Buying films/tv shows?

MadsTimm

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I'm new to WP8 and have recently bought a Lumia 920 (UK). I've always been an iPhone user so was used to downloading films/tv series through iTunes. However, when I go into the Windows store or XBox store I can't see any options to purchase video content. Am I just missing something or don't MIcrosoft have a solution for this yet?

If they haven't - is there anywhere else I can buy films/tv shows that I can then stream through the phone?

Thanks,
M

MadsTimm

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Is there a good alternative solution (website or app) where I can buy films/tv and playback through the windows phone? Don't really want to rely on ripping DVD's and all the sites I've googled look suspect ...

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming there's no Netflix as a alternative for you guys in the UK. Until Microsoft improves this, Netflix is a life saver here.

MadsTimm

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yep, we have Netflix but you can only stream on that right, not download? Was looking for a place to buy stuff to watch on the commute as I don't get enough data/decent coverage on the train to stream

Thanks for the repies!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@Mads
Yes, only streaming. Don't know what your data allowance is but it goes fast when Netflixing. I was smart, I guess, to keep my unlimited data plan with Verizon when I bought my 822.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally just use Netflix here in Sweden on Lumia 920, but has MS officially acknowledged the need of some kind of video service on WP? Meaning do we know they are making one.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, we have Netflix but you can only stream on that right, not download? Was looking for a place to buy stuff to watch on the commute as I don't get enough data/decent coverage on the train to streamThanks for the repies!
Since I don't have WP8 nor do I have a working DVD drive, I can't promise this works. Nor can I promise the software is still around. It's on my Mac, but I downloaded that in 2007.Either way, Handbrake was/is a piece of software that allows you to make a digital copy of your movies. Then you just move it to your phone. (or buy digital copies when you buy blu rays/DVDs).Of course, one of these fine gentlemen or ladies will have to let us know if it works. I can next week when i get a new computer and my Lumia.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Or in this case...rip your own DVDs. It's the only way to be sure.

DVDFab (PAID) + Handbrake (FREE)

For better quality do not try to rip directly from DVD to MP4 - slightly longer two-stage method yields better results.

1) Rip entire DVD to hard drive using DVDFab
2) Encode mobile file using the copy you just created on your hard drive using Handbrake

As for using the mobile copies you get with most DVDs...unfortunately most of these simply will not work - they are generally either 1) iTunes or 2) Ultraviolet (unfortunately the Windows Phone version of Flixster does not yet support downloading and playing UV content).

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.Or in this case...rip your own DVDs. It's the only way to be sure.DVDFab (PAID) + Handbrake (FREE)For better quality do not try to rip directly from DVD to MP4 - slightly longer two-stage method yields better results.1) Rip entire DVD to hard drive using DVDFab2) Encode mobile file using the copy you just created on your hard drive using HandbrakeAs for using the mobile copies you get with most DVDs...unfortunately most of these simply will not work - they are generally either 1) iTunes or 2) Ultraviolet (unfortunately the Windows Phone version of Flixster does not yet support downloading and playing UV content).
Now that is upsetting! But oh well .. I don't usually watch movies on my phone anyway. I have Dark Knight Rises on my Samsung and haven't watched it yet (on my phone).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb