02-08-2013 03:02 PM
Just thought I'd pass on my experience in dealing with Nokia Canada and their service.
I bought a used Nokia 920 on kijiji from a guy about 3 weeks ago. I got a stellar deal (a bit over $300 and it was unlocked).
On the drive home I noticed that the SIM tray was sticking out at a weird angle. I immediately spoke to the guy but he was of the belief that it was normal?! Obviously this was fishy. I was all intent to force him to give me my money back but discovered it worked fine. He obviously didn't read the instructions when taking the sim tray out as you could see all sorts of markings on the tray itself on the outside.
Regardless, I did an online chat with a Nokia representative the following day and explained the situation. This person was very responsive and said that they would send a replacement SIM tray for free shortly. Someone would be calling me to confirm the delivery address.
I received a phone message the following day from a lady that was extremely hard to understand with a name that I would assume meant she was calling from an overseas call centre. She told me that unfortunately they didn't have these SIM trays in stock and I should contact a third party to get a replacement. However, she didn't leave any third party names or numbers.
I called her back and she basically told me that I should go back to Rogers and ask them to fix it. I told her that I effectively bought it off contract and Rogers would not service this (I was told this by Rogers prior). I told her that I was more than happy to pay for the SIM tray since it really wasn't a Nokia fault. She told me there was nothing she could do as there were none in stock and it was my fault for buying a Nokia phone off contract and using it on another carrier. I almost laughed at her at this. After this we ended the call.
I sent an email about this to Stephen Elop and within literally an hour I had a reply from him telling me that someone would be in contact. The following day I had an email and a phone call from someone at Nokia telling me they were going to ship me a SIM tray the next business day priority.
Sure enough, one arrived yesterday from Flextronics locally.
I'm really pleased that Stephon Elop reacts to his customers when he is at such a high level. However, I'm pretty disappointed that I had to go through this just to get a SIM tray. Like I said, I offered at the beginning to pay for this as it was really not their fault.
Morale of the story is that Nokia stands behind their products but you might have to prod them a bit.02-07-2013 04:49 PM
- I'm really pleased that Stephon Elop reacts to his customers when he is at such a high level. However, I'm pretty disappointed that I had to go through this just to get a SIM tray. Like I said, I offered at the beginning to pay for this as it was really not their fault.
Out of curiosity, was the "sticking out a little at a weird angle" affecting the reading of the SIM? or just a cosmetic eye sore?02-07-2013 04:57 PM
- It seems to me that nokia actually gave you exceptional service in providing you with a free replacement part for a phone that you bought off contract, used and damaged by its previous owner.......i'm fairly certain that most other companies might not have been so attentive, given the same circumstances.02-07-2013 05:13 PM
- So you laughed when she told you it was not their fault.... Then at the end you say it was not their fault? Which is it? I don't get it.
I can assure you that it is not Mr. Elop who responds to those emails.
Out of curiosity, was the "sticking out a little at a weird angle" affecting the reading of the SIM? or just a cosmetic eye sore?
No I laughed when she said it was my fault for buying it unlocked and I should not use it on Bell...she was trying to tell me to take it back to Rogers but since it's unlocked Rogers will not touch it for warranty and referred it back to them.
The weired angle : It was actually sticking out so it was getting caught...I didn't want to take the chance of taking it out of my jeans and having it caught and ripping it out when powered as that could damage the phone...02-08-2013 12:31 AM
- It seems to me that nokia actually gave you exceptional service in providing you with a free replacement part for a phone that you bought off contract, used and damaged by its previous owner.......i'm fairly certain that most other companies might not have been so attentive, given the same circumstances.
Like I said, I'm very happy with getting it for free as I had no problem in paying for a new one...my point was that they were not even offering me a solution to buy one....the only way I gained satisfaction was by emailing the president (regardless if it's him who replies or not)...I really shouldn't have to do that.02-08-2013 12:34 AM
- 02-08-2013 10:46 AM
- I had a similar experience w/o the resolution of the problem. I downloaded a song and the whole album started to down load, probably user error. So I called customer support to get some guidance. She told me to just turn off the phone and it will stop downloading. ????? Ok. Well obviously that didn't work so I started an online chat with a "nokia representative". After explaining the situation and what out come I was after this individual states: Go back to music and try to download it again. What the ****? I then restated that I purchased something by mistake. This individual then says: That is impossible because It ask you if you want to buy?. I replied forget it I'll keep the album, but I have been having issues with the phone heating up and the battery draining 20% downloading one song. The reply was: The phone will heat up with use just like a human heats up when they work a little harder. The phone will shut off if it gets to hot. Don't worry.
Needless to say not impressed with nokia customer service so far. On the good side, I did the chat on my 920 with no problems (sometimes actually trying to utilize a web site is a pain in the *** with a mobile, not the 920. Very functional and awesome browser.) And the album that downloaded was about 50 songs and it all downloaded in a matter of minutes. Chewed up battery, but 50 songs, I expect it.02-08-2013 03:02 PM
- By dawindbag in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 4Last Post: 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
- By jmerrey in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 07-26-2012, 05:36 AM
- By rc2080 in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 4Last Post: 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
- By vp710 in forum Nokia Lumia 710Replies: 14Last Post: 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
- By bilzkh in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 9Last Post: 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD