Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
RE: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Mine just went from 32% to shutdown without warning. Kinda lame.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

So this is what AT&T thinks is ok with everything turned off

5UaPp.jpg

Ill be on the phone tomorrow and hopefully in a couple of days ill have a new one.

mukati

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I think the problem is not background apps or faulty device, its the calculation of how much battery is left by the OS. My 920 is just few days old and was seeing very bad battery performance so I checked this thread out. Removed skype, have done hard reset, still not much improvement. However yesterday evening.. my phone was on its dying rounds around 7% left and after sometime it died. I was outside so i just tried to start the phone again and it threw the red battery indicator and shutdown itself. I tried to start the phone again and this time it booted!

The battery indicator showed 0% left! Interestingly the phone lasted for 2+ hours with couple of phone calls in the middle. throughout those 2 hours I was continuously checking the battery indicator and it just kept on showing 0% left, yet it just didn't die. Finally ran out after 2 hours and tried booting again but wouldn't come on.

I'm monitoring my phone today, but can anyone else replicate this behavior?

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I've had my Lumia for a week and was having trouble with short battery life (it would die on me by early afternoon if I didn't charge in the interim. I did the reset with the volume and power switch (vibrate 3 times), and went from worrying if the charge would last through the afternoon to having a 10+% at bedtime. I'm considering the issue fixed for me unless something else arises.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I've had my Lumia for a week and was having trouble with short battery life (it would die on me by early afternoon if I didn't charge in the interim. I did the reset with the volume and power switch (vibrate 3 times), and went from worrying if the charge would last through the afternoon to having a 10+% at bedtime. I'm considering the issue fixed for me unless something else arises.

is that reset the same as going to about in settings and resetting the phone that way?

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well, as mentioned, I turned off all backgrounding and live tiles last night before bed and went to sleep with a full charge off the charger. Phone still read 100% when I woke up ~7 hours later, which was promising. I kept everything off for the day, and it seemed to drain decently slowly. I was still at 75% about 4.5 hours into my day. I took two phone calls totally about an hour, received and answered about 100 texts (liberal estimate there), and received about 50 emails. I am currently about 19 hours off the charger (remember I took it off last night) and my battery is at 37%..

YOU was on a right track (your battery was 37 % after 19 hours) ... if you want improve it more, then disable WLAN (it is only wi-fi) and GPS (satellite) from the settings, and enable them only when you need them ... btw, disabling background tasks was just disabling 3rd party apps to work on a background ... anyway, I wish you all the best :)

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

There are three reset methods with the Lumia 920:

1. Reset from About in Settings
2. Power + Volume Down
3. Power + Volume Down + Camera

Did you use # 2 or # 3 to reset your phone? Did you reset it when the battery was at 100% or some percentage remaining?

I have reset my 920 twice already using # 1 and survived each time. I just worried I might brick the thing if I use # 2 or 3. And because it's a dev build unit, I won't be able to revive it.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Last night, I was just running down my battery to 0% and it shut off, and I tried to turn it on again because usually during a full discharge it will turn on after its dead for another 20-30 minutes of power while the battery is at 0%, however to my surprise it turned on with 18% battery(??!) and it was good for another 4 hours till it died again, finally not able to turn on. Hopefully the battery meter is fully calibrated now.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

The restore is very minimal unfortunately, the apps and some settings will be restored and pictures will upload if you choose to upload. But i found a number of settings that didn't carry over and obviously the start screen is not saved, I wish it would save everything possible and restore as is, but at least it is a start. Hopefully they improve the backup option going forward.

I almost don't even see a point in the backup? So my color options and nothing else gets stored? That's very strange. It wouldn't be so bad if we had some sort of backup option on out computers (like what Apple solely did prior to wifi backups) but we don't even have the option for that. So if my internet is completely dead I am boned. Granted, I don't necessarily foresee such an issue, but still, options are nice.

Anyway, finally got everything set back up the way I wanted it and the phone is almost charged. Going to see if my battery lasts any longer this way. Hoping it does. I don't want to take it back, and I don't want to set it up AGAIN!

