Do you use NFC for anything on your lumia 920?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Had a quick read of all the comments so far... Seems I won't be changing my opinion of it any time soon. So far I cannot see any advantage over a Bluetooth connection. In fact it appears to be somewhat inferior based on the comments above.
NFC can be useful. Pairing with speakers. Giving people pictures (assuming that works, I will be trying it Friday!). Making payments if you are into this.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Pairing it with the JBL PlayUp and the Luna bh-220W.
I also have a sticker on my nightstand witch sets the alarm and sets the ringtone to mute.

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
nope.

But one thing i thought was cool is that you can embed nfc chips in business cards nowadays. Sure you could use a QR code but that is more ugly :)

9500ix24

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I use NFC with my car's Bluetooth 3.0 receiver and to share links with some S3 owners
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There are several apps for creating NFC tags. Buy the tags and make your tag do what you want.

Yeah, except that you can't really "do what you want" thanks to WP8 limitations.
I have a bunch of NFC stickers with my Lumia 820 and the only things I could do with them is:
1) open a settings page (like Wifi, bluetooth etc.)
2) go to a URL
3) Navigate to an address
4) open from a given list of apps

WP8 doesn't support doing the cool things you could do with the GS3 like automatically toggle your ringer or wifi or whatever. I know it's a security thing, but I personally think its too many fences on the WP field.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I've used it to transfer video's, pictures, files and app suggestions to my wifes phone and my W8 tablet. I shall try to send a picture to another device (non-wp) as you all have me curious now:)

Tested with trying to send to a BB9900, the blackberry couldn't recognize the file type (just a picture), so tried to transfer one from the BB to my 920...the nfc wouldn't even start the connection when starting from the BB.

Last edited:

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung uses a propriety system to transfer media files on the S3 called S-Beam. The S3 uses WiFi-direct for the pairing process and only connects to other S3's. The Lumia 920 uses Bluetooth OBEX for the pairing process which is why Bluetooth has to be enabled.

also leaving it open to work with other devices.. unlike that closed wifi direct to s3 only.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I used it to transfer pictures to another Lumia 920. Also with my Nokia Play 360. Hopefully we can use it eventually to pay for things.

Bob Hoil

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I mainly use mine for tap to send files to other phones. Waiting for the wallet to be able to use NFC.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing right now but I feel that NFC is still in its infancy, regulated to more simple tasks like sharing playlists and pictures. I think the versatility of NFC will explode once more NFC enabled devices hit the market. It's a shame that Apple passed on NFC as iPhone 5 sales would have helped NFC tech tremendously. Unfortunately Apple choose profit margins over innovation.

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Nothing right now but I feel that NFC is still in its infancy, regulated to more simple tasks like sharing playlists and pictures. I think the versatility of NFC will explode once more NFC enabled devices hit the market. It's a shame that Apple passed on NFC as iPhone 5 sales would have helped NFC tech tremendously. Unfortunately Apple choose profit margins over innovation.
My concern with Apple getting into the NFC mix is their seeming desire to adopt their own standard to differentiate themselves from others and make it their own. My hope would be that they would choose to go with NTAG203, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out with their own standard if NFC adoption remains sluggish in the mobile realm.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for NFC for Windows Phone, and it was finally announced for Windows Phone 8. To my dismay, I found that Microsoft joined board with those waiting for ISIS, practically making NFC worthless to me (I'm waiting for it for NFC payments, and my wife and I have to share one debit card for various reasons....). I understand NFC hasn't taken off yet, but the places that do currently support NFC (Walgreens, CVS, BP gas station, McDonalds, and other places) pretty much cover the vast time I need NFC payments when leaving the card with my wife (mostly gas really).

There has been a recent case released for the iPhone 4/4s/5 that supports ISIS, so it at least shows there is hope if the iPhone is receiving attention for NFC payments via ISIS. However, I don't see ISIS taking off anytime soon, so that basically kills my dreams of making NFC payments via a Windows Phone 8 device. That is the ONLY THING I miss from Android (Google Wallet)....

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Passbook. I feel Apple left out NFC to 'steer' people into using Passbook.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for NFC for Windows Phone, and it was finally announced for Windows Phone 8. To my dismay, I found that Microsoft joined board with those waiting for ISIS, practically making NFC worthless to me (I'm waiting for it for NFC payments, and my wife and I have to share one debit card for various reasons....). I understand NFC hasn't taken off yet, but the places that do currently support NFC (Walgreens, CVS, BP gas station, McDonalds, and other places) pretty much cover the vast time I need NFC payments when leaving the card with my wife (mostly gas really).

There has been a recent case released for the iPhone 4/4s/5 that supports ISIS, so it at least shows there is hope if the iPhone is receiving attention for NFC payments via ISIS. However, I don't see ISIS taking off anytime soon, so that basically kills my dreams of making NFC payments via a Windows Phone 8 device. That is the ONLY THING I miss from Android (Google Wallet)....

I am in the same boat. I don't know how bad I was waiting for the 920 so I can use NFC payment at my local stores. I seriously wanted to be rid of carrying around my credit/debit cards. But alas, this is not the case right now. Almost feel as though I got the bait and switch as Wallet payment was announced as a feature. . It is not interesting to transfer pictures/video via NFC, I can do email/sms for that. Somehow I think we wont get NFC payment through ISIS until iPhone gets NFC because then the carriers will notice:( I hope I am wrong and it is sooner than later.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No use for me at this time. I might come up with something fancy with those stickers, but it's not a big deal so I'm not gonna go out of my way and buy them.

But I still value that my phone has it, hoping that NFC picks up some pace here in Finland too in the upcoming years. But for now I just have it turned off to save battery since I have no use whatsoever for it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
NFC.
NFC has three letters.
I do not recognize the existence of the number three.
I don't have any use for NFC.

I literally don't have any use for it here in the Philippines. I just tried to justify me not having any use for it.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought a small pack of 5 stickers and I'm waiting to program those. I have used NFC though. I've shared contacts with a GS3. I had a meetup of Nokia Lumia 920 users from the WNM Live social network. We tapped to get user points for meeting other users in real life. (only cool if you use that network). We also all shared pics with each other. I selected several at once and then tapped the other persons phone and the transfer started. It dummy proofed the Bluetooth transfer.

So I've used it for proximity verification in one app and instigation of Bluetooth transfer in another. There's also a new "treasure hunt" kind of game in the Store that uses NFC. I'd like to see free songs and/or ringtones and/or apps available by NFC at Microsoft and carrier (ATT, VZ, TMob, Sprint) stores and maybe even venues. I can imagine going to a concert and downloading content via NFC ONLY at the event. That wouldn't use Bluetooth, but rather would trigger a www event.

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not used it yet although I'd love to be able to make contactless payments with it (my carrier [EE] doesn't supply the required SIM cards to enable this).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077