If your Live tiles are not working, this might help

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So, here?s one reason that I?ve now confirmed causes live tiles to stop working. It may help you as well

Background

1. For a long time, my live tiles would work at times and not work at other times (or so it seemed)
  2. This past Wednesday, I decided to do a hard reset (Settings ->About->Reset your phone)
  3. Once I did that and fortunately did not brick my phone, my Live tiles worked perfectly
  4. Just yesterday though, after I switched off my Bluetooth after my drive from work, my phone would not turn on
  5. I did a soft reset (Volume Down +Power) and the phone was back on
  6. Now, however, my weather live tiles (which are supposed to refresh every hour) stopped working
  7. I waited a couple of hours and did not see any of my live tiles updating. So I decided to do a normal reboot (power button followed by sliding the screen down)
  8. After about 1 hour, my live tiles were updating again
  9. So, my hypothesis at this point was that any time you do a soft refresh, live tiles will stop working until you do a normal reboot
  10. To prove this theory, I did another soft reset and left the phone overnight expecting that the live tiles will not update. And I was RIGHT
  11. So, I did a normal reboot again and as expected within an hour, live tiles were working again and have been working ever since.

Conclusion
If you have done a soft refresh (Volume Down + Power), chances are that your live tiles will not update. Do a normal reboot (power button) and you will likely have live tiles working again

So why weren?t my live tiles working before I decided to do a hard reset
That?s because I was being overcautious and doing a soft refresh after every charge cycle just before I unplugged the charger. It was obviously not required, but I did it anyway. Now, that explains why my live tiles never worked before. It also tells me that I probably did not need to do a hard reset at all.

Try this and hopefully if you are having issues with live tiles, this will solve it for you as well.

I have some images that I have attached. My picture editing skills are not very good as you can tell :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 14

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me, I would always try soft resetting to try and get them to work, which low and behold was just making it worse!

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This may work for some but not others like myself. Case in point, Weather Flow just to name one at this point. I've tried all their recommendations if the live tile does not update and nothing has helped as of yet. It's set to update every hour but has not yet worked once, it only updates when I open the app. I've tried rebooting my phone several times and just now I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the app so we'll see if this helps.

Just to highlight, rebooting my phone has done nothing for my live tile issue:(

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this. My live tiles stopped updating this morning and I did do a soft reset last night (WWF locks up my 920 at times). Hopefully this fixes it, will update once I give it a hour or so.

EDIT....Thanks again...tiles are now updating.

Last edited:

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Will bare this in mind. I also experience weird issues in respect of looking at the "background tasks" in settings. I can look at them and have x amount listed as allowed. Install an app, and then one has disappeared but appears in advanced! Why move? Also have apps (met office) which I've now sacked off as refused to ever work. Background task permanently reads "blocked" and even though ticked about starting on next open, never does!!
Quite frankly this background task settings screen appears random at best and somewhat unreliable :(
Finally if I may. Facebook app refuses to update tile for Facebook messages, but sometimes updates for other events.
Might try a hard reset since never done and see if anything improves. Or just wait for the WP8 update. Its slow reaching me. Bought handset simfree from carphone warehouse and use giffgaff sim.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
....also can I ask? How many "allowed" apps you all have running in this screen? Don't use but weather flow states issues with more than 6 so recommends blocking others! What is that about? 6 really??? What about those not editable in the advanced section. This puzzels me. Anyone else have thoughts or understand?

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Some individual apps can have trouble updating and that can be caused by a different issue. But it looks like a soft reset freezes all live tile updates which can be fixed by don't another normal reboot.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
....also can I ask? How many "allowed" apps you all have running in this screen? Don't use but weather flow states issues with more than 6 so recommends blocking others! What is that about? 6 really??? What about those not editable in the advanced section. This puzzels me. Anyone else have thoughts or understand?
I have exactly six that are listed as allowed in the background. I haven't got any that I have blocked. If however, I go to the advanced, under background tasks, its a lot more than 6 apps.
I will try and enable a seventh one and report if all are still working

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This may work for some but not others like myself. Case in point, Weather Flow just to name one at this point. I've tried all their recommendations if the live tile does not update and nothing has helped as of yet. It's set to update every hour but has not yet worked once, it only updates when I open the app. I've tried rebooting my phone several times and just now I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the app so we'll see if this helps.

Just to highlight, rebooting my phone has done nothing for my live tile issue:(

I can't get Weather Flow to work either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
As a test I installed Weather Flow and Amazing Weather HD. Have both apps running with tiles and they are updating fine! Doing this put total "allowed" apps to 9, and all seem to be working fine. Obviously others which can't be "blocked" also appear to be OK. Seems strange weather flow say something about 6, since that's surely just ones you can change, always more happening!
Any way following these I grabbed Met Office again. The tile never updates and the background task itself goes from "allowed" to "blocked" and never can be made "allowed", regardless of the option to restart when opening. Looking at reviews however I'm not alone and putting this down as a development issue! Until fixed I'm removing it.

xcen

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This method doesn't work for me. Live tiles refuse to update, even if it does, it updates unreliably. Extremely disappointed, was having a great, stable OS with WP7 but WP8 seems to break certain functions that used to be stable (while giving very little extra stability in other areas as well).

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This method doesn't work for me. Live tiles refuse to update, even if it does, it updates unreliably. Extremely disappointed, was having a great, stable OS with WP7 but WP8 seems to break certain functions that used to be stable (while giving very little extra stability in other areas as well).

I don't know for sure but it almost seems like wp8 is a complete rework of the os. Like they threw out all of wp7 and started over from scratch. If this is the case then they wrote a whole new os in a very short time compared to wp7. Hence why some things have appeared to taken a step backwards and some compatibility issues between wp7 apps and wp8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have followed the suggestions here and in other forums, but nothing is fixing my broken live tiles on my AT&T 8X. They worked fine until about a week ago. Now looks like I am heading for a hard reset, and not happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3