Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

humdinger

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Hmm, I think the general battery calculation is off. I've noticed that the % sometimes doesn't correspond to the bar at the top and the number jumps around a fair bit. For example, see the attached screenshot. I had something like 2 days left at 54%. I'm at 44% now and it shows 3 hours left (has been off the charger for 15 hours). I sure hope it's a software glitch!

wp_ss_20121120_0001.png

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

It bases its calculations on how you've already been draining the battery and your habits. So if you've been playing games nonstop then it projects you'll keep draining it at that rate hence a shorter projected life left. If you barely use the phone it will project a long remainder. And then of course, if the rogue drain issue is occurring it will project a shorter length of time.

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

The 14 day period is coming up real soon.... so question since this is basically my first smartphone since the iphone.

If the battery "issue" gets worse, can you get a replacement phone for free? OR what is the point of the 14 day period compared to the 1 year warranty Nokia has... I bought this phone online via ATT.

I have a few microscratches and while its not noticable it does irk me that its already been scratched!

BTW, I fully recharged my phone at around 2 AM, went to sleep. Used sporadically throughout the day, playing music check email etc. Now its 12:30 AM and its about to die... should i get a replacement?

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if those of us having battery problems need to post a list of apps we use to try and find a common app that might be causing it. It might not be an app though and like someone said earlier it could be Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Yesterday I was only making it half a day before my battery was almost dead barely using the phone. Today I turned off, BT, WiFi, NFC and turned off serveral live tiles (ESPN, CNN, etc) just to test. I went from 6am to 11pm (17 hours) doing just normal email reading and a few apps (not heavy use) and I am at 57%.

There is definitely something causing a battery drain. The batteries themselves don't seem to be the issue. I will start enabling stuff one at a time to try and find a cause.

goixiz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

it would be great if there is an appthat tells what apps are running and whats using the processor or gps or any resources. that way we can determine if thats an app we can discontinue using or ditch the lumia 920.

battery life is pathetic for me running barebones and have to worry bout it making thru a day.

my finL decision will be made this saturday and may have to revert back to android

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I charged up last night, finished approx 22:45 (for reference that is 15 hours ago) - I played on it for approx 1 hour afterwards, downloaded the FREE Mirrors edge and went through the tutorial. Left it on overnight, had mobile internet on this morning until approx midday although only used it for hourly updates to my email. Made a few calls since midday, 1 text too. Currently at 83% and it says I have 1 day 4hours left. Got to be honest, I will be gaming a little later so that will not happen. Not really used it much today at all so didn't expect it to drop by much.

Got phone Saturday morning, ran it until it died early Saturday afternoon. Also, did a factory reset as I messed up my Xbox login on the 1st go. Did a full recharge and then a couple of half charges since. Yesterday charged from 7% - full.

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I noticed the same thing today...surprisingly my battery was performing amazingly till i started getting whatsapp msgs at around 11:00 am when the battery was at 95%. Then after 30-40 whatsapp msgs....the battery started drain in a spiralling fashion till it reached about 45%. I came home in the evening with about 20% battery.

Whatsapp may have been a culprit - I'm still getting really poor battery performance, and it appears Whatsapp may have noticed. I did a factory reset of my phone last night and when I went to download whatsapp from the store, it was gone.

Hopefully they are fixing the issue.

Abe Vinjamuri

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have been having a lot of problems with battery life - and have gone through 4 phones (3 replacements) and there is no resolution. I figured that turning off the NFC helps a bit but it's still not acceptable. I should not have to turn off anything to get 7 or 8 hours out of the phone.

Anyway, I was talking to the sales guy at At&T and he mentioned that LTE sucks your battery like crazy (does the same with his iPhone 5 ) as your phone is constantly trying to find the LTE network and basically "no phone battery on market today is good to work on LTE and have good performance". Now I'm assuming that this is BS but having gone through 4 phones, it makes me wonder

And even when I get 7 hours, i use it sparingly - my web surfing is down compared to the iPhone (makes me believe Cook's stats on 80% of tablet surfing is on the iPad is also true for phones), I do not watch Netflix or be on Facebook. All I have is 4 emails getting pushed every 30 minutes (I used to have 7 on my iPhone).

This is disappointing to say the least - I like the Nokia but wonder if I have to return the phone (I have 4 days left in the 14 day period)

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

i was getting decent battery life (nfc off, bluetooth off, nokia drive disabled, 3 background tasks (weather, fb, usa today), wifi on, screen brightness low, also did a hard reset after i initially got the phone). The big thing for me was uninstalling the battery life app (the one with the number reading). The tile wasn't updating at all, so i uninstalled it, and that improved by battery life (10-12 hours originally to about 20-24). I use my phone a decent amount, texting, gaming, web browsing, etc. Not sure how many of you have that battery app, but try uninstalling it, it really helped my phone.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

So, I reset my phone last night, left it off the charger this morning and woke up to this... Record?

wp_ss_20121121_0001.png

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

There's definitely a problem with the way the phone drains the battery when being on cell network only. I get great reception in my house, and have had at least 10 smartphones in the past 2 years, and NONE have drained battery as fast as the Lumia 920.

I had my phone at 100% last night at 11 pm - took it off the charger and left it - at 5 am it was down to 65%. Nothing was running, no background tasks, NFC off, bluetooth off, wifi off.

There's NO REASON this phone should lose 35% battery in 6 hours when NOTHING is going on. That's over 5% battery per hour with the screen off and nothing happening on the phone. I've done all the stuff, hard reset, blah blah blah. I truly believe Nokia will release a patch for this - there's definitely something wrong with the way the phone is programmed to ping the cell towers or something.

Oh, and I had to do a soft reset this morning because for some reason the phone had a black screen and wouldn't turn on.

I love the attention Nokia pays to Windows Phone, but I had problems with the Lumia 900 too, and I'm getting pretty tired of Nokia making ****ty hardware. I've had a Samsung Focus and an HTC Titan II and neither of those Windows phones had problems with battery life or freezing or anything. WTF is wrong with Nokia?

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I just got my (freakin amazing) Lumia 920, and I've been getting decent battery life out of it so far. Not excellent, but enough that it lasts me a whole day. Haven't even had to do a hard reset yet, thank god. I still read this thread anyway, just to see if I could improve my battery life. This thread could be a lot more helpful if we knew what the average battery life is for people w/o any problems right now, and see what their settings are. Then we can go ahead and figure out what's messing up the phones.

I'll start. I'm getting about 11-13 hours use out of my L920 right now, with moderate to heavy use (internet, games, Nokia music)
NFC off
GPS off
E-mails pushed on a daily basis
BT off
Brightness on low

I'd say that's about decent, but feel free to prove me wrong if you've had a far longer battery life.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I've only had one super battery drain and the thing I noticed afterwards when I turned my Phone back on, was that the Store had a couple of updates available. Could it be the Store forcing the updates causes the drain? Just trying to find patterns here like everyone else :)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Anyone who's reading this thread should have a pretty good idea it points to GPS. All of you guys complaining about issues, have you disabled GPS and gone a day to see if that helps? We can't narrow it down if those of you having the issue keep doing random things (shotgun troubleshooting) or returning the device three times. Establish a baseline of minimum settings (changed from defaults) and minimum necessary apps, then go awhile, then add to that. Yes its not technically our thing to troubleshoot this, however real life can never be simulated in test/QA centers and for the most part the battery life is great. It's just a minor tweak needed for whatever is causing this. This morning my phone only got warm once, and sure enough the GPS icon popped up. It went away on it's own and I'm doing fine so far today.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Anyone who's reading this thread should have a pretty good idea it points to GPS. All of you guys complaining about issues, have you disabled GPS and gone a day to see if that helps? We can't narrow it down if those of you having the issue keep doing random things (shotgun troubleshooting) or returning the device three times. Establish a baseline of minimum settings (changed from defaults) and minimum necessary apps, then go awhile, then add to that. Yes its not technically our thing to troubleshoot this, however real life can never be simulated in test/QA centers and for the most part the battery life is great. It's just a minor tweak needed for whatever is causing this. This morning my phone only got warm once, and sure enough the GPS icon popped up. It went away on it's own and I'm doing fine so far today.

