Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #1  
    Hello everyone,

    I just switched from Samsung Focus to Lumia 920. I have a lot of micro usb chargers (Samsung & generic) at the office, bedroom, living room..and i was wondering if there is any risk risk of using these chargers with my Lumia? I mean...can it have a negative impact over the battery life/performance? My old Samsung charger is rated Output= 5v. 0.7A. Also, does the micro USB type of cable as any impact over charging? I know that ..with some micro USB cables, Win 7 wont recognize the phone when plugged in.

    Same type of question, for the car charge: i have a generic one, there is not even a sign of output Amps or voltage, any risk of using it? if yes..what should I look for when buying a new one?

    thank you,
  2. phonohead's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #2  
    Not sure about the risks of affecting the battery life, though it there has been cases of that. A friend of mine destroyed his battery after buying a generic USB charger.
    See if Nokia has any official chargers available.

    On the other hand, your phone may not pick up any signal from the USB-charger. There are two or three other threads, right now, on this issue already.
  3. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #3  
    I think the Nokia charger is rated at 1A output, give or take. Its bad to go higher than what comes with it, as general rule. Also, with Nokia, it seems that if you don't use same rating as theirs, it doesn't seem to get to full charge. It may say it is full, but mine doesn't seem to last as long as when I use Nokia chargers, USB or wireless. .7A output won't hurt battery, but it may not reach its full potential with it either. Especially when you first get device and battery needs to be conditioned. Also, with generic chargers, the touch screen won't always work while its plugged in. Should be ok with that charger, but its always recommended to go with manufactures charger.

    Also, with car chargers. Don't use them if you don't absolutely have to. They are rated much higher output usually for a quick charge. Battery gets much hotter and it will shorten the life of you battery. I don't care what anybody else says, it will shorten your battery life.
  4. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Also, with car chargers. Don't use them if you don't absolutely have to. They are rated much higher output usually for a quick charge. Battery gets much hotter and it will shorten the life of you battery. I don't care what anybody else says, it will shorten your battery life.

    Are any Nokia car chargers? Looked on ebay..cand couldnt find much. Also..I travel quite often, and its impossible to user Drive+, without charging while driving..
  5. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #5  
    Found this online, Nokia DC-17: Nokia DC-17 1A Micro USB Car Charger - Original OEM

    Nokia reccomands DC-20, but i find it a little bit too expensive, over 30$ or so.

    Couldn't find a difference between the two, any ideas if this is "safe" to use?
  6. Evan_ISS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    Found this online, Nokia DC-17: Nokia DC-17 1A Micro USB Car Charger - Original OEM

    Nokia reccomands DC-20, but i find it a little bit too expensive, over 30$ or so.

    Couldn't find a difference between the two, any ideas if this is "safe" to use?
    I think the difference between the two is that the DC-20 has 2 x 1A ports and the cable is not fixed (i.e. you can use your own cable, see below why that may matter).

    You will find that a 1A charger won't keep up with the drain caused by Nokia Drive and a fast charger is required.

    I use this: Fast car charger with cables and clips - Accessories - TomTom

    I have also read in another thread here that the type of cable used matters (charge only vs data/charge cables).
  7. bevmo73's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #7  
    The nokia 920 usb charger in the AT&T US box says 5v 1.3A FYI. I've tried my Kindle tablet charger (1.8A 9W?) and I'm not convinced the charger or phone are that happy with it as there is some buzzing... Lower amps seem fine, older charges, Laptop USB charging, and I'm not sure about what the wireless charger is rated at (that's the one I use the most and like the most). I'm waiting for some good wireless car charger and holder options.
  8. Evan_ISS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevmo73 View Post
    The nokia 920 usb charger in the AT&T US box says 5v 1.3A FYI. I've tried my Kindle tablet charger (1.8A 9W?) and I'm not convinced the charger or phone are that happy with it as there is some buzzing... Lower amps seem fine, older charges, Laptop USB charging, and I'm not sure about what the wireless charger is rated at (that's the one I use the most and like the most). I'm waiting for some good wireless car charger and holder options.
    The wireless charger has an output of 0.75A if I am not mistaken and the USB Charger (AC-16) 1A, hence charging with the wireless charger is slower (duh).

    As far as I am concerned, if you use a good quality charger then there is nothing to worry about, I use my phone as my main navigation device and it is plugged in all the time while in the car (otherwise it just drains like crazy).

    The specific charger keeps up with the drain and also manages to top up a bit when not using BT. With BT on it just keeps the drain in check which frankly is all I need it for.

    There is nothing worse than arriving to a meeting with a dead phone in your pocket.
  9. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_ISS View Post

    ... if you use a good quality charger then there is nothing to worry about, .
    what car charger do you use?
  10. Evan_ISS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    what car charger do you use?
    See the link in my post above (#6).
    Thanked by:
    xtrip 
  11. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #11  
    Are those fast chargers , 2A ..safe for the phone & battery?

    How long have you been using it Evan_ISS? not changes in battery life ?..i remember i used a few times the GPS charger with my BB, they had the same plug...and after that, the battery on BB became significantly weaker -
  12. Evan_ISS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    Are those fast chargers , 2A ..safe for the phone & battery?

    How long have you been using it Evan_ISS? not changes in battery life ?..i remember i used a few times the GPS charger with my BB, they had the same plug...and after that, the battery on BB became significantly weaker -
    I have had this phone now for about 10 days (it is a replacement) so can't comment on battery life yet.

    The problem is that my 1A car charger wasn't keeping up with the Nokia Drive drain so something's got to give.
  13. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_ISS View Post
    I have had this phone now for about 10 days (it is a replacement) so can't comment on battery life yet.

    The problem is that my 1A car charger wasn't keeping up with the Nokia Drive drain so something's got to give.
    Have you tried the solution with "charging cable only"? seems that whole issue with slow charging in the car is not the charger but the cable. So you need to short two wires on the cable so ..the phone identifies the cable as a charge only source..vs charge & data for an USB cable connected to the pc.

    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: PureGear Charge Only Cable for Universal Micro USB - Retail Packaging

    and DYI solution:
    microUSB Charging Cable Only (D+ D- shorted) - xda-developers
  14. Evan_ISS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    Have you tried the solution with "charging cable only"? seems that whole issue with slow charging in the car is not the charger but the cable. ...
    I have tried both with the Nokia provided USB cable and with a dedicated "charge only" cable and still the drain overwhelms the 1A charger.
  15. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #15  
    Hello All,

    just want to provide an update on this..

    I found this charger - Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2, iPhone 4, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer , following another post on a similar topic

    Seems this one comes with an adapter that will "force" charge only function. Its also rated at 2A. I just ordered..but it will take a while until it will arrive in Canada.

    Hope this helps..

Similar Threads

  1. Navigon + Lumia 920 + charger = flat battery
    By Roderick Laird in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2014, 10:59 AM
  2. DIY Nokia Wireless Car Charger Mod for Lumia 920
    By freel123 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  3. Lumia 920 chargers?
    By MDak280 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM
  5. wired gadgetlab poll lumia 920 vs iPhone5
    By dzibo in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions