I finally figured out my 920 battery problem.

Ozi1950

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have found out about a month ago you can dial ##3282 and then go to those three little dots in lower right corner and then to network type. You can change network type (E, 3G, 4G) there. Att does not have that toogle for network in settings...

zen zappa

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
great posts !
I learned a lot, and my battery is not boiling anymore!
Thanks a lot for your posts guys ! You should have the
N920 WP 8 Tech Award.
Note that I contacted Nokia Support and that was like talking
to Uncle Fester in The Adams family...
They didnt have a clue !!!!!
Once again, Big Thanks ����

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have found out about a month ago you can dial ##3282 and then go to those three little dots in lower right corner and then to network type. You can change network type (E, 3G, 4G) there. Att does not have that toogle for network in settings...
this works on my Lumia 920! Not sure how it will save on battery life.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
this works on my Lumia 920! Not sure how it will save on battery life.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

It should be noticeable. Like said above, screen is always the most battery consuming part of any phone when the screen is on.
On standby its always the phone searching for signal. 4G standards being the biggest offenders, as long as there's no redundant function on the phone doing cycles on standby and eating up the battery.

This is what i said on previous thread why there's so many stories of different battery life. It's so dependable on your coverage, bands available and what your phone supports, your daily work route, unique mix of settings and apps etc.

Ozi1950

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This is what I see when I do that:View attachment 27959so, should any of these settings be changed?

Well it depends how is your data coverage, do you have LTE signal? Like tissotti mentioned a few posts earlier, when your data coverage is bad, phone is looking for network and better signal and that keeps draining the battery. Switching to 3G or edge in some areas might help you prolong battery life.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I had experienced erratic battery life on my L920 until I did the following:

Settings>>Applications>>Background tasks>>disable all the appls that you don't need it to run on background like Accuweather, etc.

Typical overnight drain is 2% (6-7 hours sleep). All my other settings are normal, network is on 4G with data roaming off. Emails are still on push, brightness on auto etc. Battery life on average use (say about 1.5hrs talk time), including web surfing is average 14 hours, with 20-30% remaining. I spend about 3-4hrs in WiFi coverage. Bluetooth is also on as I use a bluetooth earpiece when driving, say about 1 hour a day...

However, I do noticed that in areas where network coverage is weak, the battery is draining faster - I guess the phone must be trying to stay connected at all times. Also, occasionally, I will find that the phone gets pretty hot and battery drain was high, even though all my apps are shutdown. I can only fix this problem by a soft reset (power+vol down button), then this gets fixed.

Well, it is reasonable battery life usage, but I do hope that some of this random behaviours gets fixed by Nokia/Microsoft.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I had a different situation. But then I'm using 820. Was visiting my hometown and my operator switched to Edge connection as it did not own any towers there ie it shared with other telecom. My 820 reached 20 hours and still had 26pc juice left. I used the phone for gps navigation, and taking pictures, calling and messaging. Whatsapp is always on.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone know what the ENS and CMAS RMT settings do? Just curious. The various instructions say to choose the Toggle ENS option, but not a single article says whether it should be on/off or what it does. None of them mention the CMAS RMT setting.

Also, I know that the polling frequency is the rate at which the phone polls the towers for updates (incoming/outgoing calls, text messages, etc.), so adjusting it to one should improve the delays in making/receiving calls and such, but I'm not sure what the cost of battery life would be. In my old Sprint days, it was a negligible impact... as long as you're in decent signal areas.

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

So how do you get it to take effect? I changed "Network Type" to "3G Only", but it still says LTE at the top of the screen. Tried turning Airplane Mode on and off and it still reconnected to LTE.

I don't see any way to commit the settings... I am just backing out. But when I go back in it is still set to 3G.

Thanks

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you got the portico update? If so, have you enabled WiFi always on? Are you always within range of your universities WiFi during the day? In any case, you need to be aware of those parameters during that test. Good luck!

I do have the Portico update but I do not stay constantly connected to wifi when the phone is locked. I will be testing this for a few days starting monday(2/4). I'm guessing it will drain quicker but it could be tolerable because right now my battery life is off the charts. It should be noted, though, that I haven't done a lot of gaming only light LTE streaming to and from work while I listen to Xbox Music.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Ozi! That is a great thing to know and an awesome workaround! I'm going to test this after I test the battery life with data conection turned off and constant wifi connection when phone is locked.

Thanks again.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So does anyone know what the ENS and CMAS RMT settings do?

CMAS is the Commercial Mobile Alert System, not used in the UK or Europe AFAIK but is enabled in the US. CMAS RMT set to "on" would allow the handset to display what's known as the Required Monthly Test message. Can't see it having any bearing on battery life, IIRC it's just a cell broadcast channel function.

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So how do you get it to take effect? I changed "Network Type" to "3G Only", but it still says LTE at the top of the screen. Tried turning Airplane Mode on and off and it still reconnected to LTE.

I don't see any way to commit the settings... I am just backing out. But when I go back in it is still set to 3G.

Thanks

ahh, never mind. Works fine. I just got screwed up by AT&T's screwy labeling of 3G as "4G" at the top of the phone. Strange thing is that with speed tests I am getting faster downloads with 3G than LTE, even though LTE has full bars. Slower uploads though.

Ozi1950

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you figured it out on your own lol yea, I don't know about 3G being faster, my LTE service is crazy fast.
mr_808, you are welcome sir!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you figured it out on your own lol yea, I don't know about 3G being faster, my LTE service is crazy fast.
mr_808, you are welcome sir!

I'm getting 8Mbit down/4Mbit up on 3g AT&T near Chicago, full bars. LTE gives me 5/7 with full bars. Seems pretty strange.

Guess I'll stick with 3g for the battery savings.

Ozi1950

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I just did the test with speedtest.net app, results were 42.74 Mbps down and 12.66 Mbps up. I've had even better results than that. This test is obviously on LTE with full bars.
Yea, 3G will save battery, but I don't understand why your speed is that messed up on LTE.

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that would be nice! I don't understand because as I understood it this area is supposed to have great LTE. Thanks for the info!

dl75007

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I saw in another thread that uninstalling all apps, and then reinstalling them, helps with 920 battery life. It worked for me.

Two weeks ago my wife and I both purchased Lumia 920s from AT&T. I noticed rather quickly that her phone held a charge very well, while mine was draining almost completely in 12 hours under less than normal use (certainly much faster than the iPhone 4S I had previously). Same phones, same software and apps.

I uninstalled all apps, and then reinstalled them, except for the Nokia apps-- I did not reinstall City Lens or Drive, but did install Music. I then used a battery drain app to completely drain the phone. I also followed most of the Nokia suggestions for extending battery life (background tasks, screen time out, email fetching, etc.). The result is very good, bordering on great, battery life.

I would extrapolate from this that some Nokia apps may cause battery drain. It is only anecdotal evidence, but I know how my phone has responded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire