How do you know if your Lumia 920s Debranded?

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!
Just a quick question that may seem a little stupid but I don't know the answer hence posting this thread.
I got the Lumia 920 when it first came out in the UK. I got it from T-Mobile which is now EE. The problem is I don't know whether my phone is debranded?

The phone doesn't have any T-Mobile apps already installed, but you can download them I think from sim services in the settings menu. It doesn't have no T-Mobile welcome start-screen like it does on other phones, and also doesn't have any T-Mobile branding on the device itself. The phone did come with ear phones too. (I heard that branded devices don't include earphones).

Please can somebody enlighten me.:smile:

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Your phone is most likely "branded" in that sense that it has carrier specific firmware. You can check this in the 'settings / system / about' page. Third line down against carrier it will show what software variant you have - I suspect EE. Unbranded phones have a CV GB SW Variant; but officially these are not (yet) available in the UK unless you flashed it yourself.

However, unlike other branded phones where operators tend to add their own startup logo or install some apps; this doesn't seem to be the case with the EE phones. So not much branding in this case. Currently, the only difference is a few of the options in settings. Obviously, I guess they can always change this with future updates.

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!
Yes you're right it says EE.
Just out of curiosity what's the advantages of having a debranded device? And also, I'm thinking of getting the phone unlocked. If I put in a new sim from lets say O2 will that mean that I won't receive anymore updates for my device because it's on EE firmware?

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
What are the advantages of having a debranded device? If I put in a new sim from lets say O2 will that mean that I won't receive anymore updates for my device because it's on EE firmware? Or will I still receive them? Navifirm is soon to shutdown so want to do it now if I have to.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
You will still get updates, they are targeted based on the firmware on your device not what sim you are using. The advantage of having an unbranded device is that updates don't need to be approved by the operator, which means they cannot block updates. However at the moment it seems branded devices are getting better update support than unbranded ones.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You will still get updates, they are targeted based on the firmware on your device not what sim you are using. The advantage of having an unbranded device is that updates don't need to be approved by the operator, which means they cannot block updates. However at the moment it seems branded devices are getting better update support than unbranded ones.

What he said. I have an unbranded CV_GB 920 but haven't received Portico yet. However, EE branded phones have started to receive the update. So it would seem there isn't much of an advantage to having an unbranded 920.

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
So if I do flash the 'debranded' UK firmware onto the phone I will receive all updates as of when other debranded devices get the updates forever? So it's like I have a debranded device?

percy percy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this old thread but the opening poster seems to have a similar problem as I do.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and have been looking to get a 930. There's one that looks good on ebay (can't post a link, this is only my 4th post) but it says it's locked to the EE network. Now, I have a T Mobile SIM card and that is now owned by EE, right? And there is an EE H symbol near the top when I go to my notification centre.

So, I figure I'll be OK but, just to check, I go to the About screen through Settings. Next to Carrier it doesn't say EE, it says CV GB. This is confusing. The Ebay pictures of the phone has "Carrier: EE" on its About screen. Do I need it to say Carrier: EE instead of CV GB for this phone to work with my T Mobile/EE SIM?

And one other thing. the 920 has a micro sim, whilst the 930 has a nano sim. Is it an easy change to make?

Many thanks.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
CV means Country Variant, it's unlocked for use on any compatible carrier worldwide.

Micro to Nano SIM is no trouble if you have sharp scissors. Going the other way you need an adapter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans