Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Dinky89484's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Lumia 920's with issues > Lumia 920's without issues? What are your thoughts?
  2. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I would presume by and large the Lumia 920s are without issues. I'm having some very quirky software bugs on my Nokia though, but they seem to be app/OS related as opposed to hardware related.
  3. cme4oil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I would say simply that you always hear about the people having a problem and you don't hear to much from people completely happy with their phone.
  4. Alex Kj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cme4oil View Post
    I would say simply that you always hear about the people having a problem and you don't hear to much from people completely happy with their phone.
    That's true, but going through 4 or more replacement units (like some people here already did) may suggest that Nokia might have an above average amount of overall defective units ;-) Still, though, the amount of non-defective units is most likely higher, judging by the fact that there hasn't been an official "recall" of some sorts.
  5. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,494 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,529 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    you are wrong, lumia 920s without issues is greater than lumia 920s with issues.

    So lumia 920s without issues > lumia 920s with issues.
  6. Dinky89484's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    I think most assume that you only hear from those that have issues (especially on this forum) and you don't hear from those walking around with perfect Lumia 920's. I'm guessing though that there are people out there who aren't too gadget-centric who have issues with their Lumia 920...only we don't hear from them because they're not the types to go online and onto forums.
  7. xsonwong's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Only users have issues will voice out, otherwise keep using their phone happily
  8. killzone killzo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    you are wrong, lumia 920s without issues is greater than lumia 920s with issues.

    So lumia 920s without issues > lumia 920s with issues.

    Actually, you are ALL wrong. The formula is a little more complex:

    Owners who found out that Lumias are defective < owners who still didn't find out.

    The truth is ALL Lumias are defective someway or another.
  9. PBR_248's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone killzo View Post
    Actually, you are ALL wrong. The formula is a little more complex:

    Owners who found out that Lumias are defective < owners who still didn't find out.

    The truth is ALL Lumias are defective someway or another.


    Oh and of course, you've traveled the world and tested ALL Lumias, 920,900,820,710,620,ect.

    Dont make statements unless you can back it up
    SlightlyDum, MarcXW and Joshoon like this.
  10. GhostITMG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Wrooooong. My Lumia 920 has zero issues. On occasion, I install an app that causes battery issues, but it's always the app. Everything about my phone itself is flawless. No creaking at the top, no overheating, no random restarts, no dust behind the front facing camera and everything about the phone works exactly like it should. And I consider myself to be very technically enhanced, so I'm certain there's not some issue that I'm just not aware of.

    Thanks for playing though!
    MarcXW likes this.
  11. pewpewbangbang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    This is how it really is.

    Most if not all issues are software related. Soft daytime photo's, some battery drain issues, software brick, etc....

    I have yet to see some real hardware problems like LCD leakage, battery blowing up, etc...

    But there are always going to be some hardware problems. From what I can tell, the number of defective Lumia 920 units is very low meaning very good quality control on Nokia's part.

    People that have issues usually look to find out by googling and going on a forum like this, so you only really hear about the problems, which is really a tiny portion of Lumia 920 owners. And even then, almost all of them are software related.

    I'm going to be a lumia 920 owner soon to try it out, I've had a ton of phones already. The Galaxy Nexus definitely had some real defective quality control issues with the AMOLED display, it was all over XDA forums etc...One X had some defective units, especially with the battery and just overall quality it was pretty big on the XDA forums as well. I'll just say from my readings/research, the Lumia 920 doesn't even compare or make the tiniest of scratches to the issues those two above phones had or most flagships.
  12. rbxtreme's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Just a very small addition to your theory... All phones are defective in their own ways. We then learn to live with the problems.
    I have a Lumia 920 black for about 2 weeks and I have been lucky about getting a Lumia without issues and have mentioned it across the forums but only for the vibration rattle. But then having used smartphones for the last 5 years or so I have realized that majority of us are always smarter than these phones hence we find issues with them(which is good) but then the hard fact is these phones are again built by normal people (not super humans) so we need to accept that there could be issues(I'm not talking of serious issues like a dead on arrival phone). Life is never problem free, so live with it.
    St_Deborah likes this.
  13. TryllZ's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I work at a Service Center for all devices, but I dont see too many Lumia, yes there are dead Lumias but there are more iphones & dead samsungs in our drawers, than Lumias....I dont think it is because iphones & S3 sell more...
  14. autumnride's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbxtreme View Post
    Just a very small addition to your theory... All phones are defective in their own ways. We then learn to live with the problems.
    I have a Lumia 920 black for about 2 weeks and I have been lucky about getting a Lumia without issues and have mentioned it across the forums but only for the vibration rattle. But then having used smartphones for the last 5 years or so I have realized that majority of us are always smarter than these phones hence we find issues with them(which is good) but then the hard fact is these phones are again built by normal people (not super humans) so we need to accept that there could be issues(I'm not talking of serious issues like a dead on arrival phone). Life is never problem free, so live with it.
    Nope... Buying a flagship phone, you can expect having a perfectly working phone!
  15. PBR_248's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnride View Post
    Nope... Buying a flagship phone, you can expect having a perfectly working phone!
    Just because its working, doesnt mean it doesn't have problems
  16. yodies's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    My only niggle so far with the phone is that it won't read SMS text messages when I'm playing music or a podcast over Bluetooth. It was a feature I really loved about my old WP7 device that just doesn't work with the 920 in the same car as the DVP.
  17. pdskep's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    My only niggle so far with the phone is that it won't read SMS text messages when I'm playing music or a podcast over Bluetooth. It was a feature I really loved about my old WP7 device that just doesn't work with the 920 in the same car as the DVP.
    Mine either, but I think that's a software issue. It appears from the Bluetooth section of this forum MS is losing a lot of business because of their BT connectivity issues. Fortunately I don't drive a lot so I can live with it.
    yodies likes this.
  18. DTSDude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pewpewbangbang View Post
    This is how it really is.