Last night, I was just running down my battery to 0% and it shut off, and I tried to turn it on again because usually during a full discharge it will turn on after its dead for another 20-30 minutes of power while the battery is at 0%, however to my surprise it turned on with 18% battery(??!) and it was good for another 4 hours till it died again, finally not able to turn on. Hopefully the battery meter is fully calibrated now.

I noticed something similar, but not to that extent. I turned my phone off at 37%, and when I turned it back on it was 43%. Obviously it had not seen the charger.

The time remaining on the battery varies based on usage. It's always changing. If you go for hours without touching / using your phone and its actually in airplane mode, it will use up less juice. If you go from a day of not using your phone and then watch Super Troopers on your phone you'll be freaking out, man, when you see what % of your battery is remaining.

I noticed this too. But I ask myself how usage data like this is useful? If my phone sits in standby, I get a 4 day usage. As soon as I start playing with it again, it goes down rapidly. What on earth is the point of these statistics if they are constantly changing? I'd almost rather not have the information as it is basically unusable unless you consistently use your phone the same way every day.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I will have owned this phone for 2 weeks come Thursday and on each charge my battery has improved.

wp_ss_20121125_0001.png

Usage

Chive - Live Tiles
IMDB - Live Tiles
Twitter (Use both Rowi & Ocell) - Live Tiles
All Email on push (30 a day incoming)
125 SMS
4 Hours on Bluetooth in car
25 mins call
45 mins music
7 night photos (Football Match)

10 hours for a modern day smart phone with that usage is VERY reasonable IMO

Oktay Gardener

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

SpencerUK, I said GOD DAMN!!

That's ****ing amazing. craPhone 5 would be at 50% after just 4 hours bluetooth.

I don't give a damn if this phone weight 1kg, at least I don't have to be stranded in Stockholm City with no connection to the outside world at all!

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I have the same issue with my Lumia 920. Has anyone successfully returned their to Phones4U in the UK or got a replacement?

Workshop2

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I am trying at the moment, you can use the number "0844 871 2233" to get through to the tech depo.

Earlier my phone got really hot - I had nothing actively running (just a minimised rss reader and google app) and my battery drained >40% in under and hour. Ended up turning it off to solve to issue - no battery was used up them ;)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

My battery has been showing 100% since taking it off the charger three hours ago. Something's not going right here.. OK, it JUST switched to 99%. Still, clearly miscalibrated.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

My battery has been showing 100% since taking it off the charger three hours ago. Something's not going right here.. OK, it JUST switched to 99%. Still, clearly miscalibrated.

There is an issue with the battery calibration. My first phone, i left my batter untouched for 6 hours after charging to 100% and went to bed. Woke up 6 hours later, still at 100%, once it gets under, the drain is fast. I am on my second device now, the static 100% battery percentage is still there, but the drain isn't as bad.

I am guessing a lot of 920s have this 100% battery performance since i've read it numerous times already.

Also, my battery never goes below 4%, it will die at 4%, so really, 100% could mean 104% who knows

J_0han

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Hello everyone, I must say, I had some problems myself too.

In the beginning, I charged my phone till full like a good citizen should.
After this, I had quite a lot of use, since I was downloading apps and customizing my phone.

I put it on my USB charger connected to my PC and went to bed.
In the morning, it was fully charged, so I went about my business.

In five hours that morning, I had no calls, no texts, did not make or receive any of those, and being a smart phone veteran I had closed all the other background tasks but Locations service.
The battery had drained to 25% in those five hours.

I was like WHAAATT?? This phone is beautiful, and smooth, everything is great, except this.. And I was mad.

Well, I charged it in my car, and had little use that day, so I went home in the night and put the phone on the USB charger connected to my PC again.
Battery level was at 65-70 when I went to bed, and it was charging.
Next morning, battery level was 16%, while being connected to the charger.
I got pissed, I felt like I had been had..

Yes my PC was on for the whole time, so that shouldnt've been the issue.

