Lumia 920 Charger: car & wired?

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just switched from Samsung Focus to Lumia 920. I have a lot of micro usb chargers (Samsung & generic) at the office, bedroom, living room..and i was wondering if there is any risk risk of using these chargers with my Lumia? I mean...can it have a negative impact over the battery life/performance? My old Samsung charger is rated Output= 5v. 0.7A. Also, does the micro USB type of cable as any impact over charging? I know that ..with some micro USB cables, Win 7 wont recognize the phone when plugged in.

Same type of question, for the car charge: i have a generic one, there is not even a sign of output Amps or voltage, any risk of using it? if yes..what should I look for when buying a new one?

thank you,

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the risks of affecting the battery life, though it there has been cases of that. A friend of mine destroyed his battery after buying a generic USB charger.
See if Nokia has any official chargers available.

On the other hand, your phone may not pick up any signal from the USB-charger. There are two or three other threads, right now, on this issue already.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the Nokia charger is rated at 1A output, give or take. Its bad to go higher than what comes with it, as general rule. Also, with Nokia, it seems that if you don't use same rating as theirs, it doesn't seem to get to full charge. It may say it is full, but mine doesn't seem to last as long as when I use Nokia chargers, USB or wireless. .7A output won't hurt battery, but it may not reach its full potential with it either. Especially when you first get device and battery needs to be conditioned. Also, with generic chargers, the touch screen won't always work while its plugged in. Should be ok with that charger, but its always recommended to go with manufactures charger.

Also, with car chargers. Don't use them if you don't absolutely have to. They are rated much higher output usually for a quick charge. Battery gets much hotter and it will shorten the life of you battery. I don't care what anybody else says, it will shorten your battery life.

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, with car chargers. Don't use them if you don't absolutely have to. They are rated much higher output usually for a quick charge. Battery gets much hotter and it will shorten the life of you battery. I don't care what anybody else says, it will shorten your battery life.

Are any Nokia car chargers? Looked on ebay..cand couldnt find much. Also..I travel quite often, and its impossible to user Drive+, without charging while driving..

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Found this online, Nokia DC-17: Nokia DC-17 1A Micro USB Car Charger - Original OEM

Nokia reccomands DC-20, but i find it a little bit too expensive, over 30$ or so.

Couldn't find a difference between the two, any ideas if this is "safe" to use?

I think the difference between the two is that the DC-20 has 2 x 1A ports and the cable is not fixed (i.e. you can use your own cable, see below why that may matter).

You will find that a 1A charger won't keep up with the drain caused by Nokia Drive and a fast charger is required.

I use this: Fast car charger with cables and clips - Accessories - TomTom

I have also read in another thread here that the type of cable used matters (charge only vs data/charge cables).

bevmo73

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The nokia 920 usb charger in the AT&T US box says 5v 1.3A FYI. I've tried my Kindle tablet charger (1.8A 9W?) and I'm not convinced the charger or phone are that happy with it as there is some buzzing... Lower amps seem fine, older charges, Laptop USB charging, and I'm not sure about what the wireless charger is rated at (that's the one I use the most and like the most). I'm waiting for some good wireless car charger and holder options.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The nokia 920 usb charger in the AT&T US box says 5v 1.3A FYI. I've tried my Kindle tablet charger (1.8A 9W?) and I'm not convinced the charger or phone are that happy with it as there is some buzzing... Lower amps seem fine, older charges, Laptop USB charging, and I'm not sure about what the wireless charger is rated at (that's the one I use the most and like the most). I'm waiting for some good wireless car charger and holder options.

The wireless charger has an output of 0.75A if I am not mistaken and the USB Charger (AC-16) 1A, hence charging with the wireless charger is slower (duh).

As far as I am concerned, if you use a good quality charger then there is nothing to worry about, I use my phone as my main navigation device and it is plugged in all the time while in the car (otherwise it just drains like crazy).

The specific charger keeps up with the drain and also manages to top up a bit when not using BT. With BT on it just keeps the drain in check which frankly is all I need it for.

There is nothing worse than arriving to a meeting with a dead phone in your pocket.

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Are those fast chargers , 2A ..safe for the phone & battery?

How long have you been using it Evan_ISS? not changes in battery life ?..i remember i used a few times the GPS charger with my BB, they had the same plug...and after that, the battery on BB became significantly weaker -

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are those fast chargers , 2A ..safe for the phone & battery?

How long have you been using it Evan_ISS? not changes in battery life ?..i remember i used a few times the GPS charger with my BB, they had the same plug...and after that, the battery on BB became significantly weaker -

I have had this phone now for about 10 days (it is a replacement) so can't comment on battery life yet.

The problem is that my 1A car charger wasn't keeping up with the Nokia Drive drain so something's got to give.

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have had this phone now for about 10 days (it is a replacement) so can't comment on battery life yet.

The problem is that my 1A car charger wasn't keeping up with the Nokia Drive drain so something's got to give.

Have you tried the solution with "charging cable only"? seems that whole issue with slow charging in the car is not the charger but the cable. So you need to short two wires on the cable so ..the phone identifies the cable as a charge only source..vs charge & data for an USB cable connected to the pc.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: PureGear Charge Only Cable for Universal Micro USB - Retail Packaging

and DYI solution:
microUSB Charging Cable Only (D+ D- shorted) - xda-developers

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the solution with "charging cable only"? seems that whole issue with slow charging in the car is not the charger but the cable. ...

I have tried both with the Nokia provided USB cable and with a dedicated "charge only" cable and still the drain overwhelms the 1A charger.

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon