a Foursquare app. It was putting my location as being in Bellevue Washington and I'm in SF. I'd open Nokia maps and it would find my location no problem. After exiting and starting the app a few times it registered correctly.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

I have done soft resets and turned location services off, restarted, and then back on again. Strangely, the maps, nokia drive, and location scout work.
    Last edited by nfletch05; 01-24-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I had that issue with my old Samsung Focus. But I just wait a minute and let it figure it out and it would find me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Had the same issue and searched online and that is how I found your issue. The solution I found was tied to Kids Corner. I realized that I started having the issue the moment I activated Kids corner. So I turned Kids Corner off, turned on airplane mode, deleted my current location in Weatherflow, turned off airplane mode and re-add the current location in Weather Flow app. Guess what it? it worked. Now, as crazy as that sounds, I took the steps to cause the issue and then fix it again and sure nough.

Global Posts
    1,171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nfletch05 View Post

Yes, the weather apps you lists only request a rough location based on your network connection and cell towers, not on GPS. Maps and Navigation apps use GPS location which is from GPS hardware. What you experienced is a known issue for WP8 that sometimes it gets the wrong city when only network based location is used.

I have this problem with WeatherMaster app. I have tried restarting it. Even restarting my phone. The only fix was to set the app for me to put my location in manually. Anyone have a fix for this?
    Banned

Mine did this until i reset the phone outside (so gps could lock in)

also, you should have wifi on

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Just a heads up, but early last week (last monday or tuesday) i uninstalled a bunch of apps (mostly geolocation apps) that i really don't use often and disabled the "keep wifi on" setting. My phone hasn't had a freeze/unresponsive/appears-turned-off episode since.... or put me in the middle of that river in Glen Echo

Before it would happen at least every other day or up to twice a day with the freezing, or a few times a week with the Glen Echo thing...

Give it a try unchecking the "keep wifi on..." setting, and/or uninstalling a few location apps

The only apps i have in the background are:
    Amazing Weather HD
    Markets & Me +

and then while i'm driving i'll turn on:
    HERE Drive+ Beta

Or when i'm running:
    Runtastic PRO