    Most if not all issues are software related. Soft daytime photo's, some battery drain issues, software brick, etc....

    I have yet to see some real hardware problems like LCD leakage, battery blowing up, etc...

    But there are always going to be some hardware problems. From what I can tell, the number of defective Lumia 920 units is very low meaning very good quality control on Nokia's part.

    People that have issues usually look to find out by googling and going on a forum like this, so you only really hear about the problems, which is really a tiny portion of Lumia 920 owners. And even then, almost all of them are software related.

    I'm going to be a lumia 920 owner soon to try it out, I've had a ton of phones already. The Galaxy Nexus definitely had some real defective quality control issues with the AMOLED display, it was all over XDA forums etc...One X had some defective units, especially with the battery and just overall quality it was pretty big on the XDA forums as well. I'll just say from my readings/research, the Lumia 920 doesn't even compare or make the tiniest of scratches to the issues those two above phones had or most flagships.
    Disagree, if there was a mem test app for these phones I think we'd be able to prove the people with the constant freeze/reboot issues have physically defective units. I was one of those people, I've replaced my handset and am doing everything and more of what I had on the old phone without any problems. For other issues like battery I agree there's most likely just a firmware fix required.
  19. rbxtreme's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnride View Post
    Nope... Buying a flagship phone, you can expect having a perfectly working phone!
    I'm not saying that every flagship is,faulty or fault free, But only that if you look around at smartphones (I'm narrowing my point to only smartphones) can you point out one flagship which was fault free... About the phone perfectly working that's what any phone is supposed to do... That's what we pay for... But then some way or the other these phones tend to slip expectations.For eg I never never in my life used the vibration alert on any phone... But after two weeks of using L920 I read about the vibration rattle.. I check my phone ... Ohhh I have it. If I said this lacks perfection and went for a replacement, in a week I'll learn that the battery gives up on me terribly.. Now replacement again this time my camera has green spots.... Gosh another replacement....so what do I do... I should have disabled the vibration and moved with my life....and if I never read the issues on the forums .... My ignorance would have also agreed to my phone being perfect... So in case you got a perfect phone I'm very happy for you.... But I'm like every other person who loves their L920 through its UPS and downs....
    Last edited by rbxtreme; 01-28-2013 at 11:18 AM.
  20. slysy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    352 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    There is a ten page thread about proximity sensor issues on the Nokia forums. So this issue at least seems fairly widespread
  21. Dinky89484's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by slysy View Post
    There is a ten page thread about proximity sensor issues on the Nokia forums. So this issue at least seems fairly widespread
    I wonder if the whole bricking issue when performing a hard reset is a widespread issue because I bet MOST Lumia 920 users don't perform hard resets to know.
  22. Raghu Gundlapalli's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    My Old Lumia 920 used to just shutdown some times, i had to do a soft reset to switch on my phone, surprisingly in the night when i am charging not using it, Drive + Beta was having issues too, just used to get struck, some times doesn't show my location, it used to get warm when i am charging, i did a warranty exchange, i had new lumia 920 for over 3 weeks now & no issues what so ever. unfortunately i did a warranty exchange with in 30 days i still got a refurbished phone. So YES some phones do have quality issues, but if they are working fine they are great phones. Still not thrilled with still photos though cant take sharp photos, great videos for sure.
  23. kcovert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Mine has been mostly trouble free, on rare occasions I've had to do a hard reset but believe apps caused them. Might want to take note of the last app you ran, or are still running, when and if a problems pops up.
  24. pewpewbangbang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    I just got a Lumia 920 to test out.

    Seems problem free so far. WIll make it my daily driver for a bit when the nano-sim adapter delivers.

    What exactly is the vibration rattle? I guess I feel like this unit may have it but honestly, just feels like vibration to me.
  25. Dinky89484's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by kcovert View Post
    Mine has been mostly trouble free, on rare occasions I've had to do a hard reset but believe apps caused them. Might want to take note of the last app you ran, or are still running, when and if a problems pops up.
    Did you perform an actual HARD reset or just a soft reset (volume down + power button)? If so, you can check off another known Lumia 920 issue off your list. Many have had their phones frozen up (or bricked) after performing a hard reset.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile: Lumia 810 vs HTC 8X vs Lumia 920 (Unlocked)
    By Mystictrust in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
  2. Issue with Rogers unlocked Lumia 920
    By djncanada1 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 04:08 AM
  3. Racing around with the Nokia Lumia 920
    By riffraffy in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
  4. New lumia 920 owner with new user questions
    By richard451 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  5. iPhone 5 vs Lumia 920 camera test: OIS FTW
    By Mitlov in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions