Lumia 920, I have a couple questions.

Michael Shaw

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So, a couple months ago, early December, I purchased a red Nokia Lumia 920, and I absolutely love it. I do have a few questions I'd like to see answered though.

1. Data. I have a very small data plan, so I like to keep it turned off. However, when I do this, a couple functions on my phone seem to stop. The first is picture messaging, whether on WiFi or not I cannot get pictures through text unless I turn on my data, I've never had this problem on either my old Androids or iPhones, (Also group text doesn't work without data). The second one that I just discovered today is app updates, the store won't tell me my apps have updates unless I turn my data on and leave it on for a while, that one really bothers me.
2. This one isn't really a question, but I wouldn't mind an explanation. Now that I've been using the Qi charging (wireless) if I choose to plug my phone in for the night, the next day the battery plummets after a couple hours of moderate use. It doesn't affect me too much but I'm still curious.
3. Why was my 920 only $100? I've seen the lower grade phones being sold for over twice that price, and this is the flagship. I'm very grateful, I'm just curious.
4. Last one. Is there any way for me to tell if my phone has gotten the Portico update? I never clicked the update button but every time I check for an update it tells me everything is good. I don't really trust this, because while I love the operating system, it is Windows, and Windows means a few bugs. I just want to make sure I really am up to date.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I understand wanting to get a small data plan but turning it off seems counterproductive to me. Why have a smart phone if you're going to do that? Besides, unless you start streaming things away from WiFi, you don't really use that much. As for the 920, I only paid $100 for mine as well. Just consider it our good fortune and Nokia being very good to its customers.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, a couple months ago, early December, I purchased a red Nokia Lumia 920, and I absolutely love it. I do have a few questions I'd like to see answered though.

1. Data. I have a very small data plan, so I like to keep it turned off. However, when I do this, a couple functions on my phone seem to stop. The first is picture messaging, whether on WiFi or not I cannot get pictures through text unless I turn on my data, I've never had this problem on either my old Androids or iPhones, (Also group text doesn't work without data). The second one that I just discovered today is app updates, the store won't tell me my apps have updates unless I turn my data on and leave it on for a while, that one really bothers me.
2. This one isn't really a question, but I wouldn't mind an explanation. Now that I've been using the Qi charging (wireless) if I choose to plug my phone in for the night, the next day the battery plummets after a couple hours of moderate use. It doesn't affect me too much but I'm still curious.
3. Why was my 920 only $100? I've seen the lower grade phones being sold for over twice that price, and this is the flagship. I'm very grateful, I'm just curious.
4. Last one. Is there any way for me to tell if my phone has gotten the Portico update? I never clicked the update button but every time I check for an update it tells me everything is good. I don't really trust this, because while I love the operating system, it is Windows, and Windows means a few bugs. I just want to make sure I really am up to date.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

1- If your data is off there is no way for the marketplace to sync up with your phone to let it know that there are updates; the same way you can't browse the market without data on.

2- No idea, have you tried a soft reset (hold volume down and power for about 20 seconds)

3- Nokia is being aggressive to try and get phones out there

4- Check your wifi settings and tap advanced. If the option to keep wifi connected when screen times out is there you've got Portico

Michael Shaw

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Very helpful and I appreciate it.
Also, I can browse the Market perfectly fine with data turned off, as long as I'm on WiFi, and I don't understand why it can't sync up with its server through WiFi. There could be something obvious I'm missing, if so please help me out. :)

Michael Shaw

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
200mb is all I have, and I don't know if any apps are pulling from the data in order to update their Live Tiles, also I'm just an overly cautious person and I don't like going over. More likely than not if I keep it on I'll forget and not realize I have no WiFi and start trying to use Netflix. Although with all these things on my phone relying on my data, I might start forcing myself to keep it on, we'll see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720