Im actually testing this today, nothing so far has worked for me, but i am going without location services on for today. However, I do not think turning of locations and having to turn on locations when needed is a resolution, i should be able to leave locations on and configure specific apps i want locations on for, like bing search on and facebook location off.

For testing purposes, i am going to turn off location services today and see any improvement.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Im actually testing this today, nothing so far has worked for me, but i am going without location services on for today. However, I do not think turning of locations and having to turn on locations when needed is a resolution, i should be able to leave locations on and configure specific apps i want locations on for, like bing search on and facebook location off.

For testing purposes, i am going to turn off location services today and see any improvement.

It's not meant to be a solution, it's meant to help narrow it down further. I leave mine on all the time but if my battery were draining a lot and not stopping then I'd toggle it off to see if that helped. It hasn't happened to me often enough yet though. What needs to happen though is people all trying the same thing instead of 50 posts all tossing out random battery ideas. I'm not targeting you, I'm just saying there's a thing called shotgun troubleshooting where you leap about looking at all different things instead of hard reset, leave all defaults, then see if the issue manifests. Then you slowly change settings, add apps, etc., till you get the issue. Rinse repeat to verify, etc. If everyone did this approach we'd be much more on top of this. It sucks and takes a few days, but well worth it in the long run.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not meant to be a solution, it's meant to help narrow it down further. I leave mine on all the time but if my battery were draining a lot and not stopping then I'd toggle it off to see if that helped. It hasn't happened to me often enough yet though. What needs to happen though is people all trying the same thing instead of 50 posts all tossing out random battery ideas. I'm not targeting you, I'm just saying there's a thing called shotgun troubleshooting where you leap about looking at all different things instead of hard reset, leave all defaults, then see if the issue manifests. Then you slowly change settings, add apps, etc., till you get the issue. Rinse repeat to verify, etc. If everyone did this approach we'd be much more on top of this. It sucks and takes a few days, but well worth it in the long run.

I agree. I understand that everyone wants to get their battery issues fixed ASAP, but we could find solutions a lot easier if people tested each method out to see if that is the issue. Changing a million settings on your phone and checking to see if the battery life will improve won't help, since you don't know which one is causing the problem.

timk#WP

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I have had location services completely off for two days. It has significantly helped my battery and the warming of the phone. From around 7 hours to 15 both days.

Acknowledgements:

• As oldpueblo says. This is not a solution. We're just working to corner a root cause rather than blindly stabbing at it.
  • There are thousands of users who do not have any issues. I know. My family has 3 Lumia 920s (red, cyan, yellow). Only red has issues. It's maddening.
  • The red phone with problems has been reset multiple times, even run on factory defaults for two days, still having issues.

The next step (assuming location services is the problem) would be to figure out which default implementation of location services is causing the problem. An incomplete list of possibilities would be:

• Nokia Drive (obviously)
  • Find My Phone (Settings->Find My Phone)
  • WiFi Reporting (Settings->WiFi->Advanced->Send information about wi-fi connections to help discover nearby wifi
  • Internet Explorer (Settings->Internet Explorer->Advanced->Use My Location)
  • People (Settings->Applications->People->Use my location)
  • Bing (Settings->Applications->Search->Use my location)
  • Weather (Weather Channel App->Settings->Use Location Services)
  • Maps (Settings->Applications->Maps->Use my location)
  • Photos (Settings->Photos+Camera->Include location info on pictures I take)
  • Nokia Music (Nokia Music App->Settings->Location)

I probably won't update the list with onesies and twosies people suggest. Feel free to copy the whole list and add implementation location.

If you want to find the issue, cut the list in half. Turn half on, and half off. If you have issues still, you know which half is causing them. Cut that list in half, repeat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon