Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #1  
    I will start by saying I got my 920 about a week ago. Battery life...is so so, difficult to asses so far..because I love my phone so much..that I rarely letting it rest:) ..so I would say I'm a heavy user.
    However, today..Ive noticed that..after browsing the net, opening a few aps..the phone started to get fairly warm on the up back side of the phone. I reset it..checked background processing, nothing besides weather was open, and was still warm. I had been using for about an hour at that time...

    I contacted then Nokia support chat and I was explained, like any tv, radio..or any other piece of electronics, the Lumia is getting warm because of the usage. They assured me the Qualcom CPU and the whole phone has been tested to resist high temperatures and nothing will happen to the phone..Are you guys buying this? Is this normal? ..do other phones like SG3 or Iphone 5 get hot too? Ive also noticed that..when the phone is hot, the battery tends to drain faster...
  2. lesd777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #2  
    Its fine. Mine gets warm with heavy use or continuous YouTube videos, but it's not impacting the phone and battery life is good for me.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
  3. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,338 Posts
    #3  
    It seems random to me... I can play the same game 2 days in a row and one day it gets warm to hot, the other it stays cool.

    Something odd going on.
  4. rbxtreme's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #4  
    Processor usage ~ power consumed... And about the heating .. I feel every power hungry processor heats up.. And moreover, they also have safe cut off temperatures where in the processor will turn off the phone... Nothing to worry as such my friend.
  5. Omer Ahmad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #5  
    I think it's something to do with heavy usage of data on LTE or wifi. stremaing music, videos and especially skype heats up the phone.
  6. Squatting Hen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    #6  
    All of the 920's we have get very warm/hot with light internet usage. I can browse the internet for 5 minutes and I can feel the top of the phone getting warm to hot. This happens when playing some games too.

    My wife and I each have a 920 and it happes to both. I have had one replacement (directly from Nokia) and the new one gets hot as well. I think they all do this, but not everyone defines hot the same way.
  7. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    ..... not everyone defines hot the same way.
    the Nokia support person..actually asked me a wise question..in order to establish "the hotness" - "does it get hot that you cannot hold it in your hand?"...the answer is an absolute no. So, i think..in most of the cases..it gets warm, and its actually nice...sometimes in the Canadian cold winter:)
  8. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,056 Posts
    #8  
    If the phone is getting warm, there is almost certainly some relatively heavy battery drain going on. Unles the SoC is getting warm for some reason.. but really.. it shouldn't be if you are just streaming a video.

    Now.. as far as I know the MSM8960 has the LTE chip "built in" which should prevent excessive battery drain if you are streaming over LTE.. I dunno, it doesn't make sense for the phone to get warm just for that.

    Gaming is another story.. I don't think there is no phone out there that doesn't get warm during heavy 3D rendering..
  9. #9  
    I spoke to an engineer about this. He asked me the specs of the phone and the processor and he thought, just from the specs, that the phone was bound to get hot from the processor power consumption.God blessAndrew
  10. xtrip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #10  
    just browsing for an hour..or so gets the phone fairly warm, im not sure it has to with having LTE enabled.
  11. typhon62_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #11  
    My 920 gets very warm just sitting in my pocket with nothing running in the background and a power cycle is the only thing that fixes it.
    Might happen 1-2 times a day, then I won't see it for 2-3 days. When its in my pocket at least I feel its having problems. If I sit on on my desk I never know till it makes a sound that the battery is almost dead. I live in the Chicago area and have great LTE signal.

    I'm toying with sending it in, but not sure the phone I got back would be any better.
  12. #12  
    I've never had a device that didn't get hot from heavy usage! (except for my surface rt) this is definitely the norm for smartphones these days! Restarting the phone isn't going to do anything, and honestly there is no point in doing anything, if it gets hot it means your using it! No harm is done.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  13. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrip View Post
    I will start by saying I got my 920 about a week ago. Battery life...is so so, difficult to asses so far..because I love my phone so much..that I rarely letting it rest:) ..so I would say I'm a heavy user.
    However, today..Ive noticed that..after browsing the net, opening a few aps..the phone started to get fairly warm on the up back side of the phone. I reset it..checked background processing, nothing besides weather was open, and was still warm. I had been using for about an hour at that time...

    I contacted then Nokia support chat and I was explained, like any tv, radio..or any other piece of electronics, the Lumia is getting warm because of the usage. They assured me the Qualcom CPU and the whole phone has been tested to resist high temperatures and nothing will happen to the phone..Are you guys buying this? Is this normal? ..do other phones like SG3 or Iphone 5 get hot too? Ive also noticed that..when the phone is hot, the battery tends to drain faster...
    my galalxy s3 gets hot also. especially when playing a game, especially a higher graphic game like an RPG game or a racing game. but neither my gs3 or my lumia 920 get hot to where i cant hold it.
  14. n7slc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #14  
    I can play "Where's my Perry" for about 45-minutes and the battery will go from full to dead and with a level of heat from the phone that is actually painful.
  15. uselessrobot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    371 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by n7slc View Post
    I can play "Where's my Perry" for about 45-minutes and the battery will go from full to dead and with a level of heat from the phone that is actually painful.
    Where's My Water?/Where's My Perry? have to be one of the worst games I've played for battery usage. Sounds like poor optimization to me considering more graphically intensive games don't drain the batter so quickly. Does it really require that much CPU power to process the water?

    I've gotten the phone pretty warm on some games, to a point that it becomes a concern, but never to the point I'd call painful. I would hope Nokia has adequately tested the phone to the extremes and has designed it to cope with this.
  16. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,056 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    I've never had a device that didn't get hot from heavy usage! (except for my surface rt) this is definitely the norm for smartphones these days! Restarting the phone isn't going to do anything, and honestly there is no point in doing anything, if it gets hot it means your using it! No harm is done.
    What do you consider heavy usage ? My ip5 gets hot only when I play games.. my 808 never gets hot, even if I am on Skype and nokia drive is running at the same time. But both phones remain cool while web browsing or streaming youtube.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    What do you consider heavy usage ? My ip5 gets hot only when I play games.. my 808 never gets hot, even if I am on Skype and nokia drive is running at the same time. But both phones remain cool while web browsing or streaming youtube.
    Ehh I could be exaggerating heavy usage, but surfing the web or playing a game for more than 15 min typically gets my devices hot! (and I mean furiously surfing web, like load a new page every 10 seconds)
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  18. LazyLemming's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    #18  
    Some warmth is actually normal. It's caused by any activity that draws a massive amount of power. This can be a highly CPU intensive task or a highly data intensive task. Your signal strength can relate to this also. If you're trying to run data and have a crappy signal it's going to draw a bunch more power.

    My phone used to get almost painfully hot. After I got the battery drain issues sorted out (Battery is spectacular now) it no longer heats up beyond mildly warm.

Similar Threads

  1. Attachment issue on Mango - Nokia Lumia 900
    By ZetaKappa in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 06:35 AM
  2. Me Tile Issues AGAIN
    By deadwrong03 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM
  3. Nokia Strikes Again (Ooops)
    By TheWeeBear in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 12:48 AM
  4. Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasnít it Taken Off?
    By madhouse1616 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions