Noob considering Nokia 920....concerns, questions.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I am sure this is the 1000 post on the topic, but right now I have a note 2, I came to android after having all the iphones up to 4s, got bored and wanted to move on to something different. I just got new laptop with windows 8, mostly for school, I really like the 920 when using it in the store, but a few quick questions....You can not change the keyboard can you? How is it? I am sure I would just need to get used to it! Does it have that heptic feedback when you text? Also, I have a mac, an older mac, and all my music is on there or an external drive, is it hard to get music on the phone?? With droids it sucks! Is I.E. the best browser? I love the camera on the 920, I guess I am looking for "hidden" features I am not reading or seeing in the reviews. I love the screen!! Seems tough enough not even to bother with a screen protector. Anyways, any input would be appreciated! I am not a big game guy, I know it has words with friends and a few others I use. I really only use Amazon mp3 app to get music, any word if amazon or itunes will ever put out an app on here?
Thanks and again my apologizes for the noob questions!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The only way to alter the keyboard look is by changing your theme color and I don't believe you can enable heptic feedback for the keyboard (although I've never thought to look and didn't see it in the obvious areas it would be).

Getting music on the phone is a breeze on Win8... Not sure about from a Mac. There is a music app that will transfer music for you, but I believe you can also drag and drop music with the file explorer (haven't tried it, but the directory showed up when you plug it in as a USB drive.

GPS seems to work fine, although I don't think I've ever used it while driving.

Overall im very happy with my 920! Sorry I'm not more help with your questions 😐 I'm sure some other users will chime in with some more solid answers.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
About music and Mac, check this -> Windows Phone app for Mac | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)

The Nokia Map/Drive app is excellent, and quite notorious for being quite of a 'GPS-killer'.

I.E. is [the best and] the browser that is default. There is one more "3D"-browser -> 3D super browser SurfCube updated to fully support Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

I'd go for I.E., though, as it integrates pretty well with the phone and the OS.

It is advised to use some kind of cover or protective film on the glass. Gorilla glass is "scratch resistant", but not unbreakable and may catch some scratches here and there. There is an entire
thread on this subject that you may find useful. -> http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/214086-gorilla-glass.html

Hope this helped! And, I do encourage you join the force! I jumped from Android to WP7, now to WP8 and I am not looking back at all!

Welcome!

(EDIT: Typos)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
#1...use the Enter key...it really, really helps! haha

You can not change the keyboard can you? How is it? I am sure I would just need to get used to it! Does it have that heptic feedback when you text?

What is heptic? I can't find anything about that...?

The keyboard is fine. The predictive typing is pretty beneficial. It didn't take long at all until it learned my address (Just type in the street number and it pops up the rest, haha). For most shorter words it is easier just typing them out.

Also, I have a mac, an older mac, and all my music is on there or an external drive, is it hard to get music on the phone?? With droids it sucks!

Music is VERY straight forward...just sync a couple of play lists and boom...there you go.

Is I.E. the best browser?

IE Works fine. I haven't really had any issues with something that it will not run. I do wish there was more interaction with the Phone to PC though...such that a view on the phone would pop up as a recent on the computer (like Chrome).

I love the screen!! Seems tough enough not even to bother with a screen protector. Anyways, any input would be appreciated! I am not a big game guy, I know it has words with friends and a few others I use.

Camera is great...the only hidden feature will be some sort of 3rd party lens. The camera has been reviewed to **** and back...there won't be a hidden feature. Also, the screen is crazy slick. it helps prevent scratches and helps with swiping around on it too. The games are hit or miss...but being able to play games that show on your gamertag is pretty sweet if you had an Xbox.

I really only use Amazon mp3 app to get music, any word if amazon or itunes will ever put out an app on here?

i think there IS an Amazon app...not sure...but you don't need iTunes on the phone. You use iTunes on the PC to get the music onto the phone, and from there it all plays through the music hub.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Awesome thanks for the info guys!! Btw, heptic feedback, I think that is what its called, is when it vibrates a little when you press a key when texting or e-mailing.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure you can alter their. Haptic feedback, because I am sure I turned it off. However, I have just had a look through the settings and it has gone! Or I just can't find it.

Be careful though, it is a Nordic phone and some Lumias appear to contain a vibrate function developed by he god of thunder. My first phone had a very powerful one, it didn't rattle or appear to work incorrectly, but it was very powerful. The new Lumia I got has a wonderful vibration motor, feels perfect.

Last edited:

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Be careful though, it is a Scandinavian phone and some Lumias appear to contain a vibrate function developed by he god of thunder..

Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but a part of the Nordic countries. And Thor is from Norse mythology (Norway). Don't mean to get off-topic or start something ugly here. Just sayin'

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah ha thanks for everything guys! I love how the thread went from just the basics of the phone to Thor! Well played lol. I just ordered one! Very excited! Thank you!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah ha thanks for everything guys! I love how the thread went from just the basics of the phone to Thor! Well played lol. I just ordered one! Very excited! Thank you!

Sorry... I frequently drift off topic, and I would have got away with it to if it wasn't for you meddling kids, and phono debunking my reapportioning of the European land mass. To be fair if he had not stopped me I would have carved the lot up and moved bits all over the show.

I hope you enjoy your phone, I love mine. Took some video of my kids sledging recently. That image stabilisation thing works a treat. I was gonna post the video as I was so impressed with it. I was actually running with the phone in one hand, came out very well considering.

Not tried the camera since the latest update, but the stills did need a little sharpening. Nokia Drive has also help me loads, real pleased with that app.

I would invest in a decent screen protector and a Nokia 1043 soft case as the phone is like Teflon. And I have just bought a jack plug bung, to keep the dust out of the front camera. Having a couple of issues with the phone thinking the bung is a headset though... Working on it.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well since it seems like you already ordered, I will start out with a hearty: WELCOME!!! :) And welcome to WPCentral!

I too was with the iphone for awhile all the way to the 4s and I got a bit bored. I didn't go to android though, I came right to WP. The Lumia 920 is my first windows device.

To address your concerns however (even though they already seem to have been addressed). The keyboard is actually pretty awesome on this phone. I can't say since I've never used an android personally, and only friend's, but it's better than the iphones. The guessing it does for what words I want to do was really inaccurate at first, but after a week or so (I text a lot so this time may vary) it could very easily guess what I wanted to say and I can get a few words out without even typing them. I only once was able to type out a whole sentence using the word suggestion based off the first word.. :p

You can also voice text, similar to Siri. However, you cannot add punctuation... But it will add it for you at the end of each sentence and will even add question marks where appropriate so if you want to do sentence by sentence that works, though kind of annoying.

I don't have any music on my phone. So I cannot really help you here. However I do know that there is a windows phone sync program for Mac (which I think was linked in an above post). But also dragging-and-dropping should work for music. Worked for my pictures :) (yay awesome camera!!)

IE is the default browser and is pretty well integrated in the OS. It does have some things that get a bit "annoying"... When you close the browser, it doesn't close any of your tabs so you pretty much have to do that manually which isn't bad when you realize the 2 seconds it takes to do it. Also, there is no forward button... Keep in mind there is technically no back button in the browser as the entire phone is one giant "history" log including the sites so the phone's back button is used for everything (took me a day or 2 to get the hang of that coming from the iphone where everything was segregated). IE10 does not support flash. And some sites wont "work" on mobile mode and will require the browser to be in desktop mode. A quick settings change really if you happen across a site. Most of the web is moving away from Flash and even android wants to stop supporting it so im not overly concerned here.

Camera.... oh the camera... I love this thing... great pictures and a beautiful screen. The screen is so amazing. It's bright and clear and crisp. I do not have a screen protector on it and I have 1 slight scratch (nothing major, need to kind of move the phone under the light to see it) and I think it came from my jeans having one of those little outward button clicker things on the outside.... idk... but I don't feel like I really need one much. Not much is "hidden" for the camera... except you can't zoom.. or I haven't found out how... which I find odd.. but they probably don't want you ruining the picture quality when zoomed in. Image stabilization is awesome. You can download "lenses" which do some cool things. Like smart shoot that takes 5 pictures at once and you can interchange them to make 1 great photo (STOP BLINKING PEOPLE!! :) )

overall for apps.. get used to being on the backburner for the "latest and greatest". A lot of iphone games use free software like unity or UDK that will just port the game for them. And these engines don't support WP8 yet, though they have said it's coming "soon". Some programs like adobe air will publish your flash games to iphone code. So a lot of devs can't really port WP8 until the tools they use support it. Unless they wrote it themselves then they just need to move some code from obj-c to C#. there are most of the big ones though. words with friends, draw something, etc... There are also "knock offs" which sometimes turn out better... No temple run yet (though as soon as unity supports it, temple run will be a click a way from being ported to WP8... more or less...) but we have ragdoll run... which is a different, though similar concept of distance and obstacles.. kind of a fun game though... plus the xbox integration.. if you have a gold live account, you can chat with your xbox friends from your phone.

overall the phone is great. It needs some things here and there but other than that, I love it. But obviously all phones need something to make them better or you wouldn't be looking to switch from iphone and android :p Live tiles are actually really cool too..

Again welcome and remember, if you have any questions, feel free to ask anytime. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb