Quality of photos is even worse after Portico

sakahn

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For me, photos are definitely worse after the update. I don't know why, but there seems to be even more noise reduction applied, especially in the day-time shots. I wish, I could do a before and after comparison but recently I took some photos in a bright day, the average size of the photos is more than 3 MB at ISO 100! In full resolution they did not look good at all. I really like this phone, but really hoping that in future camera quality will improve.

I am attaching 100% crop of two photos taken today. Honestly they look horrible with all this noise reduction. Just look at the grass at full resolution in the first image. I cannot imagine why in such good lighting conditions the image is so heavily post-processed to remove the noise.

WP_20130204_017.jpg
WP_20130203_004.jpg

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Damn. I was hoping the Portico update would fix the poor quality camera. I don't know if it's hardware related or not but I'll be sending my 920 to Nokia care again. It's not acceptable to have to put up with this for three months and still have to wait and hope for a software fix.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
looks like you did not had it on focus? try a long tap on the spot you want to focus or the white balance you like the picture based on.

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes my phone can take great shots, sometimes it really is blurry.

I've done numerous comparisons with other phones like the amaze 4G which can take sharp images consistently. The 920 takes great closeups regardless of lighting, but for regular shots its hit or miss for me. I still love the phone however.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I've done numerous comparisons with other phones like the amaze 4G which can take sharp images consistently. The 920 takes great closeups regardless of lighting, but for regular shots its hit or miss for me. I still love the phone however.
same for me

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

the reason behind is that nokia always has suck ass auto mode, plus the infamous after shoot blur. But using long tap should bring the cam to full potential.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I do not have this problem. Have you tried checking to see if your lens is clean. Perhaps use auto mode instead of dickering around with ISO settings. As with any digital camera, having the light at your back and a steady hand always results in better pictures. You might also try Creative Studio, which does a very nice job of color correction and sharpening things up a bit. Sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your results.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It's becoming a tiresome discussion on whether the 920's camera is any good or not but please understand, there are some faulty units out in the wild, mine being one of them. Yes, the lens is clean, it's set to auto, I have a steady hand etc but it won't take proper focused images. If anyone else's 920 can take focused shots then good for you, you have a fault free camera. Hopefully you get it now. There are some faulty 920 cameras that simply don't work as intended. Thanks

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
It's becoming a tiresome discussion on whether the 920's camera is any good or not but please understand, there are some faulty units out in the wild, mine being one of them. Yes, the lens is clean, it's set to auto, I have a steady hand etc but it won't take proper focused images. If anyone else's 920 can take focused shots then good for you, you have a fault free camera. Hopefully you get it now. There are some faulty 920 cameras that simply don't work as intended. Thanks
That is true, I have seen some great and sharp pictures taken with L920, unfortunately my L920 can't be trusted. Sometimes it takes sharp picture but most of the time is quality not so good. I am waiting for Portico to see if that helps, fingers crossed :)

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
either obvious troll is obvious or you dont know how to upload pictures.

The size of the image above is only 433kb the camera takes at roughly 2-3mb in other words this is compressed a lot.

If you are using the automatic uploading from skydrive then that could be the issue (it sucks) if you want the full quality picture you have to tap n hold then select upload.

pro tips:
use two hand
clean the lens

other

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you are using the automatic uploading from skydrive then that could be the issue (it sucks) if you want the full quality picture you have to tap n hold then select upload.

Not true. My auto uploads to Skydrive are full resolution.

Pro tip:
Known the full facts before giving advice

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Even I have a similar experience...chk out the images I have posted on the following post 'Portico update: Images still soft on Lumia 920' in Windows Phone 8 forum...

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Those definitely don't look good, but I haven't had any issues with the camera on my 920. This sounds like a isolated incedent so hopefully you still have some time to exchange your phone for another one. If you are out of you exchange policy try contacting Nokia directly. You still have a one year warranty.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
either obvious troll is obvious or you dont know how to upload pictures.

The size of the image above is only 433kb the camera takes at roughly 2-3mb in other words this is compressed a lot.

pro tips:
use two hand
clean the lens

other

Seriously? I've got the automatic upload to Skydrive app for my N8 and have it set to full quality over WiFi only. Pictures uploaded are perfect. Same setting on my 920 and pictures are horrible. Besides, just viewing the pictures on my phone shows how bad the pictures are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99