Well, fastforward to next day, same scenario, but battery went to 11% during the night on charger.

Fastforward to next morning (copied from Nokia Support Forums, my own account);

"Hello everyone!

I personally have great news about my Lumia 920, it seems now that the phone has been in use for 4 to 5 days, the battery is "fully mature".

Also, I believe my problem was with the USB PC charger, maybe the fault is in my USB port, or the phone software, dont know.

But when I plugged the USB cable to the wall socket supplied with the phone, it charged it quick and full, and kept that full charge till morning.

Today, I had about 1-1? hours of talk, maybe an hour of internet use, and 10 or so text messages.

Battery level is 80%, and the phone has been off the charger for 11 hours.

Here are my current settings:

- Bluetooth OFF (except on occasions when I need it for sharing)

- WiFi OFF (expect on occasions when I surf via the WiFi, it is so quick!)

- Locations OFF (expect on occasions when I need to use navigation)

- NFC OFF

- Brightness Automatic

- Screen timeout 15min, but this is because I like to close the screen myself when looking at youtube videos etc.

- Screen sensitivity set to High

Apps:

- Connection Tiles (disabled in background)

- Battery Level For WP8 (this app's background usage is allowed)

- Nokia Drive Beta (disabled in background)

- WhatsApp (does not show on "background tasks menu", I wonder what's that all about, but it seems to be working)

- Some games that dont show up on background tasks, Chess, Plants vs. Zombies, Solitaire. Don't have Angry Birds because I already finished all of them including the newest Star Wars on my previous phone.

The thing is, now this phone is AMAZING!

And I will try to keep some of the background things on, like Locations, since I do like to use navigation quite a lot, and it annoys me to have to put it on every time separately.

So we'll see how the battery holds up.

And if it doesn't, maybe there is a need for a software update, where you limit the amount of GPS/locations activity in the background, when the phone is not actually being used to navigate, or view maps etc."

So right now, personally, I'm all good.
The phone is gorgeous, the angriness is settling down as I don't have to worry about the battery being drained.
And the phone works fabulously.
Some minor things I would change, but those will probably come with updates and apps.

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone noticed a change in battery life since nokia put out the big update in the app store? My black 920 had a great battery life until I ran the app update and now it seems that the battery life is not so great. This morning it is down 10% in 3 hours and that is with taking only 1 call.

Well this is even more interesting...just powercycled the phone and the battery meter went from 90% down to 67%. Something is wrong.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

i had 2 lumia 920's. one was black and the battery power was good but not as good as the second one which was red. the red one had excellent battery power. what i did different from the black to the red one was i let the red one drain completely til the phone turned off. the battery doesnt really drain completely because the phone turns itself off before a full drain to protect the battery. i noticed when i got both phones they had around 50% power. the black one i had i just took it home and charged it to full. the red one i had i let it drain from that initial 50% til it turned off then did a full charge to 100%. as i said the red ones power was much better at holding a charge after i did that. if you're within that 14 day return window, maybe you should take your 920 back, get a new one and then let the initial charge drain out then charge it til to full to see if that sets the battery life better.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Now that others have mentioned it, I think the battery calibration is off on my phone as well. I noticed that sometimes after taking the phone off the charger, it'll stay at 100% for an hour or so with minimal email/sms and idling. Then after 10-20 minutes of web browsing it'll drain down to a low 80%. Then I can use it for 30 minutes or so it'll drop only 1 or 2%. I haven't run the battery down all the way but I guess I'll leave it until it shuts off and see if that changes anything for my phone.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

does anyone know how to disable Location Services for SMS??? for some reason while i'm texting i'll see the icon pop up that it is getting my location. i have it disabled for CNN (which is running in the background), i have Set Time Automatically turned OFF, and i have no other applications running, including no reporting of anything to Microsoft. any idea what else could be asking for my location? i have a feeling this is part of the battery issue.

also, i don't want to fully disable location services because i want it to work when i launch 4th and mayor and Search when i open them without having to constantly toggle every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05