Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    parez81 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    wait for an update.
    ryker002 likes this.

I heard there will be a major update in a few months, would this update possibly fix the battery issue? o:

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...ia-920-and-820

"(...) battery management" - Perhaps a bit vague to assume it means something in the terms of "improved battery life". But, we'll see!

Are you on Whatsapp?

5% per hour....I'm sorry but that is just funny....people need to get over their battery %...If you make it through a whole day then your good and lucky most would say.

There is nothing wrong with the battery on all these Lumia 920's, sure some might have it worse then others but there is not magical update that is going to make everyone's battery last 2 full days without charging it.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and ryker002 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethsd View Post
    And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    It sounds a little bit high, just check all settings once again - all what you can see on applications page (just go "settings" - "applications" - "System" - and check all there one by one) ... energy consumption should not exceed 2 % on idle (3G mobile cellular)... but of course, if you are checking your battery level all the time, then it will consume much more than that (a display is one of the biggest energy consumer) and be patient, it needs over a week without any resets, until an energy consumption and battery will be matured (stable) ... and if you have a high energy consumption without any reason, then restart your cp and check the battery level again, as sometimes that battery apps is fooling you (it will give you a correct and higher % after restart) ... hope that it will help you as it is a great phone with a great battery life ... :)

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by sanders2232 View Post
    5% per hour....I'm sorry but that is just funny....people need to get over their battery %...If you make it through a whole day then your good and lucky most would say.

There is nothing wrong with the battery on all these Lumia 920's, sure some might have it worse then others but there is not magical update that is going to make everyone's battery last 2 full days without charging it.
    I've charged all of my smartphones (Symbian/BlackBerry/Windows Phone) every night. It's something I've had to do as long as I've used smartphones. The days of charging only a couple times a week went away when I stopped using feature phones.
    Thanked by:
    sanders2232 likes this.

I do agree with you. It seems people are expecting more high powered devices and longer run times. I don't think it is to much to ask for a whole days usage but I know people who whine because they are not getting the battery usage they had on their iPhone 3gs. They don't take into account dual core processors and bigger screens zap more power. I just think some people are unrealistic. And 5% an hour with avg 40 txt msg I feel is acceptable. That's a good 18hrs between charges.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

A full day of battery life would be fine. However when your phone drains in three to four hours without touching it, there is an issue. Some of the phones seem great, my 920 will last two days with moderate use. My wifes 920 wont last half a day of sitting untouched. Still not sure if it is a hardware vs a software issue, but someone at MS/Nokia/HTC/ etc (namely MS as this seems to be happening across several manuf.) needs to get on top of their quality control.

To be fair, 5% consumption while idling is indeed too high. I can think of two reasons:
    1) Your phone is still too new. You need to use it for longer than just 4 cycles for the battery to really settle down (at least that applies for me, it used to use quite a lot, but now I can easy go 2 days idle, with occasional messaging or calling, bluetooth always on, 3g)
    2) Your cellular reception is poor. Your phone keeps on looking for stronger signals. That occurs at my work place, my phone just gets somewhat warm usually when I am at work. During off days, my phone battery just lasts very long.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I think what's funny is that a lot of people are having issues with battery when their phone is on idle or light usage that loses over 5% and some even turn off some features that would make a smartphone "smart". But thank you for sharing though.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by wjlim3 View Post
    2) Your cellular reception is poor. Your phone keeps on looking for stronger signals. That occurs at my work place, my phone just gets somewhat warm usually when I am at work. During off days, my phone battery just lasts very long.
    This is absolutely true.

This is what I've been thinking as well. I noticed that my signal strength is always moving from 2-4 bars consistently and figured it may cause battery drainage.

This is what I've been thinking as well. I noticed that my signal strength is always moving from 2-4 bars consistently and figured it may cause battery drainage.
    2-4 bars sounds to be OK ... try to set your cellular network to 3G as a maximum mobile network connection speed (in settings), to see does it make any difference ? (I use 3G as a maximum speed for cellular network - I have not a 4G contract, so no point to use 4G setting there) ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jari P View Post
    2-4 bars sounds to be OK ... try to set your cellular network to 3G as a maximum mobile network connection speed (in settings), to see does it make any difference ? (I use 3G as a maximum speed for cellular network - I have not a 4G contract, so no point to use 4G setting there) ....
    Sadly, I have att which only allows 4G/LTE, so I just turn it off most of the time.

"WiFi always on" drained my battery 4-5% an hour in standby. I disabled this function, and I get 1-1.5% per hour (in standby).
    It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by helsten2 View Post
    "WiFi always on" drained my battery 4-5% an hour in standby. I disabled this function, and I get 1-1.5% per hour (in standby).
    Did you try to wi-fi on, but with untick all advanced settings of wi-fi ? ... my idle is around the same, 1,5 % per hour, but I have not so high idle with wi-fi ... but I have disabled all advanced settings of wi-fi - as I feel that there is no need for them ...

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Let me just say, that 25-50 messages per hour is a lot and it is completely understandable, that you may be loosing 5-10% juice.
    it all may depend for example on your screen brightness, if it is medium/high, then completely understandable.

When you write a message, the screen is all the time on and touch screen sensors use up a little bit of juice as well, especially if for example you have high sensitivity turned on.

Having said that, my Lumia 920 after Portico update and hard reset uses 6-7% over night with wifi turned on, 2-4% over night with wifi turned off (no 3g data enabled).

Quote Originally Posted by Jari P View Post
    Did you try to wi-fi on, but with untick all advanced settings of wi-fi ? ... my idle is around the same, 1,5 % per hour, but I have not so high idle with wi-fi ... but I have disabled all advanced settings of wi-fi - as I feel that there is no need for them ...
    Sorry I wasn't clear: I have WiFi enabled, but in Advanced settings I unchecked "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" (all other settings in Advanced are checked). That helped on battery life...
    It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by helsten2 View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear: I have WiFi enabled, but in Advanced settings I unchecked "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" (all other settings in Advanced are checked). That helped on battery life...
    I have ALL advanced wi-fi settings unticked ... to save my battery, as there is not usually any need for these settings ... I am online in internet and in fb 24/7 through my 3G internet, but I need wi-fi only rarely (not all the time and no hotspots usually, mainly wi-fi at my home and at my work) ...

I think most battery problems are app related. I restored my replacement phone and only made one change (installed a battery meter app) which had a profound effect on battery life.

After a few days I started thinking that I might have been sent a duff one. Battery usage BTW was 5%-6% an hour with 3 background tasks, 3 push email accounts, WiFi always on and moderate/heavy use so hardly terrible but not the stellar performance of before.

After uninstalling the specific app everything went back to normal if not better. I now end the day with 65%-70% with the same usage patterns.

I have all the "smart" features enabled except NFC, this needs to be looked at by MS/Nokia, it seems to be a problem as far as battery use is concerned.

Also, when using the phone for navigation I use a car charger, the battery won't last long when GPS is in use but this is to be expected.

It is not a coincidence that all dedicated Sat-Navs are designed to be always plugged in, GPS has a massive power drain.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    My first 920's battery didnt even make it to 10h battery life. I sent it to Nokia and got a new one. This one's battery lasts easily 1,5 days. Maybe even two days.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    doing 50 texts does indeed use alot of battery power. keep in mind that the lumia 920's display "The Lumia 920 has a 114 mm (4.5 inch) curved glass display running at WXGA (1280 768) resolution with an aspect ratio of 15:9 using enhanced IPS screen technology which Nokia calls "PureMotion HD+". It has less than 9 ms average transition times, where conventional IPS LCDs have an average of 23 ms, which reduces motion blur.[10] The screen's backlight luminance reserve, together with a new automatic adaptive system for adjusting brightness, color and contrast details to compensate for lighting". this has a huge affect on battery consumption. this IPS display is basically supercharged with a refresh rate of 60hz. this is why it looks so damn good and moves so fluid. so if you text then put your phone down and leave the screen on letting it turn off on its own, you are further draining your battery because your screen is not in use waiting for the screen timeout to kick in. and depending on howq long you have the timeout set to this can increase battery drain also. the screen is always going to be the biggest battery drain on a smartphone. it's true on my galaxy s3 when looking at the battery manager and it's true on my lumia 920. so constantly turning off your screen 50 times to text and leaving it on after you text while waiting for the screen timeout to kick in does indeed drain your battery 5-10% per hour. this also happens on my galaxy s3 with the amoled display. plus screen brightness also comes into factor. when you take all of this into account, 5-10% battery drain for that many text messages in an hour isnt really that bad. i might do 50 text messages in a day, an hour boggles my mind. hahaha.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

To be fair, 5% consumption while idling is indeed too high. I can think of two reasons:

There is an easy test to see if this has anything to do with the battery drain... turn off wireless for a couple of hours!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast