Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh geez what a bitter old fool.
Nobody said the phone was crap. People are merely looking for answer here.
Geez.

He's the same person who said he won't use his Surface at home now because the kindle app is bad and he refuses to use the best third party ebook app on the Windows store because he's a "kindle person".

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I am having SEVERE bad battery issues. I'm at 24% and I've done literally NOTHING all day. I've stayed home and havnt even left the house and I'm a strong WiFi signal no data. And all I've done is receive texts...this is REALLY bad

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I am having SEVERE bad battery issues. I'm at 24% and I've done literally NOTHING all day. I've stayed home and havnt even left the house and I'm a strong WiFi signal no data. And all I've done is receive texts...this is REALLY bad

And did you block Nokia Drive from running in the background like has been mentioned?

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I thought nokia drive is an app that you are unable to block manually from running in the background. You have to force shutdown the phone or exit the app intentionally. After I figured out that Drive was the issue my battery today I've been using it constantly email, videos, music, and angry birds star wars since 600 am this morning, it is now 1:26 pm and it still has like 80% battery left. I am even running high contrast mode on light background, with high sensitivity touch and its not even breaking a sweat. I think to many WP7 users aren't used to closing actual apps in WP8.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I thought nokia drive is an app that you are unable to block manually from running in the background. You have to force shutdown the phone or exit the app intentionally. After I figured out that Drive was the issue my battery today I've been using it constantly email, videos, music, and angry birds star wars since 600 am this morning, it is now 1:26 pm and it still has like 80% battery left. I am even running high contrast mode on light background, with high sensitivity touch and its not even breaking a sweat. I think to many WP7 users aren't used to closing actual apps in WP8.

Microsoft desperately needs to add a 'close app' option from the task manager (the menu you reach when holding the 'back' button down).

All they need to do is add a small 'x' at the top corner of each running app in the 'back' menu and it would help out.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I managed to wipe out about 70% of my battery in a span of nine hours and charging it 25 minutes on the charger only got me 7% more battery. Today I knocked out 40% in seven hours and after thirty minutes on the charger I got 30% more battery.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering what some of you guys settings are.

I have location services off, bluetooth off, high contrast on, high sensitivity, my Brightness on medium and my Nokia is sipping battery life with few texts here and there, watching ESPN and on Metrotube.

If you have your bluetooth on, location services on, brightness on High and have your emails updating every second or 30 minutes this could be a reason why battery is draining. Especially if your located in a not so good area where the signal is constantly searching.

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have your bluetooth on, location services on, brightness on High and have your emails updating every second or 30 minutes this could be a reason why battery is draining. Especially if your located in a not so good area where the signal is constantly searching.

I wish that wasn't the case. I don't mind turning off bluetooth but I need push for my 3 emails. I personally think the battery is failing. I'm going to wait for a week if there is no improvement I will return it and get a new one.

Edit: Just now I was browsing for a mere 2-3 minutes, it went down from 84% to 81%.

torresa

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I unplugged my phone about 8 am this morning, and just got got my warning of critical low battery 10%. I really haven't used it that much today, no game or anything. through out the day I have shut down some of the background tasks. I am worried I have a bum Nokia, and if I don't then I am worried about Windows phone. Users shouldn't have to go to websites to see how to correctly set up their phone, this is old Android issues.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft desperately needs to add a 'close app' option from the task manager (the menu you reach when holding the 'back' button down).

All they need to do is add a small 'x' at the top corner of each running app in the 'back' menu and it would help out.

I think MS time would be better spent giving quick access to apps actually running in the background. After testing out Nokia Drive and opening several other apps I was surprised by the voice directions coming from my pocket. (I was already out of the car at this point.) So naturally I tap/hold the back button expecting it to be there so I can close it. But it wasn't there; it was out of the rotation of the task manager. Eventually I realized you have to manually stop navigation and that I have to manually block background tasks for individual apps in settings.

I would love to have a quicker way to kill background tasks apps so I can use them on an ad hoc basis and not need to plan way ahead or remember to switch settings on and off for a little used app.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think MS time would be better spent giving quick access to apps actually running in the background. After testing out Nokia Drive and opening several other apps I was surprised by the voice directions coming from my pocket. (I was already out of the car at this point.) So naturally I tap/hold the back button expecting it to be there so I can close it. But it wasn't there; it was out of the rotation of the task manager. Eventually I realized you have to manually stop navigation and that I have to manually block background tasks for individual apps in settings.

I would love to have a quicker way to kill background tasks apps so I can use them on an ad hoc basis and not need to plan way ahead or remember to switch settings on and off for a little used app.

Very good point. I guess both ideas should be combined, ALL running apps should be displayed in a single location with the ability to one-touch exit/close them. Basically WP8 is missing a task manager. It seems MS keeps trying to invent something like it with WP OS. It's like trying to re-invent the wheel. :)

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 Update: So after having my battery drain super fast on Saturday and waking up this morning and watching it drain just as fast I basically killed everything on my phone: no background tasks, no location services, no super sensitive screen, outlook.com mail is on 30min update, Yahoo mail is on 2 hr update, switched to photo lock screen instead of Bing, and no feedback to MS or Nokia.

Charged it back up to full from 63%. After listening to some pod-casts, watching YouTube videos, and some light gaming I've noticed that the battery life is better: currently sitting at 83% battery, 11 hrs left, last charge 3 hours ago. Yesterday I was lucky to get 6 hrs (even though when I took it off the charger it said it had 1 day, 15 hrs and then plummeted down to 6hrs after 30 min of usage).

So looks like the culprit might be is one of the things I turned off. Hope its not background tasks as its not really a WP without live tile updates. The only apps I had to kill on background where: Nokia Drive, Metrotube, Audible, and Weather Channel.

The one thing that didn't change was the extremely long charge time. At 63% it took a little under 4 hrs for it to get back to 100%

Last edited:

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing a lot of inconsistancy with the batteries reported charge...

earlier today i had it charged to 100 and a few hours later after checking email and a few texts later, it was down to 72%. i charged it up to 100% again and now at an hour later..and more use out of it than before, it still shows 100% (and yes its been unplugged for the past hour).

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been messing with mine since Friday. First couple charges it went down quick. Then today I played a little cut the rope, and ran it down to 19%. Stuck it on my charger until I went out to run an errand, it got to 60%, and its been holding strong. So just a bit of advice, run a few cycles before making an assumption about the battery.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing a lot of inconsistancy with the batteries reported charge...

earlier today i had it charged to 100 and a few hours later after checking email and a few texts later, it was down to 72%. i charged it up to 100% again and now at an hour later..and more use out of it than before, it still shows 100% (and yes its been unplugged for the past hour).

got a few more texts, replied to some facebook updates and messed with settings a bit and my phone which has now been off the charger for almost an hour and 45 minutes still shows 100% remaining...hmmm

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

No, all people need to do is turn on the battery saver and not have every app set to refresh it's tile every 30 seconds.

Turn everything down (battery saver on, no unnecessary live tile silliness and don't let apps run in the background that don't need to and you'll be positively amazed at your battery life. I play my 920 at work all day and I come home and I still have 40-45% battery left.

torresa

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No, all people need to do is turn on the battery saver and not have every app set to refresh it's tile every 30 seconds.

Turn everything down (battery saver on, no unnecessary live tile silliness and don't let apps run in the background that don't need to and you'll be positively amazed at your battery life. I play my 920 at work all day and I come home and I still have 40-45% battery left.

So you say turn off all live tiles and have static screen... may as well buy an iphone. Live tiles may be the biggest differentiating feature that sets it apart the other OSs. I am not saying what you are saying isn't correct, I just don't see why this should be an issue. The average user that doesn't look at cell phone websites would buy this cool looking phone, get through 1/2 the day and have to charge the battery, then take the phone back and buy an iphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18