Hello Folks, I have been using Nokia Lumia920 for about a month and really noticing my limitations with respect to complying with my Company's privacy policies. While MS provide a way for us to Synch our contacts, emails, calenders through Cloud/Hot Mail as well as setting up a direct Outlook hook through exchange, it's not a secure solution. 90% of my work involves reading emails/calenders etc and this become even more important when I'm traveling. Now I am at the mercy of my corporate IT to release an APP that makes my phone in compliance with security policy and with not too many WP8 users in my company, I am basically stuck. Not sure why MS guys did not think of this and the fact that forcing everyone to use Cloud is not really a secure mean.
    Thanks ...
    01-31-2013 04:14 PM
    Out of interest what are your companies privacy policies that you can't achieve with your phone?
    01-31-2013 06:49 PM
    outlook is not even touching the cloud tech. Its just normal active sync, don't see where you are going.
    01-31-2013 06:53 PM
    Hello Folks, I have been using Nokia Lumia920 for about a month and really noticing my limitations with respect to complying with my Company's privacy policies. While MS provide a way for us to Synch our contacts, emails, calenders through Cloud/Hot Mail as well as setting up a direct Outlook hook through exchange, it's not a secure solution. 90% of my work involves reading emails/calenders etc and this become even more important when I'm traveling. Now I am at the mercy of my corporate IT to release an APP that makes my phone in compliance with security policy and with not too many WP8 users in my company, I am basically stuck. Not sure why MS guys did not think of this and the fact that forcing everyone to use Cloud is not really a secure mean.
    Thanks ...
    I don't get this at all. These phones sync directly to exchange. No cloud needed.
    01-31-2013 08:41 PM
    I am guessing that the OP works somewhere where you need a VPN to connect to the server, not just over the internet (cloud)
    01-31-2013 09:15 PM
    ahh, that explains it. Hopefully will come with the next update...
    02-01-2013 04:15 AM
    Thanks that's what I meant to write ... with IT not supporting WP8, the other option that I have to keep my mails/calenders synched is to create Hotmail Connector hooks; manually transfer my mails/calenders to Hotmail. That means I will be breaking IT security policy as well as can't trust Hotmail to keep my contacts/calendars/emails from not hacked.

MS could have given us an easier way to synch phone through USB etc.
    02-01-2013 10:00 AM
    Could you connect your laptop to a wired internet connection, connect to your works vpn, then share your laptop wifi connection with your phone and sync like that?
    Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
    02-01-2013 10:12 AM
    These days, requiring VPN for email connectivity is pretty old school. SSL is widely accepted and secure.
    02-01-2013 11:08 AM
    Could you connect your laptop to a wired internet connection, connect to your works vpn, then share your laptop wifi connection with your phone and sync like that?
    Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
    I knew how to prevent this when I was 14. Any IT department worth their salt will have it set up to not allow bridging or sharing through the network.
    02-01-2013 11:36 AM
    maybe im not catching on, but is the issue not being able to sync with outlook for your company?

I have my company email provisioned which uses outlook and I am able to sync my contacts and have my calendar updated realtime.
    02-01-2013 12:47 PM
    maybe im not catching on, but is the issue not being able to sync with outlook for your company?

I have my company email provisioned which uses outlook and I am able to sync my contacts and have my calendar updated realtime.
    Some companies require a VPN to be established before you connect. A lot have switched to SSL, but plenty still using a version of VPN that WP does not work with.
    02-01-2013 12:50 PM