Do you use NFC for anything on your lumia 920?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The main feature I want to use it for is NFC payments; but of course that will have to wait until the operators start offering secure sims. Not sure when and if that will happen in the UK. It looked like Orange was making some progress there, but I'm not sure where they are at.

I read that Orange, Vodafone and O2 had set up a company (originally called JV or Joint Venture Ltd) to promote a unified method of paying for goods with NFC. I've not heard anything else recently though.

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
There are several apps for creating NFC tags. Buy the tags and make your tag do what you want.

I bought 5 stickers and oh boy, its freaking cool. One opens my flashlight app in bedroom so I dunt need to stand up amd turn the light off again, one is on my work keyboard and brings up the Bluetooth option and I disable it becauseI dunt need it at work and it says me battery and one is nextto my bed to being on the Airplane mode and I turn it on the second before I fall in sleep until next morning to save battery at night. Its so cool.

I just wish Nokia could have Profiles so I could set different profiles with different settings ( Vibrate on/off, Volume ... ) and have the Profile activated on differenet places

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got a few stickers that I regularly use.
I've got two hidden In the dashboard of my car, one that opens my "driving" Spotify playlist, and another that opens NOKIA Drive and programs it to my home address.

@zack, how did you get your phone to turn off and on WiFi with an nfc tag?
The best I could manage was to open the WiFi settings, or Bluetooth settings menu?

Ive been having the very same concern. The best I could do with my speakers is also to bring up Wireless/Airplane/Ringtones/.. settings but not doig the actual On/Off thing

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Literally the only thing I use an NFC tag for is to open the "Internet Sharing" settings page to tether to my Surface.

If I do it manually, I have to swipe to the side, jump to S, open settings, open internet sharing.

With NFC, I can do it by tapping the tag and then pressing the open app button.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
There are so many things that you could potentially use NFC for, it is a shame that we can't take advantage of it yet. Hopefully the days where I can leave my house, tap on a couple tags to turn off wifi, gps, bluetooth etc. , tap on and off at the train station on the way to a club/bar at night, pay for entry, drinks, McDonald's and a cab home all with my phone aren't too far away. Our phones are capable, it's just everything else hasn't caught up yet.

Microsoft could at least help us in removing that annoying security message so we don't have to actually touch the screen, essentially defeating the purpose of the tags. At least then NFC would be useful for something right now. I'll continue to have NFC disabled until they do so.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that on Windows Phone 8 NFC could only launch apps, not change settings. Those of you that are using it to toggle wifi and bluetooth can you please share how?

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
There are so many things that you could potentially use NFC for, it is a shame that we can't take advantage of it yet. Hopefully the days where I can leave my house, tap on a couple tags to turn off wifi, gps, bluetooth etc. , tap on and off at the train station on the way to a club/bar at night, pay for entry, drinks, McDonald's and a cab home all with my phone aren't too far away. Our phones are capable, it's just everything else hasn't caught up yet.

Microsoft could at least help us in removing that annoying security message so we don't have to actually touch the screen, essentially defeating the purpose of the tags. At least then NFC would be useful for something right now. I'll continue to have NFC disabled until they do so.

I hate that security message everytime it popps up. I wish we could disable it

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that on Windows Phone 8 NFC could only launch apps, not change settings. Those of you that are using it to toggle wifi and bluetooth can you please share how?

please read this carefully: You can NOT change settings. You CAN bring up setting menus and THEN change settings yourself. ( which is the downside of MS because on other phones like Galasy S3 you CAn change settings directly.

I give you an example of one of my NFC stickers: I have it sticked on my keyboard at work. When I come to work, I put my phone on it and it BRINGS UP the Bluetooth menu option and THEN I select disable ( because I dunt need it at work).

With Apps like NFC Lunchit you can bring up almost every menu option with a nfc sticker ( like what I mentioned above) but sadly you can NOT change anything. I wish we could like other phones can do.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I lord it over people with iPhones that my phone can do touch to transfer and their phone can't. That's the only use I've gotten out of it so far.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I actually like it. Sure, let us automatically change settings with NFC but at least give me the popup please. Perhaps make it an advanced option in Tap + Send that cannot be adjusted by anything.

I like the extra security of it; but maybe it shouldn't show when reading tags that were created by that same phone.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually like it. Sure, let us automatically change settings with NFC but at least give me the popup please. Perhaps make it an advanced option in Tap + Send that cannot be adjusted by anything.

I like the extra security of it; but maybe it shouldn't show when reading tags that were created by that same phone.

If any one worked in Office 2003 and 2007...you will know MS is not new to the annoying 'security warnings'. You could make an Access database, 100% from scratch, you are the only one to ever touch it, and it would STILL give you a warning saying that it could do harm to your computer. It would be like having individually wrapped cigarettes with each one of them needing you to remove two warning labels.

I know WHY they do it..it was for a reason...but c'mon, allow advanced users to take off the training wheels!

Good news however...this was removed in Office 2010...now when you open a database, it gives you the warning ONLY THE 1ST TIME. It does it for EVERY database you ever make or open, but ONLY ONCE. That is the best of both worlds. I do not want to give ANY sticker the privilege to turn off my data...but please give us the option to write to a tag that "no warning is needed if using phone IMEI: 19083124879123897412389741238741237980"

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could use it to do things like turn Bluetooth on in the car and off at other places. Or Wi-fi on at home, things like that. Automatically without my intervention.

However Microsoft screwed up this part.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Great question, if this NFC really starts to take off we will see more and more productive uses for it. I have mainly used it to transfer info
With my new coworkers, aside from that minimally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium