We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jh20001
  1. jh20001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    So I have an email account on my on cpanel backed server. I have my emails coming to the phone but it only allows your typical 15 min+ checks. It doesn't give me an option for "as it arrives". What measures do you have to take to push your emails to your phone when you have a custom email.
  2. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    You would need IMAP, rather than POP3.
  3. jh20001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    You would need IMAP, rather than POP3.
    Yep. I have it on IMAP4 (vs POP). I even have the ports and the checkboxes set for SSL as well. Mail comes and goes perfectly fine but in terms of sync options, it only gives me the usual 15min, 30min, hourly, every 2 hours and manually. No option for "as it comes" or "push". What is wrong? I even deleted the account, went to settings, Add Account, Advanced and re-entered it in as IMAP4 with all of the settings. Sill the same. Am I doing something incorrect?
  4. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Check out Nuevasync . I use if for my work, imap email and it is great. It will set to get as items arrive. It costs $ 30, but well worth it for me.
  5. jh20001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Check out Nuevasync . I use if for my work, imap email and it is great. It will set to get as items arrive. It costs $ 30, but well worth it for me.
    Ya lol, I'm not going to pay $30 when my phone *should* be capable of doing it by default.


    I just added one of my gmail accounts and it allows me to use it. So they don't want to allow 3rd party mail servers access to push mail feature??
    Last edited by jh20001; 02-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    uswebworx likes this.
  6. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    most of the mail service out there are allow to push mail into the client, what are you talking about?
  7. jh20001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    most of the mail service out there are allow to push mail into the client, what are you talking about?
    Not if you own your own domain appearantly. You have to be using one of the common branded services it seems (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc). If you hit Other or Advanced as an option to add your account instead of one of the branded giants, you lose the ability to push email. Correct me if I am wrong but I have tried it a dozen times now.
  8. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jh20001 View Post
    Not if you own your own domain appearantly. You have to be using one of the common branded services it seems (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc). If you hit Other or Advanced as an option to add your account instead of one of the branded giants, you lose the ability to push email. Correct me if I am wrong but I have tried it a dozen times now.
    then it depends how your providers setup, i used to have a domain for my blog, not problem with that one, its bluehost btw.
    i remember the setting was adding email, select advance, setup domain and other info, will have the push option below. Imap and active sync is supported.
  9. yaashul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I have a Yahoo Plus id but I am not able to setup even yahoo mail for push mail on nokia 920 it only gives 15 minute 30 minutes and so on timing rather than push mail. Is anyone able to successfully able to push mail for yahoo?
  10. uswebworx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I run my own servers and have this issue on POP haven't tried Imap yet as I just don't like imap, no reason why. But I cannot push it immediately or as it arrives either.
  11. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by yaashul View Post
    I have a Yahoo Plus id but I am not able to setup even yahoo mail for push mail on nokia 920 it only gives 15 minute 30 minutes and so on timing rather than push mail. Is anyone able to successfully able to push mail for yahoo?
    dont you have something like "as item arrive"?
  12. uswebworx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    You would need IMAP, rather than POP3.
    Just set up a brand new account on my server and using imap4 doesn't give the option either and nowhere to make these changes server side, it is not that big of a deal though, just link the email inboxes and manually hit the refresh button.
  13. jh20001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    Ya. I added mine via advanced and I can once again say with 100% confidence that there was no option for push or "as it arrives". The full details of how I added was mentioned a few posts of mine ago. :( Shame on you MS

    I have an account on bluehost, so I have added an email account and then added it to the phone as imap. Nothing there either. That makes 3 domains now and 2 servers.
  14. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by yaashul View Post
    I have a Yahoo Plus id but I am not able to setup even yahoo mail for push mail on nokia 920 it only gives 15 minute 30 minutes and so on timing rather than push mail. Is anyone able to successfully able to push mail for yahoo?
    Yahoo Plus only supports POP3, not IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync.
  15. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jh20001 View Post
    Ya. I added mine via advanced and I can once again say with 100% confidence that there was no option for push or "as it arrives". The full details of how I added was mentioned a few posts of mine ago. :( Shame on you MS

    I have an account on bluehost, so I have added an email account and then added it to the phone as imap. Nothing there either. That makes 3 domains now and 2 servers.
    guess is a regional thing again? I have them after portico, US ATT btw.
  16. yaashul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Yahoo Plus only supports POP3, not IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync.
    But Yahoo do support Imap in case you don't know that
  17. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by yaashul View Post
    But Yahoo do support Imap in case you don't know that
    "Although they are both based on IMAP, the Yahoo! Mail and MobileMe push email services for iPhone do not use a standard form of P-IMAP. Yahoo! Mail uses a special UDP message to trigger an email synchronization, while Apple Inc.'s MobileMe push e-mail uses a variant of XMPP.[1]"


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP

    http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...pressions=true
  18. yaashul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    "Although they are both based on IMAP, the Yahoo! Mail and MobileMe push email services for iPhone do not use a standard form of P-IMAP. Yahoo! Mail uses a special UDP message to trigger an email synchronization, while Apple Inc.'s MobileMe push e-mail uses a variant of XMPP.[1]"

    Now which one windows mobile 8 especially Nokia Lumia 920 uses?


    Push-IMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Mail Help | - SLN3255 - Receiving email in another email program

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
  2. Sync errors with email and can't send text messages.
    By AshDOG in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
  3. beezz and push notification channels.
    By IamNabil in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

";