- 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM #1
So, heres one reason that Ive now confirmed causes live tiles to stop working. It may help you as well
- For a long time, my live tiles would work at times and not work at other times (or so it seemed)
- This past Wednesday, I decided to do a hard reset (Settings ->About->Reset your phone)
- Once I did that and fortunately did not brick my phone, my Live tiles worked perfectly
- Just yesterday though, after I switched off my Bluetooth after my drive from work, my phone would not turn on
- I did a soft reset (Volume Down +Power) and the phone was back on
- Now, however, my weather live tiles (which are supposed to refresh every hour) stopped working
- I waited a couple of hours and did not see any of my live tiles updating. So I decided to do a normal reboot (power button followed by sliding the screen down)
- After about 1 hour, my live tiles were updating again
- So, my hypothesis at this point was that any time you do a soft refresh, live tiles will stop working until you do a normal reboot
- To prove this theory, I did another soft reset and left the phone overnight expecting that the live tiles will not update. And I was RIGHT
- So, I did a normal reboot again and as expected within an hour, live tiles were working again and have been working ever since.
If you have done a soft refresh (Volume Down + Power), chances are that your live tiles will not update. Do a normal reboot (power button) and you will likely have live tiles working again
So why werent my live tiles working before I decided to do a hard reset
Thats because I was being overcautious and doing a soft refresh after every charge cycle just before I unplugged the charger. It was obviously not required, but I did it anyway. Now, that explains why my live tiles never worked before. It also tells me that I probably did not need to do a hard reset at all.
Try this and hopefully if you are having issues with live tiles, this will solve it for you as well.
I have some images that I have attached. My picture editing skills are not very good as you can tell :)
- 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM #8
This may work for some but not others like myself. Case in point, Weather Flow just to name one at this point. I've tried all their recommendations if the live tile does not update and nothing has helped as of yet. It's set to update every hour but has not yet worked once, it only updates when I open the app. I've tried rebooting my phone several times and just now I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the app so we'll see if this helps.
Just to highlight, rebooting my phone has done nothing for my live tile issue:(
- 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM #9
Thanks for sharing this. My live tiles stopped updating this morning and I did do a soft reset last night (WWF locks up my 920 at times). Hopefully this fixes it, will update once I give it a hour or so.
EDIT....Thanks again...tiles are now updating.
Last edited by Kieta; 01-31-2013 at 01:51 PM.
- 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM #10
Thanks for sharing. Will bare this in mind. I also experience weird issues in respect of looking at the "background tasks" in settings. I can look at them and have x amount listed as allowed. Install an app, and then one has disappeared but appears in advanced! Why move? Also have apps (met office) which I've now sacked off as refused to ever work. Background task permanently reads "blocked" and even though ticked about starting on next open, never does!!
Quite frankly this background task settings screen appears random at best and somewhat unreliable :(
Finally if I may. Facebook app refuses to update tile for Facebook messages, but sometimes updates for other events.
Might try a hard reset since never done and see if anything improves. Or just wait for the WP8 update. Its slow reaching me. Bought handset simfree from carphone warehouse and use giffgaff sim.
- 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM #11
....also can I ask? How many "allowed" apps you all have running in this screen? Don't use but weather flow states issues with more than 6 so recommends blocking others! What is that about? 6 really??? What about those not editable in the advanced section. This puzzels me. Anyone else have thoughts or understand?
- 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM #14
- 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM #16
As a test I installed Weather Flow and Amazing Weather HD. Have both apps running with tiles and they are updating fine! Doing this put total "allowed" apps to 9, and all seem to be working fine. Obviously others which can't be "blocked" also appear to be OK. Seems strange weather flow say something about 6, since that's surely just ones you can change, always more happening!
Any way following these I grabbed Met Office again. The tile never updates and the background task itself goes from "allowed" to "blocked" and never can be made "allowed", regardless of the option to restart when opening. Looking at reviews however I'm not alone and putting this down as a development issue! Until fixed I'm removing it.
02-07-2013, 04:02 AM #17
- 27 Posts
This method doesn't work for me. Live tiles refuse to update, even if it does, it updates unreliably. Extremely disappointed, was having a great, stable OS with WP7 but WP8 seems to break certain functions that used to be stable (while giving very little extra stability in other areas as well).
- 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM #18
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
- 02-09-2013, 08:20 AM #20
I have followed the suggestions here and in other forums, but nothing is fixing my broken live tiles on my AT&T 8X. They worked fine until about a week ago. Now looks like I am heading for a hard reset, and not happy.
- 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM #24
I've had this happen to me a few times and have always managed to get it fixed without doing a hard reset. I wrote up a little how-to here.
It always seems to happen after I have to do a forced reboot (volume down + power).
- By kingcartwright in forum HTC 8XReplies: 6Last Post: 08-27-2014, 05:03 PM
- By i s a b e l l a in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
- By toyotast165 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM
- By Musicjunkie0210 in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 1Last Post: 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
- By MichaelBanning in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 15Last Post: 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM