Checking if OIS is working properly?

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey :)

My friend and I used my L920 yesterday on skiing (His very good) and the videoes is very shaky..
So is there any good way to check if the OIS is working properly? A movement or something?

mikeymcz

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You can check the OIS by goint to the camera and when you taking the picture move with the phone quicky and when you half-press the shutter you should see on the display that the movement is slower/smoother.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You can check the OIS by goint to the camera and when you taking the picture move with the phone quicky and when you half-press the shutter you should see on the display that the movement is slower/smoother.

I tried, works like a charm :)

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Completely false information. The OIS is not active software, but passive hardware, that is always active. The lens and sensor are essentially mounted on springs. You will never be able to know its working unless comparing against another camera that does not have the feature.

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Completely false information. The OIS is not active software, but passive hardware, that is always active. The lens and sensor are essentially mounted on springs. You will never be able to know its working unless comparing against another camera that does not have the feature.

how come you can only notice the ois during the video and after? but now viewing whats live on screen.. unless you hold the shutter down half way like they did in the demos...

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. When I'm doing video at home it's really steady even when I'm shaking it.. but with the camera it's shaky like **** even when I press the shutter down half way.. That's weird?

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you press it half way down when your in video mode or photo mode?

In photo-mode ;)
I cant see any difference in when I press half way down or doesn't :s

*I made a video earlier today where I recorded my phone where I try using the half down pressed option some times and recorded a video in the same video, and I will try upload the video from my Sony camera and the "test"-video from my L920 tomorrow

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My best suggestion: hold L920 in one hand and another phone in the other hand, walk a bit...run a bit, jump a bit. Then look at them simultaneously. See any difference?

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
@ttsoldier
thanks for posting video comparison, awesome. However I think he is more worried about his own L920 if OIS works and not. It was same thing with me, I have seen a lot of good pictures taken by L920 and then reviews showing how good it can be, BUT I was having problems with MINE L920 because pictures was blurred too much. Honestly, I took some videos as well (normal walking through some furniture shop) and after looking at video I was also confused if OIS is working or not.

Well I think we have to give credits to Nokia about advertising, they convinced us that this simple mobile phone can take miracle videos and photographs, they are good, not arguing about that, but about EXPECTATIONS.... I was (after watching Nokias commercials) expecting a bit too much from this phone. I do have DSLR so after I compared to "real" camera I lowered my expectation and stopped questioning every photo or video ;)

And thank to users of this forum posting answers and helping each others ;) so we know more about how other L920s behave :)

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only phone that has come close to actually being a "camera" is 808. The problem with humans are that we always expect more and better all the time, we need and crave the best and sometimes forget that technology is a slow process and "not as good" as we really think it is. But we are getting there, and I have real high hopes with Nokia and their future Pureview phones. But we are not there yet where phones produce a better result than DSLR. And in my opinion that's good.

Some say that technology and digital photography has made everyone a photographer. Well, that's not true. There's a difference between everyday pictures and real photographs. And the secret behind that is certainly not technology. It's knowledge. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett