people cant hear me

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
OK my problem is a bit odd and it doesn't always happen. Well the main issue I make one call and no matter what I say , they cannot hear me, and then I have to hang up and call again and then it works any ideas? Thanks in advanced

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
OK my problem is a bit odd and it doesn't always happen. Well the main issue I make one call and no matter what I say , they cannot hear me, and then I have to hang up and call again and then it works any ideas? Thanks in advanced

Sounds like a Mic issue. Somehow the back ground noise is reaching the main mic before your voice and the noise cancelling mic is registering your voice as background noise. I can recreate this on my HTC 8x by calling my house phone and then putting my 8x by the TV speaker at a weird angle. Sometimes I get the voices from the TV and sometimes I get louder background music and no voices or quiet voices.

Try blocking the noise cancelling mic with a finger and see if this still happens, if it doesn't happen anymore, then you probably have a trigger happy noise cancelling mic that needs to be readjusted by Nokia.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From my own experience, if the top sound cancelling mic is blocked, it will make your outgoing call quality very bad. I had a TPU cover with no coutout for the tiny holes for the mic (top of phone to the right of the headphone jack). I had to cut a hole in my TPU protective case to clean up my issues. I just ordered an official Nokia case that has the cutout so it will look better than my modified case. Another thing you can try is to turn on the speakerphone. If you still do not get you voice to go out, it could be connection or carrier issues. If it works fine on speaker but not on normal talking, it could be related to one of the mics in the phone.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed if I hold phone away from mouth more than 3-4", people complain they can't hear me. If I hold it close, no complaints. When speaker phone is on, I can be within 3' or so and no complaints, but has to be close when on phone normally. Sucks because I always want to hold phone away from mouth because its more comfortable.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had a couple of people tell me I sound very quiet lately as well. Today I had someone confirm that I was quiet, then plugged in the standard Nokia headset (came in the box with the Lumia 920) and they said I was noticeably louder. Surely the phone by itself, with all it's multi-mic goodness, should sound louder than with a headset dangling somewhere under my chin?

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an interesting finding! I had exact same issue where called party could not hear me well or couldn't hear me at all. But when I use speaker phone they could hear me well.

My observation with Lumia 920 is as below:
When you turn on speakerphone during the call your noise cancelling microphone (placed on top of the phone near audio jack) becomes your primary/talking microphone. And your call microphone becomes the noise picking microphone.

- Whatever I know about how the noise cancelling algorithm works, when noise cancelling mic picks a lot of signal/noise it tries to separate it out from main signal and the DSP algorithm raises talking main/microphone's to certain level by some complex mathematical calculations.

So what I tried was very simple, when called person complained about he/she not being able to hear me, I blew some air (like when you whistle) into noise cancelling mic placed on top of the phone once or twice, and the called person started hearing me nicely. In short I tried to fool the NR algorithm to make it feel that there is a real noise and that seemed to raise main mic gain boost.

So please try this and let me know if this works for anyone of you!

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have been having this issue too. When I call people for the first minute or so they claim that they can not hear me too well and I end up having to repeat myself. And now that I am thinking about it I usually have the television on in the background so I wonder if it is picking up all that noise and for some reason softening my voice.

Joeboy22

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
The phone needs to be changed. I just had exactly the same issue with mine. I reckon a faulty batch from November til March ish 2013. Dont stick pins in the mic etc as this will just damage the mic even more. Send it back to Nokia. Be aware that they need to have it 3 times before they will change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb