Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tafsern

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Hey :)

My friend and I used my L920 yesterday on skiing (His very good) and the videoes is very shaky..
    So is there any good way to check if the OIS is working properly? A movement or something?

You can film the same sequence with another phone and compare.
    Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tafsern View Post
    You can film the same sequence with another phone and compare.
    Lol... I totally forgot that option ;) Thanks!

Same thing is happening to me bud ! let me know what you do about it

You can check the OIS by goint to the camera and when you taking the picture move with the phone quicky and when you half-press the shutter you should see on the display that the movement is slower/smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymcz View Post
    You can check the OIS by goint to the camera and when you taking the picture move with the phone quicky and when you half-press the shutter you should see on the display that the movement is slower/smoother.
    I tried, works like a charm :)
    Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymcz View Post
    Completely false information. The OIS is not active software, but passive hardware, that is always active. The lens and sensor are essentially mounted on springs. You will never be able to know its working unless comparing against another camera that does not have the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    Completely false information. The OIS is not active software, but passive hardware, that is always active. The lens and sensor are essentially mounted on springs. You will never be able to know its working unless comparing against another camera that does not have the feature.
    how come you can only notice the ois during the video and after? but now viewing whats live on screen.. unless you hold the shutter down half way like they did in the demos...

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Hmm.. When I'm doing video at home it's really steady even when I'm shaking it.. but with the camera it's shaky like **** even when I press the shutter down half way.. That's weird?

Do you press it half way down when your in video mode or photo mode?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Do you press it half way down when your in video mode or photo mode?
    In photo-mode ;)
    I cant see any difference in when I press half way down or doesn't :s

*I made a video earlier today where I recorded my phone where I try using the half down pressed option some times and recorded a video in the same video, and I will try upload the video from my Sony camera and the "test"-video from my L920 tomorrow

It has nothing to do whether you press half or full, its a mechanical damper.

My best suggestion: hold L920 in one hand and another phone in the other hand, walk a bit...run a bit, jump a bit. Then look at them simultaneously. See any difference?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    My best suggestion: hold L920 in one hand and another phone in the other hand, walk a bit...run a bit, jump a bit. Then look at them simultaneously. See any difference?
    I'll do that tomorrow and thanks for the suggestions ;)

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiiimZooon View Post
    I'll do that tomorrow and thanks for the suggestions ;)

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Damn! Awesome stuff :) Thanks for showing it to me! ;) Now I know if my L920's OIS is perfect in video ;)

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    @ttsoldier
    thanks for posting video comparison, awesome. However I think he is more worried about his own L920 if OIS works and not. It was same thing with me, I have seen a lot of good pictures taken by L920 and then reviews showing how good it can be, BUT I was having problems with MINE L920 because pictures was blurred too much. Honestly, I took some videos as well (normal walking through some furniture shop) and after looking at video I was also confused if OIS is working or not.

Well I think we have to give credits to Nokia about advertising, they convinced us that this simple mobile phone can take miracle videos and photographs, they are good, not arguing about that, but about EXPECTATIONS.... I was (after watching Nokias commercials) expecting a bit too much from this phone. I do have DSLR so after I compared to "real" camera I lowered my expectation and stopped questioning every photo or video ;)

And thank to users of this forum posting answers and helping each others ;) so we know more about how other L920s behave :)

The only phone that has come close to actually being a "camera" is 808. The problem with humans are that we always expect more and better all the time, we need and crave the best and sometimes forget that technology is a slow process and "not as good" as we really think it is. But we are getting there, and I have real high hopes with Nokia and their future Pureview phones. But we are not there yet where phones produce a better result than DSLR. And in my opinion that's good.

Some say that technology and digital photography has made everyone a photographer. Well, that's not true. There's a difference between everyday pictures and real photographs. And the secret behind that is certainly not technology. It's knowledge. :)
    ZiiimZooon likes this.